3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Blowing out power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowing out power steering fluid

This will be my first post on this forum. I have been on several other forums but have a problem and think that the more people that see it, the better the chance that someone will have an idea of how to fix it. Here is my problem, it is also posted on TDR.

I've been having a problem for a while with my truck blowing off the power steering cap and losing fluid. It got to the point where I had to go "out of service", which means basically that I can't work until I get it fixed. I cked all the lines and found them to be clear, no obstructions, and the cooler seems to be clear. I disconnected my Milemarker winch so the fluid was just by-passing in case that might be the cause, it didn't matter. The only thing I noticed while cking this was that the cooling fan clutch wasn't working, I also have the 0483 code, I can stop it from turning with my hand when the engine is at operating temp. The only time the cap gets blown off is during a long haul, I wouldn't think this time of year the power steering fluid would get hot enough to cause a problem, but it is the only thing I can come up with. I pull a trailer with fairly heavy loads in my work. Anyone have any other ideas?

Like I said, this is my first post here, but I'm not new to Dodge trucks. I have nearly 700,000 miles of hotshot experience all driving Dodge 1-tons, most of it pulling trailers. This looks like a good forum and isn't as argumentative as some of the others, I look forward to sharing some of the experiences I've had using the Dodge trucks when I can find time to do it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what my problem might be.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

Dont know what the code is but I would suspect its just air pockets, I would take the lid off he ps pump while truck running and turn wheel to one side up against the locks then bump it back and forth against the locks then turn wheel to other side and repeat, do this several times, I have seen this b4 and the air will get out with this proceedure.

Cheers, Kevin
Old 01-29-2005, 03:13 PM

The code, P-0483, is "cooling fan speed" that tells me that the fan is turning too slow, which I know, I can put the engine up to 1500 or 2000 rpm and the fan speed really doesn't change. Either the clutch or the wiring to the clutch is bad, it certainly is not working. I have turned it back and forth in the past, to the point that the front wheels were several inches into the ground without any help, blew the cap off before I went 200 miles. I'm going to replace the fan clutch Monday, hopefully that will solve the problem. If anyone else has any ideas, I'll sure take them.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:54 PM

Do you have the ATF+4 in it for fluid? If it is something not spec that has lighter ends in the fluid it would build up vapor pressure higher than normal.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:56 PM

I'm running Amsoil universal ATF in it now. It was doing it with the Mopar ATF+4 so that isn't the problem.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EB, I saw your other posts on the TDR. It just dawned on me. My Dads Ford F350 SD did the samething! It was the hydroboost that was causing this issue. The Ford dealer replaced the hydroboost under warranty and it fixed the issue.

MikeyB
Old 01-30-2005, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the information, I have been working on it all morning. I've pulled the lines and cleaned the valve coming out of the pump. I have come to the same conclusion that it is something past the pump. It has to be the hydroboost or the rack and pinion. I would think that Dodge would have some pressures to go by coming out of the pump. If so, you should be able to follow the pressure around the system until you find the blockage. I am supposted to go in tomorrow morning to get it cked. I will ask about the pressures and might just get a hydroboost put on it. It won't be under warranty though, I have nearly 192,000 miles on it. I have to get it fixed, it's how I make my living.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:26 PM

Wow!

Keep us posted.

As I am sure you are aware no power steering = no power brakes.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:37 PM

Oh yeah, quite aware. I've had to use my trailer brakes and a lot of space ahead of me several times to get home. That's when you are glad to have well adjusted trailer brakes and a Brakesmart controller. I've had that controller for 180,000+ miles and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:31 PM

I took my truck in this morning, explained the problem and after about 5 hrs back and forth with technical service in Detroit, no one here had ever heard of anything like this, it turns out there have been four trucks nation wide with this exact problem. Technical service said to change the rack and pinion, it fixed the other four. We got one on order, hopefully it will be here tomorrow and we will find out if that corrects the problem. The rack and pinion is $587, I sure hope it corrects it. The fan clutch will have to wait a while, don't have any problems with over heating or the A/C this time of year.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:25 PM

I guess the experts were right, I just finished a 750 mile round trip run with no problems. I knew there had to be an obstruction someplace in the system. I guess it would take a while to build up enough back pressure from the rack and pinion before it would blow back and knock the power steering reservoir cap off. Unless it messes up again, I'm going to consider the problem taken care of. I sure hope so, $912.57 total cost. They also had to do a front end alignment when they changed the rack and pinion. I was also informed that my top ball joints were about gone. I sure hope this truck isn't going to start falling apart on me. Things that I know that are going to need to be repaired pretty soon are; upper ball joints , fan clutch (for the second time) and ring and pinion gear. It is starting to get kind of expensive for a 2 yr old truck. Needless to say, I'm out of warranty.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear that EB. Not bad for a hard working truck with almost 200k on the clock. The rear end is a concern though. Are you running synthetic 75w-140 in the rear?

MikeyB
Old 02-03-2005, 06:18 PM

Well, I guess I spoke to soon. Had a short (250 mile) run today and when I got back the cap had been blown off again. Went stright to the local Dodge dealer and after a bit of conversation have a hydro-boost ordered and will go into the shop tomorrow morning and replace it. It is the only thing left in the whole steering sector left to replace. I've replaced the pump, the rack and pinion and tomorrow will replace the hydro-boost. I really don't where to go if it blows the reservior out after that. I'm by-passing my Milemarker winch so I know it isn't that. Milemarker says it just by-passes anyway unless it is being used.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am interested in this. My power steering pump seems to build up an extreme pressure. I checked the cap once and had it shoot my hand and the cap up one foot frrom the built up pressure. went to the dealer and they said that was normal. so ya i am thiknig this is a bigger problem then they are letting on. Keep us up to date and hopefully you get your situation fixed.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:34 PM

I know exactly what you are saying. I was making a long haul about 6 months ago and was afraid of the cap blowing off so I tied it on with plastic zip ties. The cap stayed on but I blew the reservoir completely off the pump. They can build up a lot of pressure. It doesn't make any sense why this is happening. I do know it is costing me a lot of money, not counting the cost of repairs. When I'm not working, I'm not making any money.

Quick Reply: Blowing out power steering fluid