3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Anyone w/ 05 & High idle enabled...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone w/ 05 & High idle enabled...

I'm still having no luck with two of the dealers here. Would anyone with an 05 who had had it enabled by thier dealer please PM me with that dealer's phone? Yes, I know about the TSBs for 04s and so on. Dealers have small minds, so I would like to have them talk to another who has actually enabled an 05.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edit

nevermind
Old 11-25-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had mine enabled on my 04.5 after two trips to the dealer. what you need to do is go to www.genosgarage.com and print yourself a copy of the procedure for the high idle feature under the tsb-so the tech can have the directions on how to do it!!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ajpulley
I'm still having no luck with two of the dealers here. Would anyone with an 05 who had had it enabled by thier dealer please PM me with that dealer's phone? Yes, I know about the TSBs for 04s and so on. Dealers have small minds, so I would like to have them talk to another who has actually enabled an 05.

Thanks.

Where are you located. I just had mine done last week in Bergen county N.J. If your near there, let me know.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:20 PM

what exactly does the hight edle do?
I am looking for something that works like a choke. Im near phila, pa and in the cold morning she is rough. Ive read that i am supposed to bring er up to 1000 rms for a moment to help flow and so forth but it would be nice if there were a switch or something so i didnt freeze my butt off doing it myself
Old 11-25-2005, 06:59 PM

There is a thousand threads on this one subject if you do a search.

The high Idle is enabled through the "scan tool" from a dealer. What it does is activate an already existing option in the AUTOMATICS.

When you start your truck, as long as its in park and your not pressing the brake, you press the "Cruise" button to on, than you press the "set" button. That will make the engine rev up to 1,100 Rpm's. Than you can hit the "accell" button, and manually keep raising it up to 1,500 Rpms. It will drop back down to normal Idle when you either hit the brake, or turn it off with the cruise button.

I had it done right before I went hunting upstate, and it was 18 deg. out. I would start my truck, and raise the idle to 1,200 rpms, and than load up my gear and stuff, and buy the time I was done, there was enough heat to start defrosting the windows, and start to heat the cab.

Some dealers want to charge over $100 to do this 45 second process, and some dealers will do it for nothing or next to nothing, Took me like 4 dealers till I found one that knew what I was talking about, and didnt want alot of money. It's the same scenario with the block heater cord. All cummins motors come with the plug in the block from the factory, but the cord is an option through your dealer. My dealer wanted $48 + tax for the cord, I went to a Cummin's dealer in Jersey City, and it was a total of $11.39 with tax for that same cord!! You really have to shop around and know what prices are fair, and what prices are a rip-off!!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out page 233 of your 2005 Owner's Manual and wave it in their faces, or better yet ! That's what it took to get my dealer to take me seriously. Once they actually tried, they found it right away under "Customer Requested Features" or something like that on the main menu of the DRB scan tool.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
Where are you located. I just had mine done last week in Bergen county N.J. If your near there, let me know.
Located in Eastern Mass. I just need a number to a dealer who DOES know how to do it. And, yes, I already brought them TSB 18-004-04. And, YES, I already did wave the manual in thier faces. I called DC corp, and they called the dealer and asked why would we put it in the manual if it couldn't be done. Yes, yes, YES! I've done all that. Now, IF YOU HAVE AN 05 AND HAVE HAD IT DONE BY A DEALER, FEEL FREE TO SEND ME A NUMBER SO I CAN HAVE MY DEALER CONTACT YOURS. Until then, nothing I say will make them understand!!!!!

And, go search threads if you don't understand what we're discussing!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:15 PM

I P.M.'d you with the dealer info that did my truck.

I TOTALLY agree with searching this subject!! There's gotta be like 7 different threads on this same subject and question going on right now!!

Maybe a moderator should just put up one thread, explaning what this is, what it does, what trucks it's available on, the TSB's for it. This has been an on-going question on such a basic thing, and its been asked and answered a million times over the past few months. .... And now with the cold weather here, it's being asked about a million times again

Oh well,... any way, one other quick question, Does anybody know where the spark plugs are on these trucks??
Old 11-26-2005, 09:40 AM

Here's the dealer that enabled mine, took him 30 seconds.

(775) 786-1211

The problem with taking the tsb and waving it in their face is, #1 it doesn't apply to 05 truck, so the service writer automatically thinks he's right and your wrong and will disregard it.

#2 it only applys to 04 trucks, as the high idle program needs to be loaded in then enabled. The 05 already has the program, it just needs to be enabled. (this has nothing to do with the tsb)

Have your dealer give these guys a call, they know exactly what it is and how to do it.
DK
Old 11-26-2005, 10:17 AM

When I went to Mullen motors in WV. The tech apologized to me for not having it turned on already. He normally does it to all of them just for good measure, but he was in training when a few passed through.
So far so good with my dealer.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:24 AM

When I went to Mullen motors in WV. The tech apologized to me for not having it turned on already. He normally does it to all of them just for good measure, but he was in training when a few passed through.
So far so good with my dealer.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:33 AM

Hey, thanks everybody! I've got 4 dealers to call Monday. I hope I can get this going. You'de think all dealer's would have access to information like this. It's pitiful when a consumer knows more about what options are available on thier vehicle than a Five Star dealer. DC is going to get a detailed letter from me about why I think they should drop one or two of those stars!!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_K
Here's the dealer that enabled mine, took him 30 seconds.

(775) 786-1211

The problem with taking the tsb and waving it in their face is, #1 it doesn't apply to 05 truck, so the service writer automatically thinks he's right and your wrong and will disregard it.

#2 it only applys to 04 trucks, as the high idle program needs to be loaded in then enabled. The 05 already has the program, it just needs to be enabled. (this has nothing to do with the tsb)

Have your dealer give these guys a call, they know exactly what it is and how to do it.
DK

Mine was already enabled straight off the lot without asking. I suggest you try it before you bother with the dealer...you may already have it enabled....

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ 05 & High idle enabled...