3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Broken overhead map light

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken overhead map light

Greetings all, been a long time since I've visited or posted. Been busy driving my truck and loving it! At this point it's got a total of a bit over 102,000 miles on it. I bought it in September '04 with 24 miles on it (not 24k, 24) and it has been extremely reliable and a joy to own.

Last night when my fiance and I were driving to El Paso she was playing with the map light (part of the overhead console that displays MPG, temperature/heading, etc.) and she broke it. This is the one on the passenger side. Right now the lens will just move up and down. I believe that the assembly somehow broke loose inside, as you can't feel the button/switch underneath it. I'm sure I can fix it without a problem, but my question is how do I remove that overhead console without breaking anything? Do I just need to pry it down with a screwdriver or is there some special technique to keep from breaking it?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Question Mine is also BROKEN!! and Overhead Module Question

My passenger map light is also broken; the little clips (tangs) broke right off!! I will hate to buy a new one.

But on to something else, has anyone removed the overhead module?? I was thinking about swapping it for the one with the garage door opener built-in.

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers!!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear Abby Advice

I would replace the light and replace the girlfriend at the same time. No excuses for wrecking a guys truck!!! Diesels before Ho's!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:36 PM

First thing is first, teach the girl friend the error in her ways hurting your baby like that.
Next, pop the lens covers off on both sides. There is a little slot at the rear of each lens. Stick a small flat blade screw driver in there and the lens will fold down. It is hinged at the front edge and when you get the rear down you will see this and be able to pop the lens the rest of the way out with the screw driver. I believe you have to remove the bulbs and then you will find a few torx head screws. Remove these screws and you can slide the console to the rear of the truck to unhook the front edge and it will fall down then.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 AM

Women!, can't live with them, can't ....
Old 07-28-2006, 06:34 PM

Cool

WOW!!! NO one out there has ever pulled their overhead console!! Seem a bit odd, the maintenance manual talks about removing a couple of screws....but I didn't see any. Is it held in with spring clips (i.e. like the dash panels)?

Thanks in advance!!