3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

bumper poles pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 08:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
rocky742,

I didn't mean to offend anyone, and besides, I wouldn't call 65 elderly. If you like the look or find them helpful, then by all means go for it.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dave65
Rocky,if you like them,and feel they will aid you in some situations,id say go for it they are used for a reason,and if it will help you enjoy your truck better,then it would be a good choice
Exactly the kind of post we expect from the members here.

I wish I would have had them the first week I had my truck.
Kissed a cement lamp post in the dealers parking lot.
(front end a bit longer than my Tacoma I traded)

Then again when I got my new bumper, kissed another post at the mini mall.

Still afraid I'm going to run over those imports in the parking lot.
I pull in 'till their windshield disapears below my grill, then I know I have 2 feet left before I run over them.

phox
Old 05-04-2004, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by phox_mulder
Exactly the kind of post we expect from the members here.

I wish I would have had them the first week I had my truck.
Kissed a cement lamp post in the dealers parking lot.
(front end a bit longer than my Tacoma I traded)

Then again when I got my new bumper, kissed another post at the mini mall.

Still afraid I'm going to run over those imports in the parking lot.
I pull in 'till their windshield disapears below my grill, then I know I have 2 feet left before I run over them.

phox
I know I sometimes wished I had them
Old 05-04-2004, 08:51 PM

SORRY MAN, NO OFFENSE BUT "FAIRY RODS" ARE FOR FAIRYS
While your at it if you really want the big rig look cut a 6 inch hole in the passengers fender well near the cab and run you air intake out through it then go to a semi shop and buy and external air intake in one fo those chrome 5 gallon buckets and mount it on your fender, then 2 external tanks and stacks and you would be set....
I think they look really stupid. If I saw someone driving around with those things on, I'd pee myself laughing
Man, this is a funny thread! I think if I read any more I'll pee myself! lol
Old 05-04-2004, 09:05 PM

Hey Rocky742, I think they would look good and are functional, when you get them installed please e-mail me some pics, i want to get some also but cant find them anywhere.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think anyone would disagree that having those things on your truck would look cooler than kissing a light post (which in turn would look cooler than both having the bumper poles and kissing a light post, which would be my luck).

I suppose my older friend could wire the little lights that come on the ends of those bumper poles to the turn signals, so he'd notice when the blinker didn't self-cancel... (easy there, just kidding around).

Although I won't be ordering a set, I really don't think they look bad. If after you get a set, you find yourself drawn to put self-stick reflectors all over your vehicles, then you've gone too far and it's time to seek professional help. (If there is someone out there reading this with reflectors stuck all over his truck, I was kidding and didn't mean to cheeze anyone off).

I know the semi style air cleaner thing was intended as a joke, but an appropriately sized one along with a straight pipe exhaust stack and those bumper poles might look kind of neat. Naturally, you would also have to get a set of chrome naked lady mud flaps.

Seriously, for a second, if I liked them I would have them and not care what anyone else thought.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Banned

They look dumb!!! Any ?'s
Old 05-05-2004, 12:33 AM

The things are not on big trucks for a fashion statement, nor are the antennas on west coast mirrors. Of the three pictures, the Dodge was the only one that came near to functional. They are to tell you where the front corner is on the truck. Tell you what, get up to 65 foot long or longer and you would be amazed at how many times a day you are squeezing the last couple of inches while manovering in some parking lot or tight intersection. That is what they are for and it is a case if you need them who cares what others think. But they do have to show the front corner of the truck, not back a foot where they only make a statement. If I ever find a pair that look decent and mount properly, I will get some.

A roof mounted antenna or a bed mounted antenna does no good if you have a trailer higher than the antenna, and while most of the signal comes from the bottom to mid section of the antenna, the mirror mounted antenna comes into use. Two cophased mirror mount antennas do pretty good at getting around the trailer. Not much way to get good signals on a big trailer without the antennas out there over nine foot wide.

Yeah curb feelers, I one day will make a set of feelers on the tail of the trailer so that I can ease around and the feelers will kick on a light or tone to let me know I am too close. My son and I used to take bets on how long the right side, rear marker light would stay on this time. Want to see something interesting, hook a chain link fence while doing a U turn. Amazing.... 99% of the time all you get is a minor kiss of a pole or fire hydrant, usually cant see them things in the dark. Only damage is another marker light.

Try as you will, now and then with 15 1/2 foot over hang, 18 foot with a car back there, now and then there is a nick or two, all the help guides that are available are a big help. You should see where some of the car lots that I deliver to are located. Down alleys and pulling in the back of the gates of car dealers that are made for SUV's and cars.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:35 AM

you guys just wait, when my new white 04 3500 comes in and i get them on,
i'll post a pic. then some of you guys will be crying for a pair.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rocky,

You did ask for opinions, I would not be caught dead with them on my truck, as I said earlier, I know exactly where my truck front end is. But if you like them go for it!
Old 05-05-2004, 06:13 PM
J&L

Boy , some that replied came across like first class jerks. Guess it takes all kinds .
Rocky742, do you have a web for them? thanks.............JIM
Old 05-05-2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Dave65
Rocky,if you like them,and feel they will aid you in some situations,id say go for it they are used for a reason,and if it will help you enjoy your truck better,then it would be a good choice
I'm with Dave. The only other alternative is what I sometimes have to do with my work truck is get out and look. That's kind of hard if you're turning in traffic. Some folks are just too busy to wait 3 seconds to let some one make their manuver safely.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:42 PM
J&L

Rocky742
check awdirect.com under truck accessories / bumper guides if these work for you. I have seen them on pickups pulling r/v's that were about the size of cb antenna. I'm still lookin'.............JIM
Old 05-05-2004, 08:47 PM

go for it

rocky not all of the guys on here think that their crase humor is so funny.if you like em and need them go for it. i do think they would look better if they were black.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by J&L
Rocky742
check awdirect.com under truck accessories / bumper guides if these work for you. I have seen them on pickups pulling r/v's that were about the size of cb antenna. I'm still lookin'.............JIM
Jim the big truck guides are made of chromed tubing. The little light at the top just pushes in. YOu can use a tubing or pipe cutter and cut them down, clean the burr and the light will push right back in. Is best to coat the end so that it does not rust.

Quick Reply: bumper poles pics