3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

BFG AT's in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BFG Rugged Trail has an entirely different tread. It's a highway tire period.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had mts in the snow before and they worked out great. however in the rain they do kind of suck. the ats i have now suck in the rain as far as breaking, but everywhere else they are fine. i havent had them in snow yet but a buddy took them wheeling in the snow on his f150 and they did great. so we will see.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you didn't notice by now, the Rugged trails, ATs, KOs and MTs all are different tires and perform differently. The Rugged trails are a highway tire rated for our truck's load that comes stock on trucks that are not equiped with the Michelin highway tire that is also load rated for the truck. Both are highway tires that provide more of a driving challenge when negotiating off road mud bogs or snow drifts than the others.... but a good driver can handle that and some love the challenge

The KOs provide good wet/dry/snow traction and wear well in my experience. I've not done much in the mud but they are OK on dirt.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just adding my .02--

On our Range Rover we went from BFG ko's to General Grabber AT2. The Generals are a much better tire in the snow/ice. And we see plenty of each in the Sierras. On the CTD, I went from Deans Mud Terrain to Truxus MT... We'll see... Truxus is the only "Mud Tire" I've found that does well on snow/ ice. It does have a soft compound though.

Think about things as far as they'll go though... many of the opinions are just based on singular personal experiences. Had "10 sets of BFG's and they are all great". Compared to what for him?? Had neighbor haul him to market one day in drag slicks and didn't work out too well so his is best?? c'mon.

All I'm saying is look at dedicated snow/ice tires. Very soft compounds, tread somewhat close together and lots of siping. For thin snow and ice that is the ticket. For deeper snow, you need some open lugs to dig down and through. For really deep snow... wait for the plow or have big tires aired way down.

BFG's have hard-- hard compound. That is why they wear so long and not so good on wet pavement. Yes, they have the snow rating... that's not quite all it's cracked up to be. On my Bronco, I've gone through 2 sets of Pro Comp AT's with same symbol. It just allows to "legally" run with out chains when otherwise required in some areas. And they have to meet a minimum reqiurement to get that. It is an awful lot like rating all these tires "mud and snow" when one look at them can tell you they are good for nothing more than highway use. But they are not all that in snow and ice and in deeper snow they don't dig down as I would like. But they are ok...

All I'm saying is everything has a compromise. In a perfect world I could run Blizzacks year round and get 80k out of them. This is why I run 2 sets of summer and winter tires.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Originally Posted by soulezoo
Just adding my .02--

..............On our Range Rover ..............

..............Think about things as far as they'll go though... many of the opinions are just based on singular personal experiences. Had "10 sets of BFG's and they are all great". Compared to what for him?? Had neighbor haul him to market one day in drag slicks and didn't work out too well so his is best?? c'mon. ....................

..............All I'm saying is look at dedicated snow/ice tires. Very soft compounds, tread somewhat close together and lots of siping. For thin snow and ice that is the ticket. For deeper snow, you need some open lugs to dig down and through. For really deep snow... wait for the plow or have big tires aired way down.............

BFG's have hard-- hard compound. .............

A range rover is a far cry for comparing to a 7000lbs truck especially since our trucks have zero traction int he rear due to the light wieght. big O makes and michelin both make gret ice and snow tires for that size and weight of rig but those tires wouldnt last 10k under a diesel.

My .02 based on multiple rigs, fleet of vehicles in montana, as well as my own miles and many different tire combos. all tires are either a 235/85/R16 E 255/85/R16 D 285/75R16 E

When temps drop soft rubber or not all tires become hard and sipping is your best friend

Keep your rims narrow, the wider the rim and the wider the tire the more floation and less lbs per sq inch of contact patch. weight and sipping work together to hold the truck to the ground our diesels are plagued by a heavy nose and a very light back end. no tire is going to improve that situation.

BFG AT's are not a hard compound (in tire production they are defined as medium rubber compount), the MT's are a harder compound but that is also effected by temprature and sipping on a 6800-7000 lbs truck they typically last 40-50k miles. the factory sipping on the BFG is very effective for icy conditions as well as in snow

Michelin M/S, work so so great ice ok on snow, last 80k miles have alot of sipping handle the weight of our trucks well leave you stranded if the snow gets deep use a Hard rubber compound

Wild country TXR's with studs and sipping. Medium-soft compound snow traction slightly improved over the BFG's but icy road traction equal to or less life span of tire under dodge diesels 20-25k miles manufactured by kelly springfield

Remmington mud brutes. with sipping, medium rubber compound, below 30 degree's on ice might as well have been driving on marbles and vasaline horrible braking horrible sidewalls when turning Life span 30-35k miles

BFG mudterrain With sipping medium to hard rubber compound. worse traction than the reminingtons life span of tire 30k miles

Toyo M55 Mud and snow E rated, sipped and some of my trucks were studded, nice tire medium to hard compound but still offered traction similar to the BFG's on ice and some lugs for helping with the snow. i would rate this one as an equal to the BFG on the ice and snowy highways. life span 50k-60k miles with heavy trucks some.

Cooper A/T's medium-hard rubber compound lots of factory sipping, good traction on ice so so on snow. similar to the Bridgestone duelers in traction and life span 50k miles not uncommon decent winter tire

Bridgestone duelers, a good tire a medium to hard rubber compound good balance of sipping and lugs typical life span 50-60k miles

Toyo Mud terrains E rated, medium to soft compound with sipping added decent traction did fair in moderate snow was not as functional on ice and icy roads

Wild country SXT similar to Big Mud terrain D rated good sipping benefitted from additional siping works great for first 15k mile sat 20k tire show significant wear and decreased performance life span 35k-40k miles

My employees preffered the Toyo M55 M&S's as well as the BFG AT's over all the tires on all of our trucks i was also tickled with the E rating compared to the D on other 285 variations due to the towing that they did regularly up to some of our timber sales

the best dedicated snow and ice tire we had was discontinued 10 years ago it was a retread variations using a very soft compound typical life was 15-18k miles in winter only but it had ground up walnut shells mixed in with the rubber and it was a MT tread as well it utilized sipping and had stud holes. we never needed to stud them and they could stop an empty truck on glare ice really well.

My prefference truely is to throw a 800-1200lbs pallet of shingles in the back of my truck for the winter ontop of whatever tire i ran for the summer (typically a BFG but not always since last year and this year im running a open country A/T) that gets me back and forth to alaska and Edmunton Canada through MT and now down into CA pretty well all winter so i figure if i can by with that can really seem much worse being thrown at me by mother nature.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 AM

I got the 285x75x16 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's and i love em in the winter.
they are siped so much stock i don't think they could handle anymore.

I'd buy em again.
they came on my truck darn near new,
i got 21k on em
and it looks like they should go to about 50k