3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

build quality on Dodge vs Ford

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spots,

Now if only Ford would buy Cumming(s) again and put the 5.9 in the Superduty....
That would be Cummins, young fella . Add to that the Allison transmission and you would have one fine truck.

Neil
Old 02-24-2004, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spots come on up here and well show you some mountains I bet you will love locking them hubs on columbia Ave in Seattle During rush hour(all day/night) when the first fall rains hit. Man I laugh at you manual lockers everytime I spray slush on ya as I drive up US-12. My driveway is steeper than any hill you probably seen lately.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ttreibel
Spots come on up here and well show you some mountains I bet you will love locking them hubs on columbia Ave in Seattle During rush hour(all day/night) when the first fall rains hit. Man I laugh at you manual lockers everytime I spray slush on ya as I drive up US-12. My driveway is steeper than any hill you probably seen lately.
Ahh Seattle. Yes. Suicide capital of the world. 29 minutes of sunlight a year. Rain measured in feet. Bethca save a ton o' money on washing your truck eh?? lol. Thanks for the offer but only way I will ever be there is against my will (forcefully confined). Ohio is too far north for me. Brrrrrr ccccoooollllldddddd bbbrrrrrrr.... Have a good one.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:20 AM

I've had both and Ford build quality was why I went to Dodge. Lots of little problems with the F250. None, so far, with the Dodge, except for the way it seems to eat Windshields in the Winter.........maybe it's the rocks on the road???
Old 02-26-2004, 07:13 AM

At this point, I haven't owned either a Ford or Dodge, but I have a Dodge on order. A lot of my decision was based on the fit, finish and feel. I sat a "loaded" Ford F250 and a Dodge 2500 side-by-side. The feel of the doors closing, the position of ***** and ammenities won me over to the Dodge. As far as ride, noise and power, again the Dodge won. I had a little better vision in the F250 I have to admit. But on a 20 min test drive my back was killing me on both the bench and buckets seats of the Ford while in the Dodge I was comfy. Finally, price-to-price the Dodge won hands down. I couldn't have gotten near as nice an interior in the Ford. It is good to know in addition that the Cummins is a kick-*** motor hooked up to a good manual transmission. My warranty on the Dodge is long enough that I'm not worried about the 4WD issue. I'm not sure I could say that with Ford. End-point, it was the fit, finish and feel of the Dodge that won me.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:31 PM

[
As for quality on the Dodge vs Ford debate, I'd say they're both pretty good. More important things, I feel, are motor and drivetrain. For me, I'd rather be driving with a few squeaks and rattles then not driving with no rattles. I don't mean Dodge (or Ford) has quality issues, I mean its more important that the truck gets me where I need to go when I need to go there. And that is why I opted for the Dodge over the Ford!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

I've been driving the ram diesel since about 1990 and have put well over a million miles on them. Aside from my personal truck, we run a small fleet of of Ram CTD's. Have never had any problems to speak of, usually keep a truck till it has around 175K to 200K miles on it. The automatics can be a problem, but we learned early to change the ATF every 12 months or earlier depending on miles. Since we started doing that, have had very little tranny trouble.

As far as the ford, dodge, chevy comparrison. Each has plus's over the other. Chevies interiors are, IMHO, the nicest. Really funtional, well laid out, more comfortable seats etc. However, their engine is a looser. Lots of fuel injector problems and it's a fairly new motor so they are still working the bugs out.

As far as ford goes. I wouldn't have their diesel. Never ever thought much of it. They are all smokers and the new ones are really giving ford a hard time.

So, I stick with dodge. They are less expensive than Fords, I find them very reliable, get better mileage etc. I have never had paint problems, the 4x4's we have owned have always been reliable, have never had a lift pump go out. The only engine issues I have every had was with 2nd gen truck. You had to tab a dowell pin in the timing gear box that tended to migrate out. I think cummins fixed around 1998 or 99. Otherwise, never a problem.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NJMurvin, That Allison 1000 did not turn out to be "the deal" Chebby thought it would be. I read a magazine article that said they defuel the heck out of the engine in certain gears to keep it from grenading the transmission!!! I've had many,many Dodges from the late 70's through modern times, overall they have been far better than the Fords. I had a 1999 F-350 PSD that needed a new engine at 69K!! Ford wanted 14K to replace it.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:03 AM

One day last fall my sister-in-law called and asked if I'd go test drive 3/4 ton diesel trucks with her. After driving a Ford SD 250 6.0, GMC 2500HD CC Duramax, and finally a Dodge QC 2500 5.9 CTD, I could not stop thinking about the Dodge. At the time, I had a 2003 GMC 1500 x-cab 5.3L z71, and had no intention of buying a new truck. I was so impressed with the Dodge that I had a new '04 two weeks later (bought it on 10/1/03).

The fit and finish on the Dodge are far superior to any truck I have owned, (well just as good as the Nissan I had several years ago.) The handling is inspiring. The frame and steering (not R & P on 2500/3500) on this truck is a work of art.

The Ford was Okay. The steering was HORRIBLE, no feel, dead and unresponsive. The interior was dated and boring. Fit and Finish was better than the GMC, but not as good as the Dodge. The 6.0L made the truck a hot rod, but the Cummins HO wasn't too far off the mark. Ford uses a Dana 50 up front. Dodge uses the AAM 9.25, which is similar to the Dana 60; superior to the Dana 50. The Ford drives like a truck. The GMC drives like an old caddy. The Dodge drives like a solid well built sportscar.

For me, there was really no comparison. It's no wonder why it got 2003 Motor Trend truck of the year! I never thought I'd own a gen 3 Dodge. I didn't like the grille, but after actually driving one a few times, I couldn't live with out one!