3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Best MPG and how you got it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is bone stock. 2005 Quadcab Longbed Laramie. Tires are BFG Long Trails, 48RE tranny, 3.73 rear. IF I set the cruise control at 55MPH I can generally run about 24MPG. Stop and go traffic destroys my mileage. I guess with an 8,100 pound truck it takes some fuel to get the beast moving.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I try to keep the boost below 8psi while cruising. Which is usually 70mph for me. At 55mph I'm only at several pounds of boost.

MikeyB
Old 03-20-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by goose2
I used to think my 17-18 mpg was bad, untill I asked my nephew what he got on his jeep liberty.(16 mpg on the freeway) With my ctd weighing in at twice the weight and a whole bunch more power. I fill pretty good with my mpg.
My truck has the same engine as the liberty. The 3.7l. Except my truck weighs more(i think), and I drive 70% hwy and get a hand calculated 14.4mpg. I'd much rather have a 8k lb. truck with the same or slighly better milage. Diesel is not that much more anyway. I'll have one as soon as I can find a dealer that is not a moron.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:32 AM

Best mileage to date...16.7 on the overhead. Hand calc. was 16.6. Pretty good for a 4x4 DRW.

First trick is to get accurate overhead info. To do that...after a fillup, turn key on but do not start. Reset the overhead. Resetting with the engine off tells the computer algorithm where "zero" is. Every time I've done this I've gotten overhead info that was within 1/10 of hand calculations. Resetting with the engine running gives you bogus information. A lot of people will reset while driving a certain speed, then making their mileage claims from that info....doesn't work that way and will be way off from hand calcs.

Second trick...keep your foot out of it.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Chapter President

Details are whats going to help everyone get mpg

I know from experience that I can get up to 28mpg. Now your saying what???? Well that's on the computer, so that counts right. Hand calculated driving 55 on the cruise through rolling hill with a strong head wind one way and a strong tail wind going back over 20mpg. Stock truck with 400lbs in the bed, stock tires. I have opened up my air box.
I'm begining to get the impression like some of you that there are some set up differences in these trucks from the factory. Injectors might be the biggest difference, then timing.
Those that claim 22+ in a 4x4 I'd love to take a ride with them and see if there OD is correct or correct it and then show them their real mpg.
My cousin is into Fords, helped his buddie mod. his and said 35mpg. Then finally hand calculated with the the corrections for tires and only 10!!!!!!mpg.
I really don't think some people have a clue.
Maybe I should start a thread that's What's the most miles driven on a stock fuel tank. Probably would find more realistic information.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:41 AM

MPG you got. 17.5
What year is your truck? 06
2wd/4wd? 4WD
Single or dually tires? Single Rear wheels
Is it stock? Yes Stock
What tires, size, brand, psi? Stock tires, @60 psi
Physical modifications, bed caps, toppers, lifted, ect.? Stock, no mods
Intake mods, stock, stock/different filter, intake replaced, ect.? Stock
Exhaust mods? Stock
Fuel mods? Brand, what setting, turbo. Stock
Miles driven/gals used?
Speed?
Wind, air temp, and elevations? Gusty wind arond 20, temp mid 40s, elev 200 feet
Hand calc. or computer mpg? computer
Fuel additives? Brand, how much. None
anything else that has relavance. mpg is mid 13s around town, Truck only has 1400 miles on it. 17.5 is the best I've seen. Empty no-load. This was computer calculated on the highway this weekend over a 200 mile trip @ around 65mph.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 AM

MPG you got = 21mpg
What year is your truck? 2005, odometer turned over 34K miles on this tank
2wd/4wd? 4wd
Single or dually tires? Single
Is it stock? Yes,
What tires, size, brand, psi? OEM BFG Ruged Trails @ 50 PSI
Physical modifications, bed caps, toppers, lifted, ect.? None
Intake mods? Swiss Cheese OEM airbox
Exhaust mods? 5 inch chrome tip :-), nothing else
Fuel mods? None
Miles driven/gals used? 644 miles, used 30.7 gallons
Speed? Avg around 60mph
Wind, air temp, and elevations? Some wind, Bone dry in OK, overcast in AR, and heavy rain to light mist in MS and AL, Airtemps 40-55 degrees, moderately flat to rolling terrain 300-1500 ft above sea level
Hand calc. or computer mpg? Hand clac at 21, overhead read slightly over 24
Fuel additives? YES, Redline 85, 12oz (1 bottle) in evey tank on this trip.

This part of the trip trip lasted over two days and 4 states with varying weather conditions. This particular tank started at the Love's Fuel Stop in Webers Falls, OK and ended at the Hess/Wilco truck stop in Cottondale, AL just outside of Tuscaloosa. Only 10% of this tank was 4 lane interstate Th rest was cross country 2 lane state routes. I kept all my speeds at 65 or below (1800-2000 RPM).

As a side note, worst fuel mileage was towing a trailer with a loaded truck, GCVW of 18K, through Idaho and Montana in August = 11.5mpg. On the same trip in the flat land of IN and IL garnered 14.5 mpg.

