3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Which to buy - Used 2005 or a new 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which to buy - Used 2005 or a new 2008?

This is my first post here. I'm new to diesel trucks. I wanted one in 2005 when I purchased my 2005 Titan, but couldn't afford the $38K they were demanding at the time when the Titan was $25K and my wife was still in school. Finances have changed and it is time to get a Cummins. The Titan gets 8 mpg towing my trailer at 75 mph (9.5 mpg at 65 mph) and does a good job for a 1/2 ton truck, it gets 13 mpg city, 16 mpg highway unloaded. I'm primarily looking at the diesel for better economy (Less gallons of fuel used regardless of the difference in fuel cost) and heavier duty running gear for safer long distance towing.

Most of my driving (15K/year) is normal commuting. I will be doing more out of state wheelin trips going forward. I tow a 20' car hauler rated for 14K with my rock crawler on it, total loaded weight is generally 9200 lbs. I purchased the trailer in 2006 with the idea I would buy a diesel truck that would be well matched to it.

I found a used 2005 2500 regular cab 4x2 for sale locally. It is a SLT and basically equipped exactly as I would order a new one. It has 13K miles on it and the owner is asking $22K. Private party value shows about $20K, but the truck looks like new. After looking at the 2005 I went to the Dodge dealer and checked out the 2008. The sales guy told me that they are doing between $10K-$13K off of sticker on all 2500 trucks. The 2008 as I would order it would run me about $30K out the door (4x2 regular cab, auto trans, sport package).

I was reading in the 2007+ forum that the emissions system is really degrading economy. What kind of MPG should I expect from the 2005 or 2008in the 4x2 regular cab configuration? It seems like most of the posters reporting MPG are running a 4x4 quad or mega cab. Are features like the 6 speed auto trans and the integrated exhaust brake worth getting an 08? I'm looking at this purchase as a 10 year truck, not something to turn in 2-3 years.

Thanks for any input.

Mitch
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably be about 1 to 2 MPG difference and yes the EB and 6 speed auto would be worth it. You should be fine with 3.73 gears pulling that weight. Anything over 10,000lbs and I would get the 4.10 option. The new auto tranny makes the truck from what I hear. Just be ready for a possible few hiccups in software. Dodge seems to have that all worked out. Pulling you should get 10 to 12 MPH and empty will be around 15-16 MPG. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 PM

I get anywhere from 10 with a hard head wind to 14.5 (again depending on wind resistance running the columbia gorge.) but that is with my truck lifted and it being a 4x4. For the savings in the cash and the fact that the 05 is like new and you are getting a VERY PROVEN truck with all the intel you need on it, I would go 05 hands down. The tow I pull is a bumper pull toyhauler loaded around 10K to 10.5K. So with 3:73 in a 2x4 I would guess loaded you will be looking at about 11-15 mpg range. Tough decision but you will need the fuel money and appreciate the proven reliablility!!!! Plus NO salesman to deal with.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:03 AM

If I were getting the truck with an auto trans no question I'd wait a few months and get the 08 when the 09's come out. If I were getting a stick shift I'd go for an 05.

I've read and listened to enough dissatisfaction with the autos that I wouldn't buy a pre 6 speed. I wouldn't want to buy a truck and have to put 3 to 5k into the transmission.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:41 AM

if you are planning on hauling/pulling why would you get and auto when there very good 6 speed avail.???

INever understood these guy wanting auto's and stating they are gonna do a fair share of hauling/pulling.....
Old 04-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Because auto's are better to pull with.....And the only time you hear anyone complaining about the auto's is when you add additional power. If you leave it stock, it will provide yrs of reliable service. This isn't 1980, sticks aren't the best anymore....Look at all the new trucks, you basically have to order one with a manual to get one. Plus at that, I think the standard trucks are derated....at least they were a while back.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM

Run for that 2005 if the owner has records to show maintenance. It's at a fair price.

I have an auto but I like handshakers too. I wouldn't base my purchase on that. Sticks allow effective engine braking.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Just my $.02, but I would snag up that 2005. That's a great truck and sounds like its almost new. The "older" trucks with the low miles are hard to find and beat (I've been looking).

I will say though, that 6 speed auto is nice and especially with that OEM exhaust brake. However, for the difference in price, you could but certainly don't have too, build that tranny to be more efficient and throw in an exhaust brake. In addition you don't have all the emission stuff to deal with.

