3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Anyone Line-X the fold-flat floor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone Line-X the fold-flat floor?

I just picked up my truck from the Line-X place (looks awesome, BTW). I did it over the rails and glad I did. On the way home, I was thinking about the fold flat floor and how slippery it is (smaller groceries end up on the floor and wedged against the door). I wonder how Line-X or something even more grippy would work on the FFF.

Has anyone done this or think it's a good idea? This might even be an application for those DIY coatings that have been discussed here in another thread.

Thoughts???

Neil

PS - Anyone who's doing Line-X, be sure to print out the $20 coupon from the Line-X website.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had it done when my box was sprayed, costed an extra 40 bucks. Looks really good and my stuff/dog does not slide around.
Worth every penny!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 AM

I never thought about that. I used some 3m grip tape instead on mine. The dog and groceries don't slide around at all.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:05 PM

fold flat floor removal

has anyone removed the fold flat floor to have this done? I started to and the 18mm bolts that attaches it are backing out very hard, I just don't want to undo something I can't redo in the future.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:29 PM

Yes the line x guy took the floor out. I watched and it did not look like it was a problem to do this.
bish
Old 02-06-2005, 10:14 PM

I also did the 3M grip tape on the top ridges of the fold flat floor and it works fine. I got the 3M tape at Home Depot for less than $10 and it was enough to cover all of the ridges. No need to Line-X coat the entire FFF and the tape costs much less.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Banned

I haven't had mine done yet, but when I've called for quotes I always ask how much more for the floors. So far, none of the installers have known what I'm talking about and said, "oh, probably about a hundred bucks" when I describe it to them. Sounds pretty high to me.

I'll be getting it done this spring and will take the panels out before I go in. I would expect no more than $50, but I'm going to try and get them to throw it in for the price. Before I moved from TX, the installers there were quoting me about $425-450 over the rails. Here in RI, they're all $500-525. Sheesh. Should have done it before I moved!
Old 02-07-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will have to try the 3M Grip tape. I have a tailgate mat that came with the bed mat I put in the bed. The tailgate mat fits perfect when both sides of the fold out are down. But wont work on just one side obviously.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:54 PM

The guy that did my rhino liner said if I bring in the FFF he will spray it for free the next time he does a bed so I am really motavatied to get it removed.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:37 PM

Personally, I'd be looking for some kind of spray on (or glue on) rubber coating. I've got a line X bed liner and while it reduced the sliding around in the bed, it doesn't come anywhere close to eliminating it. For the bed, I guess I have to live with it. For the fold down floor, either there is a solution to stop slipping, or not. Line X won't. It will protect the floor, but unless you are using it for equipment or heavy tool chests, I don't see the point. Just my opinion
Old 02-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kayjh
Line X won't.
Rhino will.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:44 PM

my Line-X dealer said no way, too many hinges. I don't think he wanted to be liable for any goof ups on my new truck.

I had them undercoat the truck when I got the bed line-xed. I told the guy to not undercoat the wheel well liners. WHen I picked up the truck the wheel well liners were undercoated. They also got overspray all over my engine, PCM, and turbo. I was not happy at all.

He ended up paying me cash for new front wheel well liners and knocked off a few bucks on the undercoating job. A little bit off topic
Old 02-08-2005, 04:12 PM

I recall seeing a spray-on bedliner that comes in various "hardnesses". The softest is the stickiest and seemed to be a lot like a rubber coating. The hardest is bullet proof for beds that will have people chucking cinder blocks into them - the hardest is highly dent resistant. There is also a middle version - half way between rubber and the hardest version. Unfortunately, I can't remember the manufacturer - perhaps someone else knows?

Anyway, the point is the rubber version might make a good coating for the back of the FFF.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:38 PM

The bolts are hard because of a taper and some "goo" on them. Just crank them out and reinstall later. No problem at all...just feels wierd.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:10 PM

I tried a rattle can non slip rubberized type spray on the FFF. Worked for a while, but is now shedding like a bad sunburn. Talked to a Lixex dealer at an outdoor show this weekend about spraying just the FFF. He nodded and smiled, and said a floor would be a couple hundred bucks. (!) Correctly figuring he had absolutely no clue to what I was describing, I walked him over to his Dodge 1500 Lariat and showed him the FFF. Surprise!
Anyway, I figured the Linex is a bit too tough and thick for the FFF. I'll try the 3M tape. Plastic ice chests are the most slippery item so far...
TP

Quick Reply: Anyone Line-X the fold-flat floor?