Keeping speeds down is pramount. Engine RPMs lower than 2000 are best. One of my goals is trying to squeeze a 700+ mile tank out of this rig without running on fumes.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 AM

I have 60k on my truck now. Last year I averaged 20.7 from jan-oct. Winter fuel never bothered me a bit. Since oct first tank of winter fuel mileage went to 19.6 and that is where it now. This is 80% short 10 min trips and through town, the remanining is highway at 73 mph. I average 1 1/2 hrs. idleing time each tank also. From my experience, the 555's are the only ones that post high mpg #'s and good ones when towing. Towing 7000lbs at 72-73 I will log 16.5 consistently, hand calculated on stock fueling. I have not had a tank of fuel average below 18.6 since new, not including towing.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:13 AM

sorry but I did forget to mention that my pyro is post turbo. I couldn't get the bolts out of the turbo to get it off and I'm not going to drill and tap the manifold and let all of that go into the turbo! I checked it today with my foot on the pedal on a flat section of road I can only get about 45mph holding 6 psi. at 8psi I can hold about 50 and around 10psi I can hold 55. then I gave up and kicked it back down to 60 with the cruise and didn't pay attention anymore.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:00 PM

I've never heard anyone else claim that resetting the overhead MPG is best done with the engine off. Did you read that somewhere, or is it just personal experience?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by WACTD
I've never heard anyone else claim that resetting the overhead MPG is best done with the engine off. Did you read that somewhere, or is it just personal experience?
Thanks!
Personal experience. I've tried it numerous times and every time I reset with the engine off at fill-up, I get accurate numbers. For further evidence of this...drive a a steady 60mph on level road and hit reset. Your mpg numbers will be quite high initially but will drop after a few miles. I believe this happens because the reset also establishes "zero", then has to compensate when it realizes that it's wrong.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:05 PM

Interesting. I'll try that at my next fill up (~500 miles from now!). I started another thread about how my overhead's figures shot up after my last reflash, such that as of my last fill up it was closer than ever before to hand-calc'd numbers (within a few tenths). Previously I'd never seen it closer than -1.5 (IOW, it always read about 1.5 low).

This morning the overhead topped 18 MPG for the first time ever. It's currently at 18.2 or 18.3. In the middle of the last tank it was averaging the mid-15's and might have touched 16 once. That's an improvement of +2 to +3 MPG in under 500 miles, with a reflash somewhere in the middle. It's a HUGE shift. The question is: Did the reflash really give me better MPG's, or did it just make the overhead more accurate? I won't know for sure for another 500 miles.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:50 PM

Truck in sig. I haven't gotten it ready to tow yet, but in mixed driving including one 550 mile round trip climbing from the coastal plain in southeast Georgia diagonally across the butt end of Apalachia each month, 19 mpg hand calced to 21 mpg hand calced. One-third of that trip is mostly flat, but the rest is up and down, up and down with the cruise set at 62 and being passed at every opportunity. Since so much of my driving is less than a mile around town, I've started driving it 33 miles south and back up on weekends just to excercise it and keep it quiet. It always seems to run better after a romp.

Next month I'll be towing 6,500 - 7,000 lbs on a 700 mile round trip. My '93 Dakota/5.2L/235 hp/auto/4.10 RE got 12.2 mpg towing the same trailer EMPTY 1,750 miles at around 5500 lbs. I'm very curious what the CDT will do with the same trailer at its loaded weight.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:14 PM

Miles and Miles

I 've been getting right at 17.7 most highway at 60 ,5 % city driving .Hand cal. 17.3 .Had the edge with att. stock air box,sil. ring gone .What's the Rocktech sensor all about?Have 18850 miles on it .04.5 auto 3.73
Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 PM

This weekend we took our first trip in the stock ’03 4x4 Quad Cab Dodge 2500 CTD of any real distance. We filled the tank in Bel Air MD (20 miles north of Baltimore) and added 1 bottle of Berryman centane boost with lubricant, and set all the overhead meters to zero and headed South for Durham NC. When we got South of DC I kept the cruse control between 68 and 70 when we got to 15 miles North of the North Carolina border we mad our first pit stop with about 270 miles on the trip odometer and computer calculated mileage of 23.1 miles/gallon. I let the truck idle for several minutes before stopping. When we got back on the road for the last 75 miles of the journey the mileage readings started dropping and when we pulled into the in-laws the meter said 22.2 mpg. Before leaving we did about 60 miles of short trips and town driving and the meter said 20.1 mpg. The trip OD said 391.7 miles and it took 18.9 gallons of diesel for a hand calculation of 19.7 mpg. The new fuel now diluted the centane boost and on the way back the computer calculated mileage was 20.2 for all highway driving. I would guess that the Berryman helped the mileage because I don’t remember changes in the milage when I drove my gas car back and forth 4 or 5 times a year when I lived in down there and commuted North.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Best MPG and how you got it?