3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bye guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some of the new gas motors are lasting a very long time now. the highway patrol here in california uses crown victorias with triton 4.6 v8's in them and they run them 100,000 miles before they sell them off. these cars are then mostly purchased by cab companies and I have a freind whe does some service work on these cabs and he regularly sees them with 400,000 hard miles on them. untill about a month ago I thought "that" was amazing but my sons needed a vehicle to haul their band equipment in and we went to local impound yard to see if we could find a decent running van available for sale. we came across a nice looking 3/4 ton 97 ford extended van with a triton 5.4 v8 that absolutely purred and were amazed at how cheap it was....till we saw the odometer......532,000 miles!. we bought it for $1200 and they have driven it over 500 miles so far with no problems. everything still works too. air blows cold, cruise works. it even passed smog with a little help from a couple gallons of alchohol in the tank. but I do agree that gas will be right back up there with diesel very soon. diesel is 357 here and gas is 318 in sacramento. the price of fuel wont keep me from driving my truck but it has changed the way we RV. we have a 40ft bus conversion RV with an 8v71 detroit and it gets 5mpg on flat ground. its around a dollar a mile to drive it now and we have since bought a cab over camper for the truck. sad though to see the old bus sitting out back. you can still climb in a push the button and it fires right up and is ready to go but we dont use it at all unless we are going somewhere within 200 miles and are staying for at least a week. the first 3 years we owned it we put 40,000 miles on it. in the last 2 we have put on around 1000. we will probably keep it though to live in when we build a new house some day.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
Wouldn't it have been a little more economical and easier on the pocket book to KEEP the truck and buy a Honda Civic or something of the sort that gets approx 40mpgs and keep the truck for what they're built for, work?

Just my opinion, but I bought my truck for work and it just so happens to be my daily driver. But if times/fuel prices get too tough, I can't ditch my work truck for a less capable vehicle...I'd just spend 2 or 3 grand and buy a little commuter...
Bingo! Unless they PAID him to trade it in, it doesn't make sense to me. Then again, not much does I'm obtuse like that.

MOst people who have done this would find themselves paying the same or MORE for a vehicle that only gets marginally better mileage.

A used Civic goes for cheap, runs forever, and gets good mileage...
Old 11-15-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by levigarrett76
i wish i could ride a bike to work, but it woudl take me 8 hours. I miss being able to ride a bike to class in college. I didnt buy a drop of fuel during the whole fuel hike from hurricane katrina
I've been riding my bicycle to work now for a year and some. It's awesome. Since parking at work sucks, I'm usually FASTER than my neighbors to work if we leave at the same time (we work in the same building).

Bicycles give you nice little workouts, cost very little, and always give you rockstar-grade parking!

Justin
Old 11-15-2007, 11:44 AM
HOV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Well, I just might join the small exodus. I found a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Laramie 4X2 with most all the option boxes checked (nav, sunroof). list is $40,495. I am going to see if the dealer will "trade keys" today. I love the looks of the dually, but it is just a "driver" for me, not a work truck. If I am going to do it, now is the time, I've got the negotiating edge with it being so slow.

Who knows, maybe I'm .

I will post the results tonight.
I don't understand why you'd do this. Your truck is way more loaded than the gasser...? They're going to get the same mileage. If they don't, the gasser will be worse, not better.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM

I too was tempted to trade of on a brand new gasser.

After thinking about my choices, Im glad I went with another diesel.

I got $18k on the trade in for my old truck.... if it had been a gasser it would have been closer to $11k.

Just because its cheaper at the pump right now doesn't mean its going to be cheaper in the long run. Especially since most vehicles after the are sold new lose a ton of value. For some reason diesels, Toyotas, and Hondas are the few things that actually hold their value. Unless its a 30 year old muscle car, gasser trucks aren't worth squat after a few years. The diesel however will still holds its value.

Well, thats just my opinion and Im glad I didn't go with a gasser Man-van!

Have a good one.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN

Bicycles give you nice little workouts, cost very little, and always give you rockstar-grade parking!

Justin

..and E.D. too.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM

No major loss for some of us
Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by HOV
I don't understand why you'd do this. Your truck is way more loaded than the gasser...? They're going to get the same mileage. If they don't, the gasser will be worse, not better.
Well, it's done.

Because of the very low miles that I drive (12,538 at time of trade in today). I always get crummy mileage 8 miles to and from work. I typically got about 13 +/-. I got that or better with my 04 hemi QC. I expect to get somewhat better economy with the MDE hemi. This new truck has way more amenities (auto start, infinity, power sunroof, power rear slider, upgraded seats, navigation, steering wheel audio controls, etc).

Anyway, sure not bashing the Cummins. I will miss the turbo whistle. It was a neat truck, just wasn't right for what I use it for.

First time I was able to actually trade up 2 years and not take anything out of my pocket--- traded keys (of course paperwork) and drove off. My list for the 06 Dually was 44,000 the list for the 1500 is 40,500. Obviously tremendous resale for the diesel.

I'll still hang out here, but more at DodgeTalk. Everything's good.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

WoW! What a thread. I have been away from the forum for two months. Been traveling a lot. Still can find fuel cheaper than gas in some states. Sorry to hear you got a gasser but I can understand it for what you are doing. For me its nice to not have to fill up (better mpg) when the other gassers I am traveling with are empty. Also, when going up the grades I occasionally like to leave them behind just because I can. For me it still pencils out to run the CTD.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear you had to get rid of the big rig, its always a sad day!!

Ad removed site violation
Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 PM

I'll never sell mine. I don't care if fuel goes to $5 a gallon. I'll just have a really cool yard truck.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:18 PM

I got rid of my 2005 SRT10 for my Cummins! Didnt want to do it but, I was only getting 12 mpg on the HWY. For me, Yea, I get a lot better mileage!! I only have 3500 miles on the truck and I'm getting 14.5! Its a savings for me!!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:12 AM

In looking back, Had I purchased a diesel QC shortbox back in 06, I most likely would not have traded. I always had a "thing" about duallys. Just had to have one. I traded an 04 ram 1500 QC for it. Unfortunately, I just never "worked" the truck. Driving the big diesel back and forth to work for me was less than 10 miles...it never warms up. It was a pain to park alot of times and my wife refused to drive it, afraid to tear off the dually fenders.
It just wasn't the smartest buying decision for me, as I found out. I think the QC SB would have been driven by my wife, I would have gotten better economy and the $.40 difference between regular and diesel would not have "bugged" me.
I was only going to do this as a straight up trade. Which happend. I did not want to take any $'s out of the bank to do it. I want to replace the FZ1 this year and I want to pay cash for the difference. Gonna get a Kawasaki ZX-14.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:30 AM

If you bought the truck as a daily driver & you think its cool to drive a diesel thats ok, so sell it if you cann't afford to run it, but for those of us who use these vehicles for work, we need them to make a living for load carrying capacity, if the fuel costs more, my customers ultimately pay more. First & foremost, these are trucks built for work, if you buy them to use as grocery getters, don't complain about fuel milage. Mine gets 15 to 18 mpg, my buddys tundra gets 14 on a good day, my payload is 2X his, when you figure it this way, these trucks are economical. Stop complaining & take your medication or go buy a mountain bike.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by kokalit
Plus more dollars stay in America with an "American" brand vehicle.
That Toyota truck does more for the American economy than my Mexico Dodge.

Hate to hear the news, but hopefully the diesel bug bites you again!

Quick Reply: Bye guys