3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Brake System Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake System Upgrades?

I'm not new to trucks but I'm new to truck mods.

On the sports car forums there is a lot of chatter about upgrading brake systems....i.e. rotors, calipers, pads, complete systems from companies such as Brembo etc.

Is this a common practice with heavy duty trucks?

If so what are some of common products people are using to replace the OEM brakes?

TIA
Old 05-05-2006, 04:22 PM

i dont know really, the 4 wheel disc brakes on the 3rd Gens are pretty hefty.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSheep5
i dont know really, the 4 wheel disc brakes on the 3rd Gens are pretty hefty.
I don't plan on modding the engine at all so I a more focused on brake performance etc.

Plus I do some competitive driving so I value strong brakes as much or more than horsepower!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest / best brake upgrade you can buy for the '06 is the Jake exhaust brake.

I leave mine on all the time. Outside, it sounds like a big air leak; in the cab, it sounds like a real Jake brake! In the end...it's all about MY entertainment while driving!

And, yes, even empty it slows the truck down VERY effectively. It's not like standing on the brake, but if you time it right, you hardly have to touch the brakes in the city. I do tap the brakes when slowing, just to let others know I'm slowing.

If you are looking for better pads & rotors, look into Phils for Centric rotors and Axxis pads. I had an '03 dakota that had marginal 4 wheel disc brakes: Ceramic, squeal like a stuck pig and the pedal felt like the more you pressed it, you got no more brake out of it. Dealer gave up & wouldn't do anything as the factory said this was normal. Anyway, at 50k miles, I changed them to slotted & cross drilled rotors (similar to what I had on my F150) and the Axxis pads. What a difference! Now, the more you step on the pedal & it feels like it stops more aggressively. They also work extremely well (read did not interfere) with the 4 wheel ABS.

As I mentioned, I had a similar pad/rotor setup on my '97 F150. The factory rotors would warp after 2-3 towing trips. Changed to power stop (out of business now), never had a problem with warped rotors & stopping while towing pretty aggessively. They also seemed to take about 10' off a panic stop distance, loaded or empty. Saved my rear SEVERAL times.

I'll be going to these pads & rotors when it's time to change the factory brakes.

HTH

Tony