3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Buying New Truck - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yannik, do you travel in snow country? If so, the SRW is a better choice, particularly unloaded. You get more weight on the ground with 2 rear tires than with four, being of nearly similar size of course. DRW tend to load up with snow/ice. Forget going anywhere unloaded in a snow storm with a DRW.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by yannick
With a 4.10 the max trailer weight is:

DRW = 15,450
SRW = 15,600

So then my question becomes, why should I get a dually if a single rear wheel has the capacity to handle the loads?
The manufacturer's tow ratings you quote are computed as the truck's GCWR minus the curb weight of a base truck (no options or accessories) with only a 150 lb driver. Since the DRW truck is slightly heavier, it appears that the manufacturer's tow rating is lower.

Now, what ISN'T discussed is the GVWR side of the equation. A 5th wheel trailer can carry 20% or more of its total weight as pin weight. In the case of your 14,000 lb 5th wheel, this means that the truck has to carry 2,800 lbs of the trailer's weight on the hitch. With a 9,900 lb GVWR, the laden curb weight (LCW) of the truck (that is, with driver, passengers, full fuel tank, cargo, options and accessories (i.e., 5th wheel hitch, tool box, etc.) can be no more than 9,900 - 2,800, or 7,100 lbs. I seriously doubt you'll hit the road with a laden curb weight anywhere near 7,100 lbs.

In short, a SRW truck (2500 or 3500) will run out of GVWR before it runs out of GCWR when towing a heavy 5th wheel.

The following equations may help you as you're truck shopping:

Truck GCWR - truck LCW = maximum loaded total trailer weight

Truck GVWR - truck LCW = maximum loaded trailer hitch/pin weight

Rusty
Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM

Thanks Rusty that makes tons of sense

My particular pin weight is actually 2100 lbs. unreal but true. The trailer is an alpenlite and very bloody well designed so a higher than normal proportion of the load is at the trailer wheels with a level truck/trailer.

but yeah. the fiver pin weight dictates for sure so if I get a heavier one I've got problems

That said I'll get the 3500 SRW with the 3.73.

I can't get a bigger trailer due to where I need to go with it

the winter driving is a consideration as well .

thanks to everyone that had something to say it's been a great help

2005 Cummins 610........ Sounds pretty good.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05, Swb,4x4, auto, 3500 mi,17+mpg!

When I bought Mine I was only interested in 4.10's as when I replace stock tires w/33-35" I still want the torque to be off the map!

The auto has a higher overdrive ratio than the 6 sp.

2200 rpm @70 auto
2300 rpm @70 6sp ( 6 sp is heavier also)

I only tow 3k daily and it does not make any difference in my mileage.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:59 PM

I have the the set up you see in my signature and have been very happy with it. My 5er only weighs in about 8500 loaded but I frequently forget it is behind me. I have pulled Lookout Pass in Idaho on I-90 and almost ran over other people while going up. Going over the Blue Mtns in Oregon in May, pulling out of Pendleton it is a nice climb. Had a F250 with a 460 and it did a good job but no comparison with the Cummins. My total loaded weight of truck and trailer was in the 17,000 lbs area. While I don't know about a 5er weighing 14,000 lbs I went with the 3500 as I didn't feel comfortable knowing my weights with a 2500. JMHO
Old 02-09-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by MonkeyLips
Yannik, do you travel in snow country? If so, the SRW is a better choice, particularly unloaded. You get more weight on the ground with 2 rear tires than with four, being of nearly similar size of course. DRW tend to load up with snow/ice. Forget going anywhere unloaded in a snow storm with a DRW.
I travel in snow country all the time......rather...six months of the year. With and without my slide in camper......with & without towing sleds & 4wheelers. Never had a problem with the DRW loading up with snow and ice, and when the truck is empty and it's snowy/icy out, it's in 4x4 anyway....no problems. Lot's of other duallys here too....I can't say that I've ever seen a dually ditch diver here. Not that it can't happen, but most divers here are 4x4 SUV's and FWD cars
Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I finally decided on a Dually and couldn't be happier. See the signature...I've been busy loading it up with toys.

For people that tow large 5ver's, once you try a dually there's no turning back to SRW trucks. Soooo much more stable.

After towing with my new dually I have to agree with Rusty : 14K Trailer = Dually!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Thumbs up

All,
This is my first post, so please excuse the sig, I am trying to figure it out...

Yannick,
Another option would be to get the 4.10 and also get the gear vendors aux transmissions. From what I can gather this should drop the RPMs down 400 to 500 rpms. If this is not an option, I would probably go with the 3.73 rear end. I currently have a 12k fifth wheel, and have the occasion to add a second trailer with toys. This probably gets close to the 14k that you are quoting. Currently I have the NV5600 and 6-speed. Only thing I need now is a set of earplugs to drown out the wife screams of “your going to fast” up the mountain passes.

It’s one thing to have horsepower, it is something totally different to have Cummins horsepower.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by yannick
Thanks for all the advice guys. I finally decided on a Dually and couldn't be happier. See the signature...I've been busy loading it up with toys.

For people that tow large 5ver's, once you try a dually there's no turning back to SRW trucks. Soooo much more stable.

After towing with my new dually I have to agree with Rusty : 14K Trailer = Dually!
Glad to see you went with DRW. The stability and safety added for the weight you will carry to me outweighs the disadvantages. As far as dealing with the DRW's in parking lots... my wife does just fine with hers.