3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Awesome riding dually

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome riding dually

A while back someone wanted to know how the Ranchos do on my dually with all the other work - so here goes. The truck already had Firestone (no drill) bags when I bought it so I took out the bottom OL springs - also to help with the leveling of my low (42"hitch heigth) 5er. That made the rear lose 3/4" of travel and it bottomed out too easily so I cut down the bottom airbag mounts and got the 3/4" of travel back. I put the 9000s on yesterday and drove it today. I took a beavertail flatbed and tractor back to a rental store for my neighbor and there is a RR crossing from Baltimore on the way. Later my wife and I ran errands and took that same road. Towing and empty it did great on the tracks - firm, no bounce and no bottoming out either way. All the other rough roads were a piece of cake! I even have 75 psi in the rear tires for all the heavy stuff I've been hauling in the bed and it still rides better than the last 1/2T I had. I had all the shocks set on 5 and 20 psi in the bags when the trailer was on and that was even a little too stiff. Empty, I ran the front shocks on 3 and the rears on 1 and 10 psi in the bags. I built the hauler bed so low, I can stand to add 3/4" spacers where the OLs came out and still have the 5er level. Doing that and dropping the pressure in the tires will be icing on the cake! BTW, my 850 lb. hauler bed helps the ride, too. Craig