3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Big Rig running light install

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Rig running light install

Got my Recon 'Big Rig' running lights the other day and installed them today. Here's a little write up. Like my post about the Recon Line of Fire, these are easy to install and not realy worthy of a write up...but I would have liked to have seen install pics of some before I bought mine. So this is for those of yall in the boat I just got out of.

Here's what they send ya. (leafs not included)

Top view

Head on view

The LED strips are held on with small metal brackets. One end of them 'craddle' the strip while the other has a whole. You use the included self taping screws to mount the bracket to the underside of the rocker. I used 5 brackets per side. One on each end, one in the middle, and evenly spaced the other 2.

They say to mount them all the way forward so you can route the wires behind the wheel well liner. I already had some holes in my pinch weld from some N-Fab nerfbar/steps I had and removed. So I centered my LED strip with the cab and enlarged one of the holes that just so happened to be at the end of the strip and ran the wires through it.

Here it is all mounted up and wires ran.

I dont have any pictures of the next steps because it's just routing the wires to the headlights, grounding one wire, and splicing the other 2 wires. I decided not to use them as blinkers and instead wired them so they were constantly on bright. I wanna say the wire for the pass side running light was White with Grey, and for the drivers side was White with Green on my 06.

I'm not too sure if I like them yet, they arent noticable standing by the truck or close too it. But walking up to it you can see them....I'm not sure if I like that. When I see then at night I'll decide if I want to keep them or not. If I do I'll do like I plan on doing with my Line of Fire and remove them to paint the brackets and body of the LED strip white to blend in with the truck and not stand out so bad.

Once it get's dark I'll go take some night shots for yall.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM

Here's a couple pics just after sunset and after dark. One thing I noticed that I like is that they light up the ground under the door, lets you see what your fixin to step on! I also think they go along pretty good with the Line of Fire I have on the back.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 PM

looks good. how bright are the reverse lights on the line of fire?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM

Pretty bright. I aint too far from you....Round Rock if you wanna meet up some time and see them in person. You dont really see the light on the ground since they aim straight back, but they really light up what ever your bumpers fixin to smack!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM

So do you like your BIG RIG lights? And what length are yours? Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 AM

Very nice install. Quick question though, you say you wired them up so they stayed on "bright" all the time, do you have to wire them up in a way that's different from the instruction's to achieve this? Whatever you did, they seem to be a lot brighter then other night picture's I have seen of them.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 AM

They are the 62"ers. I like them but at the same time I may take them off. I drive a lot of gravel roads and my rockers have taken a toll. I'm affraid of gravel slinging up and braking them, so I may end up removing them. And no, mudflaps are not an option.....I hate mudflaps. Other than that I like them.
Oh, and I should have centered them with the cab, not with the wheels. I think it looks to far rearward....at the time I installed them I thought centered with the wheels would look best.

The wire harness from the Big Big running lights has 3 wires. One is ground, one is suppose to splice into your running/parking light, and the last gets spliced into your blinker light. When you turn on your lights they turn on low, when you hit the blinker they flash brighter. I tested them before installing them by touching the wires to my batt. to see how they would look and I thought the 'low' was too dim. So I spliced both the running and blinking wire into the running/parking light wire in the trucks wireing harness.
In real life they are about the same brightness as the parking lights and cab lights.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I may hold off then until i get mudflaps behind my front wheers or get some nerfbars. Thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Bump. So do you still like them or do you still want to take them off? Looking at the same thing, just don't want to spend the money.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 PM

I ended up taking them off. I like the idea of them but would have kept them on if they ran from wheel well to wheel well, and had a smaller profile. If you want them I'll sell them to you. The only thing 'wrong' with them is it's missing one of the inline fuses. I had the wires routed behind my battery box and on the pass side I couldnt get it back out, so I had to cut it and leave the fuse behind the battery box. PM me if your interested.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 PM

Looks awesome!
Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 AM

all you need now is a wreath and ur all ready for the next Christmas Parade.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by vj_M
all you need now is a wreath and ur all ready for the next Christmas Parade.

OUCH!! That really hurt.

Jim