3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bought an '07 instead of an '06!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought an '07 instead of an '06!

Well, I finally took the plunge! I was planning to buy an '06 for a while now but instead switched it up at the last minute and purchased a white 2007 2500 QC 4x2 today. I was on my way to the bank to arrange financing for a 2006 2500 that I was going to buy tomorrow in the up-state and decided to stop by a local dealer. The only reason I went there was to see what they thought about an increase in 07 rebates in December to decide if I wanted to wait. I told them my plans about the 2006 and said I would like an 07 but the rebates weren't enough. Right when I said that, they told me that if I bought one from them either today or tomorrow, they would sell it to me for 1K under invoice in addition to the rebates. Oh...and they gave me more for my trade-in than I could have sold it for privately! I thought that was a decent deal especially since there was no haggling so I picked the truck out and bought it.

I couldn't be happier with my decision although I have to say one thing...what was Dodge thinking when they changed the tail lights from the 06 to the 07. Not that it's a big deal or anything, but I definitely like the look of the 06 vs. the 07.

Also, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, but my radio goes haywire after having it on for about 10 minutes. The stations start changing and it's unresponsive to anything I do (including turning it off) other than changing the volume. No big deal though, I'll take it in tomorrow to see what can be done. For the time being I have no problem listening to the incredible sound of the engine and turbo whistle!!

The main reason for posting is to thank everyone for all the information that's on this forum. I've been lurking around for a long time just taking everything in, and anytime I've posted a question, people were quick to respond and helpful. Thanks again!!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:57 PM

Glad to hear you got a truck.. I'd be interested in seeing those tail lights.. They didn't make them look God awful ugly like the new durango's did they?
Scott
Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseljunkie
Glad to hear you got a truck.. I'd be interested in seeing those tail lights.. They didn't make them look God awful ugly like the new durango's did they?
Scott
----Yep--------------The Ugliest of the Bunch----because they are on a Real Truck------just looks ------no more like !!!! Get It??
Old 11-30-2006, 03:00 PM

So I guess there is no need asking if anyone will swap tail lights with me??
Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Side view, I'll try to find a rear view.

Saw one at the dealer yesterday from the back view when I was getting my oil change, thought what the heck is a Chevy doing in a Dodge service garage?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 PM

That was my thought too, looks like a Chevy. Maybe they are trying to draw some new guys to the Dodge trucks from the GM crowd? Maybe they were looking over the aftermarket tails and thought they looked good? Who knows, but yes, looks like a Chevy from behind.

Guess they will be the BEST EXCUSE to go to aftermarkets or check out e-bay for some take off's from an 06.

CD
Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 PM

I like those tail lights. I would trade. Where do you live?

Trending Topics

Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 PM

When I looked at the 07's, I hated the taillights. IMO they'd take a little knock on the edge and break.

Bought an 06 in the end anyway. I also think the big loud badges on the 07's are ugly.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:21 PM

Anybody know if the 07 headlights are a direct replacement.They look much better without the running light on the bottom.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:45 PM

I never realized that the headlights changed...but I have to agree, that is one thing I like better about the 07's (the bigger badge is another thing I could live without). I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison of the 06 and 07 headlights, but I compared my 07 lights to the best close-up picture of an 06 and it looks like it would work. It seems like the 07 lights take up a little more room within the headlight housing and there is a narrow strip of chrome/plastic at the bottom where it looks like the running lights would be on the 06. I'm sure the specs are available somewhere online, but I can measure if you would like.

kelley- I would like to live with the lights for a little while, but if I decide see if anyone wants to swap I will definitely let you know.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 PM

what year are they going to start checking smog on the deisels? i heard it was with the '07 models.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 PM

This is partially true...the 07's built after Jan. 1st 2007 are required to meet the new EPA regulations and Dodge will move over to the new 6.7L Cummins. A quick search on this forum will give you more than you probably want to know about this. So mine still has the 5.9L engine that the previous years had. As discussed above, there are only a couple differences between the 06's and the early 07's. For a variety of reasons, I wanted to get a 5.9L instead of a 6.7L with all the emission reduction equipment.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:48 AM

Tailights

Headlights

I like the badges. Like everything else, you will grow to like them.....
Old 12-03-2006, 05:17 PM

07 Badges

Old 12-03-2006, 05:41 PM

That white dually looks zactally like my truck, except its the wrong color. Bought mine about a month ago and got one with the Inferno Red color. Pretty pleased so far with it in the past month. No issues yet. Highway mileage going to Rocksprings and back from Houston area was about 17.7 or so on overhead. I haven't done a hand calc yet. Driving around town has been anywhere from 15.5 to 16.5 depending on how uch ^%#%$@^%$!!! stop and go traffic I get stuck in.

The radio with the upgraded 6-speaker system romps, although the bass is a little too much. Some more upper frequency would round it out a lot better.

Got this truck at a dealership on the Southeast side of Houston. Final price with aftermarket leather and adding the load floor was still about $2000 below invoice listed on Edmunds, that was enough to make me happy along with trade-in for my 01 Ford PSD right at Kelly BlueBook. I bought the extended warranty from Chrysler, so I will have to wait 5 years before I do any power improvement stuff. In the meanwhile, I'm hoping to install some step bars, front and rear bumper replacements, a toolbox, and Line-X in the bed. A Fifthwheel connection will go in after that. Plans for later next year include one of those 31.5' front end levelling kits. I am not looking forward to the wallet crunch from that! Futz!

Quick Reply: Bought an '07 instead of an '06!