3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Best cleaner for engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best cleaner for engine compartment?

Just wondering what you guys use to clean everything under the hood? Noticed while changing the oil today the top side of everything under the hood could use some cleaning ...Lot of dirt road traveling....I know they make some engine cleaner, but I want to make sure the cleaner won't harm any electrical connections ...Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 06:17 PM

I have always had good luck with Simple Green, full strength, in a spray bottle
Old 08-13-2006, 06:20 PM

I buy some of the purple junk from Lowes. Works well on engine compartment, frame, suspension, etc.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:29 PM

I tried GREEN and ORANGE etc.I like Gumout FOAMY ENGINE BRITE the best.Found the OTHERS discolored and left streaks,stains.Worked ok but not as good as the stuff designed to clean ENGINE areas.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jpfishmaster
I buy some of the purple junk from Lowes. Works well on engine compartment, frame, suspension, etc.
One caution on the "purple stuff". If you mean Castrol Purple, it is HIGHLY caustic and will discolor and dull aluminum parts
(ask me how I know....lol).

I like the Costco house brand of simple green full strength. Spray it on and let it sit a few minutes, rinse it with fresh water at moderate pressure and then blow everything off with compressed air. I try to avoid spraying directly on any electrical connections.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by packard8
One caution on the "purple stuff". If you mean Castrol Purple, it is HIGHLY caustic and will discolor and dull aluminum parts
(ask me how I know....lol).

I like the Costco house brand of simple green full strength. Spray it on and let it sit a few minutes, rinse it with fresh water at moderate pressure and then blow everything off with compressed air. I try to avoid spraying directly on any electrical connections.
Thanks Packard...I had some simple green I use to clean the tires when washing, but was afraid to use it until I asked the *EXPERTS*...Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:30 AM

lol, u guys are awesome
I wouldnever have even considered cleaning under the hood unless I just read this post
:adds simple green to shopping list:
Old 08-14-2006, 05:12 AM

After it is nice and clean, spray it down with Armor All to help protect the rubber and plastic parts. Makes it look good too.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:57 AM

Well ARMOUR ALL has a bad habit of holding crud,creeping into elect.connectors and causing issues.Ruins door, window,cruise control,light switches AND DASH's .(holds heat,will about burn your skin off in direct sunlight)I find it to be nasty stuff.if you want a SHINEY engine bay spray it with a film of CLEAR laqure spray paint.Helps seal,looks great,causes no issues and lasts with out attracting dirt,dust and makes it easier to clean in the future.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Simple Green or Fabuloso. Both will make the engine compartment smell good.

MikeyB
Old 08-14-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobob
I have always had good luck with Simple Green, full strength, in a spray bottle

Simple green took the paint off the valve cover on my last truck...so either it was too strong or the paint was poorly attached?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:09 AM

I have been using the stuff called Orange Blast. Seems to work ok and doesn't eat the driveway like gunk and some of the others.

I don't know how well it will work on really soiled motors though. The way I usually clean my engine compartment is, car wash soap and water, sponges (small and big), and a few towels. Then I try to dry it off so I don't leave water spots.

Yes, i'm rather nuts, but you can work under my hood and rinse your hands with just water and they'll be clean.

Mike
Old 08-14-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by angleiron
Simple green took the paint off the valve cover on my last truck...so either it was too strong or the paint was poorly attached?
I can take the paint off by rubbing my finger on it.

MikeyB
Old 08-14-2006, 03:33 PM

Thumbs up Believe it or not

I've had great luck with lysol kitchen and bathroom cleaner. I used to detail my mustang constantly, and this stuff works.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:08 PM

I use a detail spray for the painted surfaces.
Rubber protectant for the rubber and vinyl
Everything else just gets wiped down with a damp old bath towel dipped in auto shampoo. Then rince with another damp towel and dry.

Quick Reply: Best cleaner for engine compartment?