3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Big Tires & Negligence

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny but 99% of the chips I get are from small cars (Sunfires etc.) and most of the time it's on clean roads (hiway) while the other car is going the opposite direction...It's just life, I don't like it (like paying tax's) but windshields are cheap, I just plan on buying a new one once a year (every spring)...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by B-MAN
It's funny but 99% of the chips I get are from small cars (Sunfires etc.) and most of the time it's on clean roads (hiway) while the other car is going the opposite direction...It's just life, I don't like it (like paying tax's) but windshields are cheap, I just plan on buying a new one once a year (every spring)...
Try putting on 150,000 plus miles a year and replacing it 6 or more times each year, you wouldnt say they are cheap then When you are licensed commercial and go thru scales, if the scale boys think the crack bothers your vision, you are forced to change, and whenever you do the yearly inspection any crack in the wipers path, requires a change again,, so it can get expensive, especially with all the road repairs that go on,, i am not complaining, just stating my opinion is all
Old 08-03-2006, 01:22 AM

Well, I have mudflaps to protect my truck AND the cars behind me. I like the way they look also!!

Old 08-03-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by pet05
Well, I have mudflaps to protect my truck AND the cars behind me. I like the way they look also!!

NICE!! you make them yourself??
Old 08-03-2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawStorm
Try putting on 150,000 plus miles a year and replacing it 6 or more times each year, you wouldnt say they are cheap then When you are licensed commercial and go thru scales, if the scale boys think the crack bothers your vision, you are forced to change, and whenever you do the yearly inspection any crack in the wipers path, requires a change again,, so it can get expensive, especially with all the road repairs that go on,, i am not complaining, just stating my opinion is all
...I bill out $225 a day for my work truck, that roughly works out to about $5500 a month just for the truck, maybe you're charging less than that but if you're puttting on that many miles you should be charging allot more,... a winshield or even two a month for a work truck isn't that much $$$ IMHO...

I do run mud flaps on my truck, I think they look good, they also save the truck from allot of road rash if you travel on any grvel roads which is a big plus...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:10 AM

06 Dually -

They are Dura-Flap mud flaps but then I customized them by adding the factory Ram Decal.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:32 AM

My brother got a ticket in his truck a while back. Officer told him that all vehicles are required to have a minimum of half the rear tires covered by something, fender, mud flap etc...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Originally Posted by T398
My brother got a ticket in his truck a while back. Officer told him that all vehicles are required to have a minimum of half the rear tires covered by something, fender, mud flap etc...

I agree, you should (by law) cover your treads at least half way to the axle......however roll though nothern Idaho........you will see more 37" tires slinging mud, snow, sleet etc. than you can count ...even Johnny's personal ride home can bust that new windshield if you follow too close.

I think it commonplace up here
Old 08-04-2006, 08:24 AM

I was going to comment earlier, but decided not to. now that this has gone on for a while, I will.

In my experience, AT and road tires pick up more rocks and throw them up and out than MT tires do. This is one of the main reasons I have moved on to MT designs.

That said, I am always checking my tires to see if there are rocks in them.

I also agree that I always seem to get hit from vehicles going the other direction, not from folowing.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Muted User

What about meeting them on a 2-lane road? A person is not tailgating there, and they throw rocks that way to
In which case mud flaps do nothing to stop this! Unless your all proposing that your put them on the front and back of each tire!

If you people are that worried about paint chips and cracked windshields then STAY OFF THE ROAD! I bet if you leave your truck sit in your garage it won't even have to get wet, not to mention the lack of paint chips! It's called road hazards, they exist everywhere. As others have pointed out every tire with any kind of tread throws rocks, I would be more worried about the person with worn out tires having a blow-out or losing it on wet roads than good tires throwing rocks.

As far as the gravel trucks and semi's go, no they do not have to be tarped (unless they city or state has a "Tarp Law") unless there is either dust or gravel falling out, which is an unsecured load violation. They are in no way shape or form responsible for any object thrown from the roadway. So unless you have a video or some other way to prove the "rock" or whatever came from the accused truck, call your insurance company and cry to them. Almost all dump trucks around here have a 2-foot square sticker on the back stating that they are "not responsible for objects thrown from roadway. Stay back 200 feet"

I don't like rock chips either but I understand that there are hazards in everything you do and if something as simple as a cracked windshield gets your blood pressure up then there is no hope for you if something major happens.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Banned

Man I must be the most **** person when it comes to my truck!!! My dad lives on a long dirt road and whenever I take my truck down it.....I drive seriously like 2 mph down the entire road.

AND THEN when I get back out onto the main road, I jump out and pick all the rocks out of my tires so

1. It doesn't chip the crap outta my paint

and

2. I don't throw rocks at everybody following me........

~Nick
Old 08-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Man I must be the most **** person when it comes to my truck!!! My dad lives on a long dirt road and whenever I take my truck down it.....I drive seriously like 2 mph down the entire road.

