3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

brake bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake bleed?

OK finished my brake job and my pedal now goes right to the floor. My truck stops but not till my pedal in nearly on the floor. When compressing the pads with a C-clamp I did remember to loosened the bleeder screw (it was quite messy).

Anyway, do I need to bleed or something to get my pressure back? how would I go about doing this...or are there any other suggestions?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:17 PM

You will need a clean glass jar, a bleed hose, brake fluid(type recommened in your owners manual).
1-make sure reservoir is full
2-attach one end of bleed hose to bleed screw and insert opposite end in glass jar partially filled with brake fluid
3-open bleed screw and have helper press on brake pedal.once the pedal is down close the bleed screw.Repeat until fluid is clear and free of bubbles. Do next wheel. ***Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir, you do not want it to get low and pump the whole system full of air ***
4-make sure reservoir is at the correct level.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:20 PM

thanks, will do tonight.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tundra Maggot
OK finished my brake job and my pedal now goes right to the floor. My truck stops but not till my pedal in nearly on the floor. When compressing the pads with a C-clamp I did remember to loosened the bleeder screw (it was quite messy).

Anyway, do I need to bleed or something to get my pressure back? how would I go about doing this...or are there any other suggestions?

I have never opened a bleeder screw when changing pads, your asking for trouble,just compress the pistons back into the caliper, there is enough room in the master cylinder reservoir to hold it, the worst that might happen is some fluid might leak out of the cap.But seeing as how you are beyond that point you will have to replace the fluid you squeezed out by topping up the master cylinder, if that doesn't bring your pedal back up you have air in the lines and will have to bleed them, start at the farthest wheel from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest. If you did not touch the brake pedal when you had the bleeders open topping up should do it. Good luck.

rob
Old 10-07-2005, 01:29 PM

I'll try that first, thanks!