3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bumpers rusting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpers rusting?

My 06 Ram has 1500 miles on it and I noticed a small rust spot on the front bumper. Took it to the dealer and the Lady service manager was all ready to schedule it in for a warenty replacement untill she found out I didn't buy the truck there. Then all of a sudden it must be from an acident and it looks like it was hit total bs. So I ask if a cat back exhaust would hurt? Her response if I do not get it from them it will void my entire warenty.haha. Time to look for a diffrent dealer to do buisness with. Owning a custom shop I am not about to not mod my truck.
Has anyone else noticed poor chromeing?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Altered Image
My 06 Ram has 1500 miles on it and I noticed a small rust spot on the front bumper. Took it to the dealer and the Lady service manager was all ready to schedule it in for a warenty replacement untill she found out I didn't buy the truck there. Then all of a sudden it must be from an acident and it looks like it was hit total bs. So I ask if a cat back exhaust would hurt? Her response if I do not get it from them it will void my entire warenty.haha. Time to look for a diffrent dealer to do buisness with. Owning a custom shop I am not about to not mod my truck.
Has anyone else noticed poor chromeing?
That sounds about right. F__King cheap **** bastig.
A cat back system will not void your warranty.
Same goes for an air intake mod.
I run a cool hose between my turbo and stock air box, and would love to see them try to void my warranty.
I hope you can find a dealer that`s not to proud.... and no, I have no issue`s with my bumpers.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 AM

I would keep at them on the bumper. If you let them off of the hook then they will be rewarded for the bad behavior. Keep working on the bumper, but do not let them touch the rest of the truck
Old 01-09-2007, 08:19 AM

bumper rust

I have an 06 also and have noticed some rust discoloration starting it seems under the plastic part, just where the plastic ends on the outer edges od the front bumper , both l & r sides. I didn't buy mine brand new, and wondered if I should say anything, still under the 3-36 warranty.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

I have a turbo back on my truck and unless they can prove that the aftermarket exhaust was the cause of say a blown motor or tranny, then they can't void anything. They are simple bolt ons that don't alter the electrical characteristics that the stock ECM put out, such as plugging in a module or hooking up a downloader to your OBDII port...then you get into more extreme hp and tq, more fueling, higher EGTs (if you like the skinny pedal like me) and a higher probability of tranny failure...if you want your exhaust, go for it, they can't prove anything. As for the bumper, I agree with the rest, stay in their case and make them fix it if it is warrantied (I think that rust through is like 5 years or 60,000 miles or something to that effect)....sounds like the dealership you were at is just trying to snake out of the work because you didn't buy from them...which is unacceptable. What would a guy like me do everytime I switch duty stations if where I ended up, the new dealer told me that I couldn't be serviced under warranty because I wasn't in the purchase state/county?

Derek
Old 01-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

If you don't want to deal with them you can use steel wool and rub all the rust off and then coat your bumper with Turtle Wax or equivalent. The wool should get rid of all the little pits and rust and the wax should keep it from rusting more...at least for a while. That is the bandaid, the real fix is them replacing your bumper...but it seems like all I've read on here this week is about dealerships and problems. I'm glad I'm learing to do most of the engine work myself......and it helps that my father has a body shop. Heck with the dealers...'cept Luke, he seems cool.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If you don't want to deal with them you can use steel wool and rub all the rust off and then coat your bumper with Turtle Wax or equivalent. The wool should get rid of all the little pits and rust and the wax should keep it from rusting more...at least for a while. That is the bandaid, the real fix is them replacing your bumper...but it seems like all I've read on here this week is about dealerships and problems. I'm glad I'm learing to do most of the engine work myself......and it helps that my father has a body shop. Heck with the dealers...'cept Luke, he seems cool.
Steel wool will work very well, if not better than anything else. Use fine steel wool though. After that use a quality chrome polish, like Wenol if you can find it. Others will work. After polishing it (it will get the fine scratches out if any) then put a quality synthetic wax on it. It will last longer than carnuba based. Yes it will just be a bandaid. It's also an excuse to get a winch bumper like Road Armor or Buckstop! My wife says I have to wait .
Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
It's also an excuse to get a winch bumper like Road Armor or Buckstop! .
10-4 on that. Get your welder out and get started!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Got to love the great customer service, what a piece of crap! I'd just stick to that shop because they shouldn't get away with junk like that.

I'm looking at painting my bumpers- any good idea on how to get the chrome off so the paint will stick (other than rust lol). Would sandblasting work at all?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 PM

The bumper and the wheels(chrome clad steelies) on my rig started showing small rust spots about nine months ago. I wash the truck all the time and under coat it, I wouldn't expect to see any rust for at least five or more years. I did the steel wool thing and have been able to keep the rust from getting worse. I have yet to find a dealership in central NH or VT that is worth squat, everytime I get some new load of bs excuse about how they can't do something or need to charge extra for it. Keep after that dealership with regard to the bumper, however, I wouldn't trust them to do any other service to your truck.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM

So I called another dodge dealer a little further up the road. Turns out the Body shop manager is an old freind of mine. Well the bumper is getting replaced he didn't even have to look at it, While he was on the phone I ordered rear wheel well liners, and a sport grill shell. Also he gave me good news on the service manager and he is mod freindly unless it is a legit mod caused failure. So I orded a turbo back, juice hot with A2 and a AFE intake, Next on the mods list will be a 6" super lift 37" Toyo's and black rockstars.
Sad part is the first service manager didn't know who I was, I buy parts off them all the time for my shop..... Oh well guess they lost all that buisness as well.