AND THEN when I get back out onto the main road, I jump out and pick all the rocks out of my tires so

1. It doesn't chip the crap outta my paint

and

2. I don't throw rocks at everybody following me........

~Nick
Agreed. I work hard for my money and take extra care of my things, just the way I am, don't get me wrong I will take my truck down some nasty edit huntin, get too bad pop the 4 wheeler out and then hike after that, but I wax my truck at least 3 times a year. I lived in N ID for 15 years and have had my fair share of slush/rock tidal waves from oncoming rigs. just part of living in that country, doesn't mean I want my truck looking like a machine pellet gun hit it. I guess enuf said about this, just bored and rambling, screw work....goin to lake,,,,,,,,,,, out.

Last edited by wannadiesel; 08-05-2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: site rules violation
Old 08-04-2006, 04:07 PM

It's a law here in Utah as well, tire must be covered from the center line of the axle up.
I have huge tires with a M/T tread design and to tell ya the truth I HATE them flinging crap all over my truck let alone others.

I have my 38's listed for sale right now and this is one of the major reasons.

Anyone want a smokin deal on some 38" Toyo M/T"s?

dan
Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
If you people are that worried about paint chips and cracked windshields then STAY OFF THE ROAD! I bet if you leave your truck sit in your garage it won't even have to get wet, not to mention the lack of paint chips! It's called road hazards, they exist everywhere.
who making your truck payment?

at $40Large, i am pretty well concerned about the condition of my investment. this ain't no gasser that i am gonna trade in when they come out with a new color.

here's the REAL problem:
South Carolina has "free Glass" on thier insurance by state law. what this means is that SC is such a bunch of nasty disgusting folks that they don't bother to clean up the roads, paved medians or curbs. they just let it ALL lay out on the street till traffic pulverizes it. there was a crapper seat in the median for ~6 months.

so, it's state law, so your insurance company just "builds it in" to your policy.
glass co's charge THREE TIMES what it costs to your insurance company.

call them, they will tell you that...if you are paying cash, it's 1/3 cost

so who do YOU think is paying for the insurance company to pay 3 times what a windshield is worth?

WE are...we are buying windshields like crazy, whether it's for our own car, or someone else...one guy had it replaced on monday, cracked again by rock on Wed.

the Glass salesmen station themself at the drive thru car washes, getting folks windshields info to replace windshields, it's THAT BAD here.

in your defense - you live somewhere it's not that bad, and that's the basis of your arguement - but, it is tough elsewhere.

Tarps are a law in SC, even for small trucks, have big signs all over.

FWIW, the new RUBICONS have Goodyear MTR's - joke is that stands for "Many Thrown Rocks" - look at any Rubicon - and you will see stripes up side where paint is scraped off.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Muted User

who making your truck payment?

at $40Large, i am pretty well concerned about the condition of my investment.
First I make the payment. And second if you actually think that a dodge truck is an "investment" you need to get a different banker. I'll give you the definition

in·vest·ment (n-vstmnt)
n.
The act of investing.
An amount invested.
Property or another possession acquired for future financial return or benefit.

I seriously doubt that your going to sell this truck for more than what you paid, (however there is a sucker born every minute )so I don't think "investment" was the correct term. If you don't believe me call any accountant and tell them that your looking to invest some money and your thinking about putting into a truck, and when they get done laughing......

Third if you paid $40 you need to find another dealer, or your truck must be WAY nicer than anyone elses. The sticker price for my 05 2500 was $44 and I got it for $33, and I have 2 friends who got theirs for $32. Both 3500srw.

Every insurance company I've delt with have a $0 deductable for glass, your paying anyway. If you somehow think that making mudflaps manditory will in some magical way make the "free glass" go away your dreaming. My gf's had the window in her Civic broken twice, once by a piece of ice from the top of a semi trailer. I suppose they should have to be "de-iced" like an airplane every 20 miles so this doesn't happen so you guys don't have an aneurism.

On my way home tonight I passed a VW Beetle on a state hwy. A small rock just happend to hit my window, which I thought was funny since I was just on here reading about this. Funny thing was it was a paved road (no gravel in sight)and I'm not sure but I think it's safe to say it didn't have big offroad tires. My point again is CRAP happens. You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of "soccer moms". It's a truck, drive it. If your really that **** about the condition get it painted every 3 years. Don't get me wrong it's not that I tear mine up but it's a truck not a piece of fine china. Think of it like a pair of shoes, if you want them to look just like new 10 years from now, don't wear them!

this ain't no gasser that i am gonna trade in when they come out with a new color.
I have a question, how does the type of fuel that a vehicle burns determine when it gets traded. I guess gas trucks don't last for more than 100,000mi?

man it's tough being the voice of reason.

Quick Reply: Big Tires & Negligence