3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Blend Doors Strike Again on 2006?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blend Doors Strike Again on 2006?

Howdy!

My 2006 with separate driver's and passenger temperature controls seems to be suffering from the inevitable blend door problem. My truck was made in May of 2006...Does anyone know when they started making them right from the factory?

This week I've noticed that I've got heat on the passenger side, but not on the driver's side. If I work the temperature selector several times, eventually I'll start getting heat on my side. Does this indicate that I've got the classic blend door failure or do I have something else going on?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Tad
Old 12-12-2010, 06:21 AM

I can't really help you with your issue but for anyone else that has not had it, mine is still working fine and I change the mode only when I absolutely have to. In the summer I always have it on A/C and in the winter I always leave it on the defrost/floor position. That's what I have done in all the 3rd gems I've owned and never had the issue arise....
Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My 06 has the earlier style parts, I believe.

It does sound like a blend door issue. The work really isn't that bad, just time consuming.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine all from just poping out the glove box.. Had to swear At it a few times. But i got the new one in and what a difference. I went with a broken one for a yr.. And to think it took less than 1hr to fix.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DNRCustoms
I did mine all from just poping out the glove box.. Had to swear At it a few times. But i got the new one in and what a difference. I went with a broken one for a yr.. And to think it took less than 1hr to fix.
Is yours a Laramie with the separate driver passenger blend doors?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:44 PM

My mechanic (my neighbor) confirmed that the doors are broken. My truck was made in May of 2006, so I guess they were still using the bad design then.

As long as I have the dash apart, is there a list of parts I should replace?

Is there anything else I need to do after we are done with this? I thought I read something about calibration...?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:57 PM

I think the thing is supposed to calibrate on its own by running the doors to the stops.

I think the stop-tab on the housing was also redesigned, and sometimes the tab on the housing can snap off and cause all the torque to be placed on the door.

Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in, or you could see if the parts guy could tell if there was an updated number for the upper, lower, and middle housing.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm suffering from the same thing... My truck is an 06 with 40K on it.. The blend doors were replaced about 2 years ago with 30K on it. This is absolute junk... I have been doing some reading lately and apparently the 4th gen trucks still have this problem..
Does the "heater treater" stuff fix this design problem???
http://heatertreater.net/
Anybody ever use this stuff?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 AM

There have been several positive threads about the heater treater.

Personally I'm not a fan of the idea of cutting windows in the HVAC housing, but I'd consider taking the hvac housing apart the usual way and putting in the metal doors.

The drawback for me is that it doesn't have dual controls.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM

I went ahead and ordered the Heater Treater doors. No phone number on their website, so I wasn't able to call first and find out when they might ship. I paid for express shipping, so I hope they ship today. My truck is in pieces in the neighbor's driveway.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by TXTad
I went ahead and ordered the Heater Treater doors. No phone number on their website, so I wasn't able to call first and find out when they might ship. I paid for express shipping, so I hope they ship today. My truck is in pieces in the neighbor's driveway.
Please post your results from the install.. It CANT be any worse than the factory crap... I really dont want to take my truck apart until I have a viable way to fix this one time and be done with it...

Funny thing is my F.I.L. gave me an old 1976 F-150 that has been a farm truck and been beat on for years.... guess what.. all the a/c and heat controls STILL FRIGGIN WORK!!!!.. I can ride around in that thing with a/c and heat blowing exactly where I tell it to....