3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bull bar and KC light installation question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bull bar and KC light installation question?

Well its warm enough to put the bull bar on (above 30 degrees)...so I started that this morning. the bull bar looks like it will go on without a hitch...but attaching the KC driving lights is giving me a problem.

It does not look like I will be able to use all of the mounting hardware (2 washers with rubber washers/adjusters). If I try to use all of these the light will be pointed down and the back of the light will hit the bull bar. If I start to take away some of the hardware I can get it to work. This means just using the bell shaped piece and one of the rubber washers. I worry that if I don't use all of the hardware that it will just lead to problems down the road.

So....if anyone who has installed similar driving lights on the weston bull bar...I need to hear from you on how you did it ASAP.

On a side note...when I pulled the license plate holder I found RUST...so maybe this is just my truck...but you might want to take a look under that plastic plate holder.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by angleiron
Well its warm enough to put the bull bar on (above 30 degrees)...so I started that this morning. the bull bar looks like it will go on without a hitch...but attaching the KC driving lights is giving me a problem.

It does not look like I will be able to use all of the mounting hardware (2 washers with rubber washers/adjusters). If I try to use all of these the light will be pointed down and the back of the light will hit the bull bar. If I start to take away some of the hardware I can get it to work. This means just using the bell shaped piece and one of the rubber washers. I worry that if I don't use all of the hardware that it will just lead to problems down the road.

So....if anyone who has installed similar driving lights on the weston bull bar...I need to hear from you on how you did it ASAP.

On a side note...when I pulled the license plate holder I found RUST...so maybe this is just my truck...but you might want to take a look under that plastic plate holder.
I BOUGHT MY 05 BRAND NEW AND THE BUMPERS HAD RUST WITHIN MONTHS
MUST BE MADE OUT OF CHEAP METAL...AND LOUSY CHROME JOB
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 AM

I had the same interference problem when I putting my PIAA lights on my Westin bull bar. Since I wanted the lights pointing further down the road than 10 feet, I drilled holes in the top of the bull bar and mounted them there. It looks a bit like a truck with a snow plow fitting on the front, but now the lights light up the road and don't protrude in front of the bar.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
jdh

I got the exact same setup on my truck but when I was purchasing it the salesman advised the regular sized lights won't fit on this bar in the provided mounting holes unless you go with the 6" "slimlight". This is what I did and it worked out perfect. I would suggest exchanging your lights if at all possible for the slimlight. It would likely save you some grief down the road. Just my 2cents.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Do you have any pics of the bull bar installed on your truck? I am debating on putting one on mine but some pics I've seen in catalogs make the bar look like it hangs too low. They may be using some cut and paste graphics.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 AM

I did not put it on yet...since I saw the rust I am going to bring it in to the dealer today. As for swapping the lights, I bought the HID's...and there is no slimlight version that I can find. Bought these mail order too...so returning them will suck (no one local had them, and no returns on special orders).

I think I have an idea, but need to see if it will work before posting on the outcome.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:29 AM

Maybe you could post some pics of the problem. I'm sure we'll have plenty of ideas to take care of it.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:58 PM
jdh

Pleyster and Angleiron;

Sorry, I haven't been around for a while. PM me if you are still interested in pics of my bull bar or further info on the slimlight. Here is the link for the slimlights - http://www.kchilites.com/store/SlimLite-C17.aspx