3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Auto Locks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Locks

How do you turn off the auto lock for the doors when you are driving and the locks lock when you go over 15mph? I have done what the manual says a number of times and can't get the chime that lets you know it has changed. I got the horn not to beep when you lock the doors and all the doors to unlock at once but can't get the above mentioned to turn off. Thanks for any help, Kris
Old 05-30-2003, 12:01 AM

Re:Auto Locks

I had a heck of a time getting mine to work as well....but after about 250 tries it finally took. Haven't a clue what I did different - I tried it every way, and finally it just worked. My only suggestion is that I did it on the faster side when it finally worked - although I think I tried it even faster on one of the many unsuccesfull tries. Just keep doing it - it should eventually work.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:28 AM

Thanks misterKTM, I'll just keep trying.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to reprogram mine by cycling the ignition switch very fast. I wish the manual would be a little more detailed on the cycling speed. &gt;<br><br>MikeyB
Old 05-31-2003, 04:42 PM

Commando, sorry to hear about your brother and I understand what your saying but I don't want my truck telling me if I want my locks locked or not, I can make that decision for myself. Also I am in and out of my pick-up all day so I leave the keys in it or leave it running so I feel better if all the doors are unlocked when I get out. And as far as the car jacking, that's why I live fifty miles from town ;D
Thanks for your replys, I got it to work finally!
Kris
Old 06-01-2003, 07:08 AM

The auto locking doors are standard on most vehicles at the request of many urban law enforcement agencies and insurance companies.

Some of the readers will recall the rash of carjackings which reached a peak in the 90s. Many of those would have been prevented if the doors had been locked.

The auto locking feature does not lock the front doors from the inside. Only the rear doors are locked inside and out. This is because many of you have small children that need to be protected from themselves and their natural curiosity. How much effort does it take to hit the &quot;unlock&quot; if you want the rear doors open.

I like the fact that when driving solo I can park and know if I see the lock button down on the driver's door, all doors are locked because of the locking feature.

Don't disable a safety feature.

Vaquero Kris, living in the boonies doesn't prevent you from being a carjacking victim. I live 50 miles from the big city too. we had a couple of teen-age thugs put a 75 year old lady in her car trunk. She had pulled into the parking lot of a grocery store in the boonies. Her doors were unlocked. One slid into the passenger seat pretending to have a gun, the other open the driver's door and grabbing her arm pulled her out.

Old 06-01-2003, 03:02 PM

Sierra Phil, I understand all that and respect your opinion but I just don't want them locked, it's kind of like the whole seat belt issue. I have my friend Mr. Ruger 357mag. riding w/ me and if I want to lock all the doors all I need to do is push a button. I'm not trying to start an argument but don't want a computer telling me that I'm to stupid to know if I want the doors locked or not. If you like the feature leave it and if you don't then you can change it, that's why there are instructions in the owners manual to do so.<br>Kris
Old 06-01-2003, 07:22 PM

Call me a Luddite but I don't like the rolling door locks and I don't like airbags either.<br><br>Reading through the Service Manual, I found the following interesting information about the locks: <br>&quot;Upon detection of an airbag deployment by way of the PCI bus, the instrument cluster will: <br>1. Immediately disable the power door lock output.<br>2. Unlock all doors by activating the door unlock<br>output for approximately 300 milliseconds.<br>3. After actuating the door unlock output, allow<br>the door lock motors to be activated if the door lock<br>input has been inactive (not erratic) for 2 seconds<br>since the reception of the airbag deployment message.&quot;<br><br>Sounds like it unlocks the doors for you in an accident. So the rolling lock feature won't do much good keeping the doors shut in a roll over. And, personally, I'm not worried about the slim chance of a carjacking so there's little point me having the rolling lock feature enabled.<br><br>On airbags, I recall when they first came out they were hyped as the replacement for seatbelts. Now, they are not only NOT a replacement for seatbelts, they might kill you if you 're not wearing your seatbelt. And you have to put your kids in the back and take your eyes off the road to see them. And they are harmful to smaller drivers. They've lowered the power some to make then less harmful but I'd still be happer without them and just wear my seatbelt like I always have.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:30 AM

must have tried twenty times the other day and finally gave up. I read this post today and thought I'd give it another shot. Took the advice to cycle the ignition really fast. Finally worked after two tries ;D
Old 06-02-2003, 04:53 AM

When you first put the key in the ignition, you are in the total off mode. Turn the key one notch toward start and then start your 4 times cycling routine. Do not do your cycling to the total off position, just go back and forth that one notch. I had a hard time figuring this out but once I did, it works every time. Hope all of the above is clear.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:56 AM

Most people believe they are immortal until it happens.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:05 PM

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=17;threadid=15306;start=0#144455 date=1054469310]<br>The auto locking doors are standard on most vehicles at the request of many urban law enforcement agencies and insurance companies.<br><br>Some of the readers will recall the rash of carjackings which reached a peak in the 90s. Many of those would have been prevented if the doors had been locked. <br><br>The auto locking feature does not lock the front doors from the inside. Only the rear doors are locked inside and out. This is because many of you have small children that need to be protected from themselves and their natural curiosity. How much effort does it take to hit the &quot;unlock&quot; if you want the rear doors open.<br><br>I like the fact that when driving solo I can park and know if I see the lock button down on the driver's door, all doors are locked because of the locking feature. <br><br>Don't disable a safety feature. <br>[/quote]<br><br>This is why I will never by a GM product, I do not want somebody telling me I have to have my headlights on. I respect the fact that DC give me the option to use the &quot;safety&quot; features that they have given. This is what makes america great, freedom of choice and opinion. Does auto locking the doors , or drl's make driving safer?? I know that I prefer not to have these decisions predetermined for me.<br><br>my 2cents<br><br>
Old 06-04-2003, 12:52 PM

[quote author=mra35 link=board=17;threadid=15306;start=0#145654 date=1054746306]
.......Does auto locking the doors , or drl's make driving safer?? ...........
[/quote]

Would I be able to convince you? I think not, so why try? I tried in vain to convince my buddy not to remove the guard on his table saw ( another nosey government mandate).....now he can only count to nine and has a new-found appreciation for the opposable thumb.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:35 PM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=17;threadid=15306;start=0#145670 <br>
<br><br>Would I be able to convince you? I think not, so why try? I tried in vain to convince my buddy not to remove the guard on his table saw ( another nosey government mandate).....now he can only count to nine and has a new-found appreciation for the opposable thumb.<br>
<br><br>This is where the old common sense comes into play. I am just stating that I would prefer to not have &quot;safety&quot; features pushed on me. I can just as easily reach and flick the door lock button, like I do when the kids are in back, yet when I am running acroos the street to pick up something I don't want to deal with locking and unlocking the doors. Trust me I am all for safety, I just don't think that we need to be govered to death. Colorado is a non helmet law state, yet I always wear a helmet. My choice.<br><br>

Quick Reply: Auto Locks