3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Best $2.77 AC mod.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with you on the "still too hot" to do this fix thing Rednax! My garage faces to the NW, and I like to do this sort of work in the late afternoon/early evening hours, but the Sun doesn't cooperate with me on these things! But after Labor Day, I'll swing by Grainger's,and pick up some of this insulation & the tape you put a link up for. Then I'll attempt this fix early in the morning, before it gets hot. I might even do the bypass fix while I'm at it. Grainger's has everything--gotta love that!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally broke down and did the mod this morning. Here are my comments, good and bad...

-- Ordered the insulation from Grainger, awesome price on the unit, but $13 to ship , oh well.
-- Couldn't figure out how to get the battery tray or air box out, had to work around them. I removed the air box lid and battery to give me more room to work.
-- Because of last comment, I lost about a 6" piece of the insulation I was trying to install behind the battery tray (it fell into the "black hole" that is the wheel well), which meant I was short that amount for part of the rest of the job. For the price and shipping, I'd order two units next time.
-- Otherwise, the install went pretty well. More time consuming that I anticipated, but luckily it was a nice day outside.
-- I concentrated first on the line from the firewall that runs behind the battery tray and air box. I only insulted up to the air box, no further. Used a zip ties where it made sense to help keep things secure, like around the elbows and other area where the split didn't seem to want to stay joined.
-- I used the leftover insulation to then insulate the other lines that are coming off the condensor until the product was used up. Again, had about a 6" area that I couldn't cover.

I haven't driven the truck yet, and the weather is finally starting to cool down so I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to fully test. I'm not sure if this will give me the "hang raw meat from the ceiling" kind of cold air I need in the Phoenix summers, but I'm sure it can only help. It was easy enough to do, so I'd recommend to do it again.

ben
Old 11-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed