3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Anyone w/ 05 & High idle enabled...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCROMAN
Mine was already enabled straight off the lot without asking. I suggest you try it before you bother with the dealer...you may already have it enabled....
Please, give me the benifit of intelligence.

I wouldn't have posted had it worked.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajpulley
Please, give me the benifit of intelligence.

I wouldn't have posted had it worked.

Hey AJ, are you sure your trying your truck, and not someone else's??

I can remeber getting in my truck a few times and trying the whole sequence telling myself, "Hey, Maybe it will work today". Reality set in, and I realized, "Yea, Im gonna have to go to a dealer and get it enabled"

Good luck and remember, it's through the cruise buttons, not the radio pre-set's!!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:40 AM

My truck is a 2004.5 but I'm sure the procedure is the same.

My dealer had it done in less than 10 minutes.

Call the service department:

http://www.herbchambers.fivestardealers.com/

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Dont want to get off topic but is this not something every truck comes with? I just got my truck this week and did not know about it yet until I saw this post so I just went out and tried it and it worked on mine. Did the previous owner have to have in programmed?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2004 305 555 .
In cold weather the idle will bump up to 1000 rpm after a couple of minutes as normal.
Will the TSB for the adjustable high idle work for the 305 555 ?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:49 AM

So does the 2003 have this option ? or do I need to get it done to my truck.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ToTo, you'll have to get your ECM flash updated, and then enabled with the DRB

Routerguy99, your 03 has the old school electronics so "no" you can't get the manual idle enable.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:23 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by J BODY
ToTo, you'll have to get your ECM flash updated, and then enabled with the DRB

Routerguy99, your 03 has the old school electronics so "no" you can't get the manual idle enable.
D@mit that stinks, thanks the reply
Old 12-02-2005, 07:21 AM

Is this the high idle?

The weather has just started getting colder here and the other morning after starting my truck it automatically jumped to 1,000rpm's. I started it and went in the house and all the sudden I heard a higher rpm sound and went outside to see what was going on and when I checked the tach it was idiling on 1,000 and I did nothing to activate it. Is this the high idle feature or is this something else?
Thanks
JP
Old 12-02-2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by JPDiesel
The weather has just started getting colder here and the other morning after starting my truck it automatically jumped to 1,000rpm's. I started it and went in the house and all the sudden I heard a higher rpm sound and went outside to see what was going on and when I checked the tach it was idiling on 1,000 and I did nothing to activate it. Is this the high idle feature or is this something else?
Thanks
JP
ther are actually 2 different high idle features 1 is automatic like you described, it will raise the idle to around 1000 rpm when it detects cold (no sure of exact temp) ambient air temp. the 2nd is controlled thru your cruise control, & until recently was available only on automatic trans. trucks, you start the truck, turn cruise on & hit set (must be in park, with foot off the brake) it will raise idle to 1000 rpm, then you can raise & lower it with accel & decel buttons between 1000-1500 rpm. this option must be activated by the dealer, unless you have the bully dog programmer, it is built into their programming, if you have a manual look here: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...nual+high+idle
Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM

Finally got the High Idle enabled today. It's funny how the Dodge Diesel Tech went from, "there is no High Idle option for the 2004.5 to current vehicles" to "it will cost $40 to enable that feature." Of course I preceeded to remind them that this was my forth trip for this and after a teaching course on 2005 CTD Rams, they would enable it free of charge or tell the dealership management why I would no longer be a customer.

If you want this enabled, be calm yet firm with your persistence. Also, have as much information available, found here in the DTR forums.

Becoming a member of this group has been one of the best things I've ever done. The information and people here at DTR are excellent. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks to all the guys who gave me the names of the dealers that enabled their high-idle feature. I had no luck with the three Dodge dealers near me. So, after thinking about it, I didn't need a Dodge service department, just a Chrysler service department to negate future warranty discrepancies. I've been into Jeeps for a while and took the matter to the Jeep dealer I use for my parts and technical research for my 87 XJ. I also started ordering my Ram's axle gaskets and some other parts from there. The senior technician, who worked for Dodge five years ago, had it done in less than five minutes and the service manager didn't charge me a thing.

I think I'll write a letter and send it to DC, and send a copy to the five-star Dodge dealer who told me my truck couldn't be done and a copy to the no-star Jeep dealer.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:08 AM

So does anyone know if the Superchips Flashpaq can be used to update the high idle option? It can be used for a whole lot of other things just wondering if THE NEW '06 version they have out will work. Supposedly you can compensate for Tire or Gear Swaps, set higher RPM limits etc etc. I use to have one that was similar that I used on myu gasser and could reprogram anything in the truck onboard computer.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:22 AM

Sending a letter with a poor report makes you feel better, but I also like to send a letter to the people who did something right for me. If you have outstanding service let their bosses know. You will have the best service in the world as long as those people are there, not to mention a friend.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:05 AM

When you have the dealer enable this high idle feature, is there any chance that they also change something else (maybe inadvertantly) that you didn't want changed? I really like the way mine runs and behaves now - am I tempting fate if I mess with getting the high idle enabled?

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ 05 & High idle enabled...