3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ball Joints at 12,400 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ball Joints at 12,400 Miles?

I noticed a couple of days ago that the left front tire was beginning to cup on the outside of the tire. Hadn't noticed any vibration while driving yet. Took the truck to a local garage and tire dealer to have it checked out. They have done my alignment and chassis work for the last 15 years and I trust them completely. They determined the lower ball joints have too much play in them, and should be replaced. I will now take it to the dealer and try to get them replaced under warranty. I will let the board know how this plays out. Too bad if they do replace them, that they wouldn't replace with real "heavy duty" greasable joints. I know what you're thinking, but can't a guy just dream? Wish me luck.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:09 PM

Thumbs up What I found out.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the board. The saga continues. I took the truck in to the dealer. After looking at the tires, I was asked when the tires were rotated last. I told them THEY rotated them for me last. He looked on the vehicle record and said they were rotated at 4500 miles. Reminded me that DC recommends rotation at 7500. I told him that I was a whole 336 miles over the recommended rotation miles, and that's probably what caused the tire wear. (Being sarcastic.) He also said that they, the dealer, think that 7500 mile rotation on a 4 wheeler is kind of long, and they recommend the procedure every oil change. I agreed with him about the 7500 miles but feel that every 5000 might be more realistic. I have had a few different 4 wheelers through the years and know they can be hard on tires. I left the truck overnight and had them rotate the tires and check the ball joints for wear. They called the next day and stated the joints were well withing DC specs and were fine.(No charge) Needless to say, I figured they were zooming me and I decided to get another opinion. I scheduled an appointment at a local frame shop that is highly respected in the area on
8-22-06. I took the truck in and explained my problem. He asked me the name of the tire shop that had found the joints to be worn out. When I told him the name of the company, he said that he knew them and had a great deal of respect for them and their work. He said that even if he disagreed with their opinion, that alot of alignment work is subjective and open to opinion. He said he and his boss often have a difference of opinion on some front end work and alignments. That said, he put the truck on the rack, jacked the front axle up and checked joint play on both front wheels with a dial indicator. He determined that the left side had .022 and the right side had .024 play. He also checked the uppers for movement and it was very slight. They recommended I keep an eye on the tires in the future and if any wear is seen to get it in for service.
So, all in all, I have to concede that I will have to make sure to do my rotations at less miles, and watch the tires closer for wear. Maybe I just over reacted after having read all of the tire wear and bad ball joint threads on this and other boards. We need to keep in mind though that I was told they have noticed some premature ball joint failure at and above 30,000 miles or so.

I apologize for the long rant,but was trying to explain as clearly as possible, my experience. As far as the first shop that determined the ball joints were bad, they were the ones who recommended that I take it to the dealer to have them repaired since it was under warranty. They also didn't charge me for checking it out, so I don't think they were trying to rip me. I still have confidence in them after our years together. Call me a trusting soul, I guess.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bobk
He looked on the vehicle record and said they were rotated at 4500 miles. Reminded me that DC recommends rotation at 7500. I told him that I was a whole 336 miles over the recommended rotation miles, and that's probably what caused the tire wear. (Being sarcastic.) He also said that they, the dealer, think that 7500 mile rotation on a 4 wheeler is kind of long, and they recommend the procedure every oil change. I agreed with him about the 7500 miles but feel that every 5000 might be more realistic.
So he wants them rotated every oil change good............ my book in hand from dodge said "oil change 7500 miles for schedule A"

Think it would have been better to say they would like you to do it at 3500 miles or so.
If I remember in the other dodge had 14k oil changes and 7.5k for hard worked trucks or something like that.

Hope it works out for you.
Mine was showing outside wear and I went up in air to 60psi and now have 53k on them with 10-15k more but the UV cracks in the sides look bad so I'm getting new ones sat or sunday for 203 each mounted tax out the door
I will have them look at the front it has started to pull to the right think it is the tires but who knows. it can't be to bad I have never gotten this many miles out of tires.

Jon
Old 08-25-2006, 06:51 PM

Take the truck in for a state saftey inspection. If they flunk the ball joints, they have to be replaced... dealer/DC can't sidestep that one...