The new trucks are nice but that 5.9 is awesome and gets better mileage.

Either way though, you can't go wrong.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:07 PM

08 with auto. Great deals,you stated will keep up to 10 years.The brake,the trans,more power.No shuttle shift(48re)no plastic intercooler,05 already heading for 5 years old etc.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:37 PM

As far as manual transmissions go, the only automatic I've owned is in the Titan. All of my previous pickups, my rockcrawler, and the wife's accord are manual trans. What I read in some of the magazine reviews is that the manual trans in the Dodge likes slow and steady, not quick shifting. My thought is that on the manual trans I would be losing the boost on every shift and having to wait for the turbo to spool up again, no? The other thing is that I live in Phoenix, and stop and go traffic is a factor. I like the automatic when the freeway is a parking lot. My useage will likely be 85% commuting, 15% towing. If I could afford a truck and a daily driver car

I went to a Dodge dealer today to check out the new ones. I'd never actually driven a Cummins, just ridden in a couple, so I decided to go for a test drive. They told me they didn't have any regular cabs, so I took out a quad cab 4x4 SLT with the auto. It drove very nice, and was quieter than I expected. It had plenty of power to rocket up the freeway ramp and merge into traffic at 75 mph. The engine was turning 2000 RPM going 80 mph. It was an impressive ride. We went back to the dealer and found that they did have a regular cab after all. It was a left over (build date 06/2007, 45 miles on it) 2007 SLT with the tow package and not much else. I took it for a drive on the same route as the 4x4. The 4x2 seemed a little bouncier than the heavier 4x4 on the small bumps, that is probably to be expected or could be the different 4x2 suspension. From one of the stop signs I floored it up to about 50 mph. It did a good job of chirping the tires on every shift and pulled hard. I had enough room in the regular cab (I'm 6'5" 330 lbs), but to be comfortable the angle adjustments of the power seat are a must. When it came to them wanting to talk numbers they were only wanting to give me $10500 for my Titan, and were trying to add $2500 in typical dealer crap on the advertise price of $26888. I walked, of course.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 AM

If it is a 5.9 2007 get it after you squeeze them. If it is the 6.7 2007 skip it.

The 2008's have the problems worked out but the 2007's had some problems with the programming. Saying that Dodge and the big "C" have worked out most of the difficulties on the 07.5. But you'd be taking a bigger chance. The 2005 sounds great but then you'd have to sell the ole Titan outright. That could be a little longer process.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 PM

The 07 was a late model 07 with the 6.7. The truck was a little plane jane for me. I would like to have the power pedals (my woman is 5'2" tall), limited slip rear axle, and the popular equipment group or sport package on a flame red truck. I may end up with a quad cab depending on the incentives this summer on the left over 08 models. There are only 3 regular cab SLT trucks showing on the dealer inventories in Phoenix, all are white, 2 are 4x4.

I need to sell the Titan outright regardless of which Dodge I purchase. I am subsantially upside down in it, and I want to minimize my loss. I ended up taking an 84 month loan on it because my woman was still in school and I needed a smaller payment. I refuse to roll the negative equity into another truck. I owe $18300, and I'm hoping to private sell it for $15000. If I can't sell it I'll be driving it instead if a CTD.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:37 PM

lrdchaos,

Auto's are better to pull with?

hmm how much hauling/pulling have you done? Give it to me in miles.

Just because you have to order a manual doesn't mean the auto's are better.

Ya sound young.. at least you react like it
Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 PM

dnrhorst,

I know you were addressing the other guy, but I wanted to respond. In my opinion the manual trans is better for pulling, especially when compared with the older auto trans technology. The newer autos with computer control are definately improving, but I still can't make an auto (like the one in my Titan) do exactly what I want it to do like I could with a manual. There is also the question of parasitic losses and the lockup feature of the torque converter that the manual transmission does not have. That being said, I will choose an automatic for my next truck because 85% of the time all I'm doing is commuting. If I were pulling 85% of the time my choice would be a manual.

Mitch
Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I wouldn't trade my 05 for a newer truck with all the same mods, just because of the 5.9 and fuel mileage difference of the newer 6.7.

Quick Reply: Which to buy - Used 2005 or a new 2008?