3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

BFG 315 Owners - See if my tires look like yours

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG 315 Owners - See if my tires look like yours

Here is a shot of my BFG 315/70/17 tires. I know MANY of you have come on these forums and said that they fit fine on the stock 8" rims. Do your tires look like these ? I've got 23K on these set of tires so far and have always noticed that they just do no ride flat. As you can see in the picture, the inner and outer 1" of the tire does not contact the ground and as a result receives very little wear. I keep all of my tires aired to 45psi each. I've tried to let air out to get them to run flat, but I had to let alot of air out and I didn't feel comfortable running in low 30's psi.

Just looking to see if other BFG owners are experiencing the same.

Link to picture of tire wear
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28910293691.jpg&s=x10
Old 05-08-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes that is what happens when you run on a rim that is thinner than manufacturer recommendation. Mine are doing the same thing. It will shorten the life of the tire some. When time for my next set, I hope there are more after market wheel options that match stock backspacing/offset. The 315s would be better on 17x9s with proper backspace/offset.

Do not run the front lower than 45lbs. That is dangerous and could produce "Death Wobble", I know from experience. I now run 48lbs, the ride is not that much stiffer or rougher, but much safer.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine look the same also. I run 65PSI with the same results. This is my 3 sets of BFG's 315's. The most miles I get out of the is around 30-40K.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:01 AM

I have used BFG A/Ts for years on 4x4s and have generally expected 50K-60K out of them. None of these vehicles was a diesel or specifically a Cummins diesel, this additional weight up front makes a difference. I have 20,000 on mine now and they may not make 45k. I wont run them down to unsafe level. I just bought a used set with about the same mileage. I have mounted one on matching wheel for spare. I will start 5 tire rotation on next rotation and that will probably get me 50k +
Old 05-08-2005, 10:05 AM

315's ?

I have the 315s and have religously been running 50 psi since new. I have just turned 45,000 km and they still have over 60% of the rubber left on them. All i have done is had them rotated every 20,000 and kept the pressure at 50psi. I can't believe some are getting only 45,000k. I was worried also when i bought mine because i had heard they won't last very long. Maybe the cold Canadian winters with the snow help a lot. Interesting !
Old 05-08-2005, 11:21 AM

I got 24467 km out of my 285/75R16 BGF A/T T/A's on mine. Ran them at 52 psi. That's my current truck - 1/2 ton. I won't ever buy them again. They're great when new. Snow, ice, and mud traction went way downhill as soon as they showed any wear. They had no longevity for gravel punctures either. Each tire was repaired at least twice - a couple were repaired three and four times.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:32 PM

Mine do not wear like that and they are on the stock rims. I keep 45-50 psi in them depending on if I'm towing or not. The wear pattern indicates over-inflation. You're checking your pressures with the tires cold right!? If you're checking them hot then you will be way over-inflated..
Old 05-08-2005, 07:43 PM

yes, I check my tires cold.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Dodgezilla
Mine do not wear like that and they are on the stock rims. I keep 45-50 psi in them depending on if I'm towing or not. The wear pattern indicates over-inflation. You're checking your pressures with the tires cold right!? If you're checking them hot then you will be way over-inflated..
Actually, checking them hot will result in UNDER inflation. Since the tire pressure increases as they warm up, checking them warm results in a pressure that tricks you into thinking it's more than it is. Thus, you actually have LESS pressure, and underinflation.

Example: if you want 35 COLD, it increases to say 40 when HOT. If you set it at 35psi when HOT, then you actually have less than 35 due to the expansion. You ALWAYS go by COLD pressures.

jlh
Old 05-08-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Geico266
Mine look the same also. I run 65PSI with the same results. This is my 3 sets of BFG's 315's. The most miles I get out of the is around 30-40K.

the max tire pressure for that tire is 50 psi cold

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/asset...rain_ta_kd.pdf

how come yourd 3 set done not blown up yeet?

hehe j/k

i keep mine at 40 not towing then 50 towing and seem to be ok, or 20 if your off roadin
Old 05-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by BigBlueDodge
yes, I check my tires cold.
Have you double checked with another pressure guage?

I had been using my ole trusty one for years, never though there was anything amiss.

Got one of them fancy digital ones for Christmas last year and come to find out, ole trusty was reading 15lbs light for who knows how long.

(or is that heavy? ole trusty would show 50psi, but digital showed it as 35psi)

phox
Old 05-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Dodgezilla
If you're checking them hot then you will be way over-inflated..
Dodgezilla,

I think you mean they'll be underinflated if checking hot - once they cool, air contracts = less pressure than when checked. Sorry, I have to be a PIA at least once a day. And here was it. But yes, I get your meaning. Checking hot will show a higher pressure than once cool.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:57 PM

i have 20,000km's on mine and yes they wear like that only on the rear, as it is lighter, i think that if you took a pic of the fronts , the wear would be uniform.
i run 50 psi in both front and rear, taken cold.
that way i can rotat every 10,000kms , for the longest possible tire life, which the way they are going will be around 60,000 km's.
i also have a set of the same tire and size on 17"x9" rims but they are .5" short of factory back spacing, and 1" wider, thus stick out 1.5" wider then factory.i just installed fender flares to keep the stones at par from my paint. wow these tire throw stones good.
tread depth measured 2mm different from the rear to the fronts at my rotation. they seem to wear fairly even, with a little cuping due to hard corners????
i will be installing the after market rims and tire this week to see how they fit and ride.
i have run this tire before in the 35"x12.5" and have never seem more then 60,000km's before they are totally useless for traction.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:45 AM

bfg

big blue mine look just like that except for less tread in the center due to i cant keep my foot out of it . i ran them on my last ctd wich was a 92 model and got alot better wear out of them . i also just picked up a used set and will start useing them in the rotation . for the price of theses tires i wish i could get more mileage out of them . they seem to have alot softer tread.
d12
Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 AM

Alright! Alright! I'm backwards! Leave me alone!!!

Yes I meant underinflated and just the opposite of what I typed.....

My tires wear perfectly straight across but I do have one row of tread that for some reason, on the left front position, has a corner of it that rips off of the tire! It's not the outside or innermost tread rows either. It's the second row in from the outside. Maybe I'll post a pic later. It's very strange.....

Quick Reply: BFG 315 Owners - See if my tires look like yours