3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is my prodigy, great place out of the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:41 PM

If you tow a lot BrakeSmart is defiantely the way to go thats what I went with had a Prodigy didnt like it went Brakesmart and never looked back and here is where I mounted mine...

Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 PM

What the big differences between the brakesmart and the prodigy?

Kevin
Old 03-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
What the big differences between the brakesmart and the prodigy?

Kevin
Well the Prodigy uses a like a motion sensor (someone knows about it better...lol) so basically it senses how fast the vehicle is stopping then starts to apply pressure from that I found it annoying in stop and go traffic where they would grab really hard and jerk me, also antoehr thing i didnt like was in stop and go to prevent the jerking I would turn the gain down well when I did that I also lost the ability to ever have full brakes unless turned back up so if you grab the red oh crap button it wouldnt apply full brakes since the gain was turned down...

Now the BrakeSmart uses the pressure right from your brakes (you put a "t" into your master cylinder then a sensor) so how much pressure you apply to the pedal is how much pressure it will give to the trailer brakes so its a nice gradual braking like the trailer is part of the same braking system (which in a sense it is) And also if you turn the gain down you still have access to FULL trailer brakes power through the emergency button (or whatever you would call it) so in stop and go no jerking or anything..

There is Also the Jordan which I believe the new one is due out this month? Its along the same lines as the Brakesmart but cheaper (price that is) but that one attaches a cable to the brake pedal so thats the way it senses how much pressure to apply.

I did a lot of reading on the brake controllers and since a lot of people basically said BrakeSmart 1st, Jordan 2nd, and Prodigy 3rd now I had the Prodigy and didnt want to use it again and they were redoing the Jordan (making it better I guess) my only REAL choice was the BrakeSmart and im glad I did!

Oh and if you are interested in the BrakeSmart call up Lucas at DR Performance VERY helpful guy and put up with a lot of questions and other things from me!!...lol 1-877-338-7373
Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 AM

Red face

I use the prodigy I mounted it under the dash on thr right side looks great and works better I sugest you get the oem plug and play harness two screws and 5 munutes and your done
I most a pic tomorow
good luck
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 AM

The Brakesmart is the best, but it's expensive. If you do lots of towing it's your best bet. Whats the Brakesmart going for these days?

When I was shopping brake controllers the Brakesmart was too expensive for the amount of towing I would be doing, and at the time the Jordan didn't work with adjustable pedals so I ended up with the Prodigy. It works well, is easy to install, and can be found for a good price. Now that I have a 1-ton diesel and have the capability of pulling some major loads, if I were to buy one today I'd hold out for a Brakesmart.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:38 AM

I used a Jordan, instead of all the electronic stuff it has a cable that connects to the brake pedal, the harder you break, the more travel, the harder the trailer brakes come on with all the electronic crapola.
Mounted as show, I can see it through the spoke in the steering wheel, more pics in my gallery:

Old 03-25-2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
The Brakesmart is the best, but it's expensive. If you do lots of towing it's your best bet. Whats the Brakesmart going for these days?
BrakeSmart is $435 Which more then 4 times what you can find the Prodigy for and over double the price of the Jordan...

Anyone know if the new Jordans are out yet?

Also another thing that is pretty cool about the brakesmart is once they come up with all of the stuff you will be able to read your boost and EGT's right through the brakesmart controller. They are also are going to be connected to their power modules as well.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I used a Jordan, instead of all the electronic stuff it has a cable that connects to the brake pedal, the harder you break, the more travel, the harder the trailer brakes come on with all the electronic crapola.
Mounted as show, I can see it through the spoke in the steering wheel, more pics in my gallery:

I have the Jordan as well. The price is about the same as a Prodigy. IMO it is a better BC.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:43 AM

My Jordan was only 139 US last year, simpler is better (unlike our computer comtrolled trucks!)
Old 03-25-2007, 11:57 AM

The Ultimate Brake Controller
for the Ultimate Towing Experience!!!!• More than a brake controller, it’s a trailer system controller.
• Automatic gain adjustment for high and slow speed stopping.
• Full stopping power always available, even in reverse.
• Easy to install—no tapping into your vehicle’s brake line.
• Compatible with any electric or hydraulic brake system.
• Automatically detects electric or hydraulic brakes.
• Superior to any electric or hydraulic brake controller we’ve tested!
http://www.hensleymfg.com/trucontrol/index.html
Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ripp1202
The Ultimate Brake Controller
for the Ultimate Towing Experience!!!!• More than a brake controller, it’s a trailer system controller.
• Automatic gain adjustment for high and slow speed stopping.
• Full stopping power always available, even in reverse.
• Easy to install—no tapping into your vehicle’s brake line.
• Compatible with any electric or hydraulic brake system.
• Automatically detects electric or hydraulic brakes.
• Superior to any electric or hydraulic brake controller we’ve tested!
http://www.hensleymfg.com/trucontrol/index.html
Never even heard of it? I requested a free video though cause well im always willing to try out new things...
Old 03-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Yeah me too, it is kinda sounding like a decision between the brakesmart and this one. Hopefully someone will chime in that has used both and can lead us a little bit

Kevin
Old 03-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
Yeah me too, it is kinda sounding like a decision between the brakesmart and this one. Hopefully someone will chime in that has used both and can lead us a little bit

Kevin

Well im not going to regret my brakesmart purchase as I am happy with it but well you never know what else is out there.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:16 PM

I am in the market for a new truck right now, and when I get it I am going to make sure that I get the best unit out there, as it is going to be a towing only rig, leaving my 03 to be a toy

Kevin