3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Borgeson BS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borgeson BS!!!!

My dodge has given me a fit with this steering crap, pretty much fed up with it, So I ordered and installed a thoren trac-bar and the new upgraded steering from dodge,which is a better design but still lacking, took the truck to get it aligned and it still drove like crap wandering all over the road, the alignment shop caught the problem, the roll pin in the steering shaft had wallowed out hole in and was giving me almost a 1/4 turn of slop, so I figured I'd slide by the dodge dealer and replace it, they wanted over 800 bux for the steering shaft and i told em they where outta there mind a steering box doesn't cost that much, Soooo much thanks to ya'll here on this page I got turned on to borgeson, and was stoked I could get the part for 270 bux sounds great right, not so much, I tried to install the shaft and it was about 6 inches to long, so I called em and the tech rep acted stupid like it was something with wrong with my truck and suggested I just cut the shaft, while I had no problem cutting the shaft the problem lies with the fact that I paid 270 bux for some piece of Edit that doesn't fit and now I get to hack it up, all in all not a big deal but for 270 bucks you'd think that you could get something that was a direct replacement and not require you to measure twice and cut once or you just blew 270 bucks if you manage to Edit it up, so now that everything is installed I get to take it all back apart and paint it, I'd like to powder coat it but the grease on the slip joint is not gonna like that..... yeah I'm a lil ticked off but I just drove the truck and it's not all that bad...... but my old 89 chevy 3500 with over 200,000 steers better.. sorry for the rant but I just figured I'd share.......
Tight Lines
Monty
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree my old chevy steered better to but couldnt pull the same way that the dodge does! My 05 i've replaced everything balljoints,tracbar,updated steering and it still drove like ****! The alignment shop had my caster set to 4.0 both sides and had them max it out ,apx. 4.7 and drives like a totally diff.truck! So look at what they have it set at and have them set it at around 4.6 and it will be like driving a new truck,also make sure the trac bar has front centered cause i set it to what don reccomends and it was off and truck was crabwalkin down the road ,which im sure had something to do with it!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
umm.. If I'm not mistaken , many of the bogeson shafts need to be cut to length before installed.. But I do feel your pain when you spend big bucks on something and have to modify it to fit..
Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No, the Borgeson shaft was supposed to bolt in. I had the same problem on my '03. Found a lot of slop in the steering shaft and dealer wanted stupid $$$ for a new one so I ordered a Borgeon shaft.

It came in and I drove 1.5hr to the local distributor in a snow storm to get it. Got it home only to find it didn't fit. Box said it fit 1995 thru to 2006. I know from working on my '01 that the shaft is way different than on an '03. Check the Borgeson site and they say as well that it should fit.

A few calls to my distributor and a nasty e-mail to Borgeson direct reveals that they had a misprint in their catalouge. My distributor didn't have th proper one in stock so they had to order it. Being that is was just before Xmas it ended up taking almost a month to come in.

When it did I picked it up and brought it home. I REALLY wasn't thrilled with the set screw/locknut setup they had for retaining the ends to the shafts. Also directions stated I needed to file a flat spot on the splines coming out from my steering shaft. I did a test fit to see where I needed to gring the flat spot and thats when I found it was too long as well. Needles to say I was ******.

Since I had the old shaft out I had a look at it and found that the roll pin holding the upper shaft and lower together was wallowed out. I then simply drilled both shafts to accept a bolt(1/2" or 9/16"???) and installed a GR8 bolt with a high quality locknut. I then trimmed the excess bolt length to prevent it from snagging things. Viola! No more slop.

I then returned the Borgeson shaft and got my $300 back.