3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

brighter headlight bulbs ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad's 05 doesn't have foglights. Only the thunderoad package got you them.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I didn't bother with the headlights themselves but I did get the Fogzilla mod from Genos which allows you to run almost double powered bulbs in your foglights. It makes a huge difference in the "width" you are looking for. I did Silverstars in my old 03 truck and while they did help, it was not that much and they tend to burn out after about a year. That was my experience anyways.....
X2 on the Fogzilla improvement!!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mtman86
In an earlier post, someone gave a website that clarifies info on wattage and candlepower/lumens, danielsternlighting.com. Great info on lighting. I took their recommendations and ordered the following items from candlepowerinc.com.
Item Unit Price Qty. Cost
9005 (HB3) Bulbs: Narva® RangePower+30® High-Output 9005 (HB3) 65w Bulb $17.10 2 $34.20
Philips Xtreme Power H13 / 9008 (TWO PACK) $38.33 1 $38.33
Subtotal: $72.53
Shipping: $5.63
Tax: $0.00
Total: $78.16

They work great.
Were these drop in replacements for the factory installed high and low beams? If so, which gave the biggest improvement over stock?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Chapter President

My recommendations:

Add Fog lights and do the fogzilla mod.
A bulb upgrade only helps so much. Look for a high quality hi/low HID kit. there is no modification needed. other than mounting the ballasts. I recommend Flashtech as a brand.

Read this thread here for what I did to my second gen. Most of it applies to a third gen.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-t189530.html
Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM

another option is to make a HD relayed harness. have the factory switch and sockets trip a relay which powers the bulbs.

the factory switch trips the relays
the relays are powered straight from hot power
the relays then power the bulbs when tripped.

this significantly reduces the load on the factory switch and greatly improves the juice at the bulbs themselves.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by haloman
My recommendations:

Add Fog lights and do the fogzilla mod.
A bulb upgrade only helps so much. Look for a high quality hi/low HID kit. there is no modification needed. other than mounting the ballasts. I recommend Flashtech as a brand.

Read this thread here for what I did to my second gen. Most of it applies to a third gen.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-t189530.html
Yea i just read that.

That light output from the 6000k is all he wants!!! nice white light.

I found a 6000k kit for $80 for his truck... i think the bulb replacement is 9007 type or something.

Thanks for all the help!! if some factory fog lights fall into our lap that'd be awesome !
Old 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Chapter President

You just need housings and connectors, you could wire the rest to a switch thru a relay.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jswar
Were these drop in replacements for the factory installed high and low beams? If so, which gave the biggest improvement over stock?
The Phillips Xtreme H13 are the headlight bulb up grades. The Narva +30 9005 are the foglight bulbs. I used the fogzilla setup and upgraded from 9006 to 9005 bulbs. The foglight update was definitely a difference, although alot of that is attributed to updating to 9005 series bulbs. The Phillips H13 was a nice surprise; they are better on low beam, and significantly better on high beam w/ a stronger beam projected further out than the originals. Which is better? If you dont use your fogs much, do the headlight update. Me? I'm happy I did both of 'em. We have white stuff up here and I use my fogs.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 PM

My opinion: Get HID's and be done with it.

I tried some super-duper bulbs, and two exploded - one in the headlight, and one in the fog light housing. Had to buy two new housings. Installed the silverstars in the fogs, and silverstar ultras in the headlights. They were ok, but didn’t last long. I finally ordered 6k HID's for the headlights and fogs, with the correct resistors and relay. Awesome white light! You can really see with 'em!

Mike
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Old Smoky
My opinion: Get HID's and be done with it.

I tried some super-duper bulbs, and two exploded - one in the headlight, and one in the fog light housing. Had to buy two new housings. Installed the silverstars in the fogs, and silverstar ultras in the headlights. They were ok, but didn’t last long. I finally ordered 6k HID's for the headlights and fogs, with the correct resistors and relay. Awesome white light! You can really see with 'em!

Mike
Dang, just ordered Silverstar Ultras for heads and fogs...hope that they last for me.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by psd1
Dang, just ordered Silverstar Ultras for heads and fogs...hope that they last for me.
I have had em' for almost two years and no problems. If they die tomorrow I'm over it.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another thing that can be addressed is with the weak voltage system to the headlights. Daniel Stern Lighting has a kit for the 9007 that upgrades the system to run straight off of the battery so there is mininum voltage loss. Everything is included in the kit except the wiring for about $59. Kit is plug and play, no splicing needed, except for maybe adding load resistors to the relays so the TIPM won't trip the lights out indicator.

MikeyB
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by FLYH2O
I have had em' for almost two years and no problems. If they die tomorrow I'm over it.
I agree, if I get 2 years Ill be OK with that...if they provide better lighting! Of course I'll hang on to the current bulbs for replacements. Did you notice better lighting with them, I'm considering changing one side at a time to check the difference.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by mtman86
The Phillips Xtreme H13 are the headlight bulb up grades. The Narva +30 9005 are the foglight bulbs. I used the fogzilla setup and upgraded from 9006 to 9005 bulbs. The foglight update was definitely a difference, although alot of that is attributed to updating to 9005 series bulbs. The Phillips H13 was a nice surprise; they are better on low beam, and significantly better on high beam w/ a stronger beam projected further out than the originals. Which is better? If you dont use your fogs much, do the headlight update. Me? I'm happy I did both of 'em. We have white stuff up here and I use my fogs.

Thanks for the info. The Fogzilla upgrade was one of the first mods that I did to my truck. We get a bunch of the white stuff here, too. The 9005's work awesome...apparently maybe too much so. I often have truckers...just 18-wheelers...flash their lights at me when I have the fogs on, which is 99% of the time. In fact, with low-beams and the fogs on, I have better lighting than with the high-beams...so I run that way. If cars had an issue, I'd think of re-aiming the fogs a bit lower. I'll give the H13's a try.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went ahead and put a tdk bumper on with slots for 8 lights. 4 of them are 6" and 4 of them are 4". They all have 150w bulbs in them with blue/white output 6000k range. Hooked two of the 4" up to the factory foglight switch and they work pretty dang good. IF I need anymore light, I just flip another switch......then another, then another.....

Quick Reply: brighter headlight bulbs ??