3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bilstiens That Gud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bilstiens That Gud?

Got to know if they are that good. Back cant take no more of the jolting and jarring with his truck. Test drove a ford and was in complete comfort. "Floating" ride and the seat was a small piece of heaven. Need to know if the bilstiens are that gud. I hate to say it but i am on the fence on getting a Ford. I can stand to loose a decent amount of comfortableness and pain. Are they really "THE CADDY" ride?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:31 AM

I completely love mine made a world of differance, but then again I did everything at once being that I put the coils and race packs on. The suspension is fluid now as opposed to harsh.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:38 AM

They may be good but no shock will change ride characteristic very much.Without drastic changes and money spent on trail and error the design of the truck will remain the same.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:30 AM

Shocks are not going to help. It'll keep your axle from bouncing as much, but at the end of the day its our stiff spring packs and coils that are cuasing the jarring ride. You have to remember these trucks were built to hual, not give you a caddy like ride...thats what cadillac is for. But have you noticed how the F-250-350-450 sag with just a little wieght in the rear?..theres your comfort for utility sacrafice right there.

I think the Chevy HD is the best riding truck out there, and the quitest. If i was to buy a new truck, or one came across me for a "steal" i would buy one. They are quit and comfy and thanks to the new interior pretty good lookin'.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed to Blistiens at around 36k miles. Before that the truck would seem to jump an inch or two left/right (or both ) on each pothole. I was afraid 36k miles would be too soon and wouldn't notice any difference. After the Blistiens were installed I noticed less "bouncing" around and less shock thru the steering. I really should have changed them out before 30k. Keep in mind it's a 3/4 ton truck, I actually like the ride. Blistiens were worth it in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:44 AM

You could always put on full replacment leaf packs from like Lorenz!! That will make the ride better and you don't have to drive a ford then
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 AM

I test drove a truck with the Bilstein 5100 shocks and some Toyo Open Country 285/75/18 E tires. It rode better than any other CTD I test drove. I will be swapping some Bilsteins onto mine. My only issue is that I really don't want to do a leveling kit or front springs (I don't want to mess with the track bar length, etc.), but they don't make the 5100's for a stock front suspension. I may just get the 5100 for the rear and the HD (Yellow/Blue) shocks for the front. If I end up doing that the long term plan will be a 2.5" coilover up front.

For those who have replied, are you using the HD shocks or the 5100?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just put my new bilsteins on this past week. I am pleased with them, it has a better ride, not as jolting on the bumps, truck feels a bit more stable. It is still a rough ride however, but you can't get everything you want out of one thing.

Oh and Bronco, I'm using the HDs, being i have a 2wd i have no choice.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:34 AM

5100's will give you a better ride, but if you want to have a Caddy-like ride, you'll probably have to visit a GM dealer, and shell out the $50,000 for the Cadilac 'option'.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bilsteins last a long time. Got over 50k mi on the ones on my Chevy and they are still doing their job (opposed to the OEM shocks which were toast when I bought it..25k mi).
They're not going to make the truck ride softer though. Short of any suspension mods, lower the air pressure in your tires. If you're empty, 50-55psi front and 40psi rear is sufficient.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM

You know I do want to replacle the shocks in my truck cause well stock shocks over 340K on them but the ride still isnt that bad. I think its funny how much I read about the harsh rides whether im loaded or not ALL my tires are at 80psi plus the cruddy OEM shocks and the ride is still BETTER than my CRX with a $1500 suspension. I guess I dont realize what kind of ride people want out of a 7K LBS truck that was built for towing.......
Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 PM

Bilsteins are the best, but don't get the 5100s if you want a good ride. I have them and can feel every crack in the road. Get the standard version.

Pete
Old 06-20-2008, 03:07 PM

Why not replace the rear springs with air bags? You get a Caddy like ride, and you can haul anything you like with a simple adjustment.

Downside? $$$$$$$!

garrett
Old 06-20-2008, 03:24 PM

I put the 5100's on at 5K miles, saw a goodly amount of difference. Best soft ride with about 1K tongue wt on the GN ball. It's a truck, a truck with hauling suspension, guaranteed to be a little stiff. Air bags also make a difference when running empty vrs loaded.

Our 4x4's are on one of the best solid axle suspension systems for a straight axle ever designed. Ford has IFS - soft ride yes, but has it's disadvantages when asked to perform outside of being a street ride.

If you want a soft ride that sags big time and bobs like the truck is bobbing for apples in a barrel when loaded or asked to tow - go to Ford. If you want a caddy ride - get a caddy. If you want a good, solid truck that works like a horse - keep what you have and change a few things and add a few things.

CD
Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 PM

really?

Originally Posted by garbri
Why not replace the rear springs with air bags? You get a Caddy like ride, and you can haul anything you like with a simple adjustment.

Downside? $$$$$$$!

garrett

tell me more about this, I thought airbags were for low-rider ricer trucks

I am a bit un-edumacated when it comes to this subject

Is there an exact part # for the Bilstein 5100 for trucks with a leveling kit?
Would the 5100's up front, plus the airbags in rear, soften the ride up very much on a 1 ton 4x4 dually? If so, I am officially interested.

Quick Reply: Bilstiens That Gud?