3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bilstiens That Gud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put in a call to Bilstein's tech line today. I was shopping for shocks to replace the factory garbage on my dad's F-250. The application guide was showing that the 5100's were not available for the front of a stock F-250, but the guy at the local 4wheelparts said a certain model (designated by Bilstein for a 2" lift) would fit stock. The guy at Bilstein told me to use their HD (yellow) shocks in this application because of the length.

He told me that the 5100 and the HD shocks are the same, (same size shafts, pistons, oil capacity, etc) but the valving on the 5100 is more generic off the shelf valving while the HD valving was more taylored to the particular vehicle application. He relayed the story of his buddy's F-250 where they started out with the 5100 shocks, but when his buddy complained about the ride being too hard they swapped in the valving from the HD and it made the ride softer/better. The story could be BS, but he made it sound convincing. He also said that the warranty is better on the HD shocks, they look harder at the broken 5100 shocks because they are usually used on offroad trucks than the yellow HD shocks.

I'll see how my dad's truck rides and base my decision on that.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 PM

Location: NORTHWEST VERMONT WHERE THE MEN ARE MEN AND THE SHEEP RUN SCARED.
Originally Posted by RSOPNCO1
Got to know if they are that good. Back cant take no more of the jolting and jarring with his truck. Test drove a ford and was in complete comfort. "Floating" ride and the seat was a small piece of heaven. Need to know if the bilstiens are that gud. I hate to say it but i am on the fence on getting a Ford. I can stand to loose a decent amount of comfortableness and pain. Are they really "THE CADDY" ride?

You're gonna by a FURD over the crappy shocks that come on our trucks?
Just get the Bilsteins.
STOP THE MADNESS!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 PM

Drive a Chevy.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:48 PM

I have a 2004.0 2WD. Changed to the yellow Bilsteins. Truck needs a rear anti-sway bar.

Having been beaten up (disabled) and beset by other health problems, I make it a point to drive carefully. When I replaced tires I went with the stock MICHELIN A/S tires, and run them at 50 psi all around per factory recommendation. The truck handles better than if I have them up higher, and the tread wear has been nil the past 15,000 miles (5,000 towing).

I have power seats, and learned long ago that a bumpy ride is made worse by a reclining seat position. I adjust mine so that I have my shoulder blades against the seat back at all times, and the seat is up as high as I can take it, with some tilt so that my thigh can't cramp holding the clutch in at a long light.

I added a seat cushion that takes the cracks out of the road, and am looking to upgrade to a ROHO or OREGON AERO custom cushion.

Some roads, I can't do anything about, but the truck is now good for 300+ mile drives.

There are rear suspension upgrades I'm looking at, such as this one from MOR-RYDE:

http://www.morryde.com/php/products/...cles/index.php
Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rednax

I have power seats, and learned long ago that a bumpy ride is made worse by a reclining seat position. I adjust mine so that I have my shoulder blades against the seat back at all times, and the seat is up as high as I can take it, with some tilt so that my thigh can't cramp holding the clutch in at a long light.
just wondering why you are holding the clutch pedal in, instead of shifting to neutral and holding the brake. Not criticizing you, just wondering of your reasons.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 AM

I wouldn't hold the clutch at the long light, it is hard on the throwout bearing. On my manual trans vehicles I stick it in neutral and use the brake.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 PM

You just need an air ride seat. Problem solved.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by cameroneod
You just need an air ride seat. Problem solved.
Yep - sent him a P/M after reading a page or two.

O/R truckers have been using air ride seats for years!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Yes they are. Totally different ride.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 PM

If you really want a comfortable ride the best thing to do is to find yourself a suspension seat and if possible an air ride kit for it (like the tractor trailers have). I couldn't tell you where to find either but I'm 90% sure that they are either made or there is something that will work with minimal modifications. This way it is easier on your back and you don't sacrifice the stability of your truck. Because the downside to soft shocks is the fact that they let the truck roll more whenever you go around a corner.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:36 PM

My 5100 gave me the same sway like smokintwins.The front shocks top nuts were loose.

06 2500 quad cab 4x4 g56 Quad max milage
Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Desert Dually
just wondering why you are holding the clutch pedal in, instead of shifting to neutral and holding the brake. Not criticizing you, just wondering of your reasons.
I adjust the seat to do so if necessary, not of habit. There are situations, towing, where crossing a divided four lane I need the clutch in for periods extended. Not to mention the law: a vehicle on public roadways must be in gear at all times (thus, habit, which I've had to change because of this transmission).

The point I was trying to make was that, to make the truck more comfortable (stock, before modifying), that proper seat adjustment goes a long way to alleviating body pains. And, with a seat cushion as designed for wheelchair drivers installed, MUCH of the "shock" is reduced to the driver.

Of a better seating position, and one of these cushions I like to say, "It takes the cracks out of the roadway".