3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Big Tires & Negligence

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Big Tires & Negligence

Ok, this is a rant BUT a very valid one.

It should be a LAW that anyone who gets HUGE tires on trucks MUST have mud flaps OR the driver MUST check his or her tires for rocks if they just went OFF-ROADING.

Some people are either stupid, negligent or they just want to destroy other peoples vehicles intentionally. How can someone drive around with these types of trucks & tires KNOWINGLY throwing rocks onto vehicles behind them??

I am not talking about the occasional rock BUT the idiot who goes off-roading or drives over tons of rocks and then hits the highway at 65MPH. The whole time rocks are being thrown onto the vehicles behind him like missles causing broken windshields, broken headlights and damaging other vehicles paint.

I know mud-flaps are not hip or cool (I think if you buy the right ones they actually look very cool) but if you choose to put on huge tires that have aggressive tread patterns, you should have the decency to check the tires after off-roading or get some mud flaps.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:36 AM

guards

I dont know where u live but here if you have bigger tires or lift it you have to have mud flaps that hang to the factory level
Old 08-02-2006, 12:53 AM

I'm in Arizona and there are TONS of trucks out here. I would say about 90% of the lifted/big tire trucks do NOT have mud flaps.

I wish they would make it a law requiring them to have mud flaps with that setup.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 AM

I think the law in California states if the tire sticks out past the fender mudflaps are required. But very few actually abide by the law.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many states have laws requiring mudflaps....it's really a selective enforcement issue...That's where the PD units go after more significant law breakers.

However, if you are able to get a license number and the rock with tire trasfer from the vehicle that threw it, to prove where it came from, you may be able have an officer press charges

I know it's a problem...That's why in AZ, you are encouraged to have glass coverage with your insurance. We have the Jetta, for just 9 months now & have to replace the windshield because the wife managed to pick up a rock last week.

Oh, well!

Tony
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 AM

Funny, when they re gravel the road by my house and put up the 15MPH signs, people honk and get all ****** off at me going 15mph..............
Old 08-02-2006, 11:20 AM

It should be a LAW that anyone who gets HUGE tires on trucks MUST have mud flaps OR the driver MUST check his or her tires for rocks if they just went OFF-ROADING.

Some people are either stupid, negligent

It is a law in Idaho, but I don't think it is . I have them soley for that reason, plus don't want my boat getting rock chipped. Porbably more on the stupid side. need to thin the gene pool a bit and get people back to respecting others
Old 08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pet05
Ok, this is a rant BUT a very valid one.

Some people are either stupid, negligent or they just want to destroy other peoples vehicles intentionally. How can someone drive around with these types of trucks & tires KNOWINGLY throwing rocks onto vehicles behind them??

I am not talking about the occasional rock BUT the idiot who goes off-roading or drives over tons of rocks and then hits the highway at 65MPH. The whole time rocks are being thrown onto the vehicles behind him like missles causing broken windshields, broken headlights and damaging other vehicles paint.

I know mud-flaps are not hip or cool (I think if you buy the right ones they actually look very cool) but if you choose to put on huge tires that have aggressive tread patterns, you should have the decency to check the tires after off-roading or get some mud flaps.

If you didn't tailgate, it wouldn't be a problem now; would it?????
Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by SupaDupa

I don't but when the whiff drives it, heaven forbid dhe gets behind one. It really is unavoidable in ID with or without, especially during the winter
Old 08-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Here it is a law. Not only mud flaps but also fender flares if the wheel sticks out of the wheel well at all. Mud flap must cover at least half way down the tire and the outer tire outside of the well must be completely covered.

Travist
Old 08-02-2006, 07:56 PM

You should come to L.A. and watch the destruction the gravel trucks have done to the front of my Porsche, motorcycle and helmet.

BTW if mud flaps didn't look so ugly I would put them on.....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:03 PM

I believe it is law that ALL vehicles need mudflaps, It isn't only the big tires causing the problem. I caught a rock off of the tires of a VW Jetta and ended up with a new rock chip in the windshield. BTW I have bigger mud tires AND mudflaps, but it tosses fewer rocks than my wifes Civic. all tires unless they are slicks will throw rocks, On my 35" mud tire's voids are big enough to not pick up small rocks.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SupaDupa
What about meeting them on a 2 lane road? A person is not tailgating there, and they throw rocks that way to
Old 08-02-2006, 08:30 PM

Im guilty of this myself. I have a aggressive tread pattern, it is spaced out enough where small rocks will not get wedged in my tread, just decent sized rocks. If I know I have rocks in my tires and I go on a main road I drive below the speed limit in the slow lane. I will drive 10mph before I install mud flaps on my truck.

Although in the rain I feel realy bad for people who are ridinig my tail, my tires sling so much water that it's like a wall of water behind my truck, it can be hard to see in my rear when it's pouring real hard.

Since were on the topic of rock throwing, anyone still get pelted w/ rocks from semies that have mud flaps? I know I do, or the trucks that are carrying a load of gravel or what not without a cover. That should be just as illegal as anything else.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 PM

Where i live it is illegal for Semi's to not have mudflaps all around and also gravel trucks have to tarp there loads if they travel the the highways, i know it dont stop all the rocks, but it stops alot of them

Quick Reply: Big Tires & Negligence