3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Anyone else got a rattle in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone else got a rattle in the dash?

Well for the past few weeks, I have had a rattle in my dash. This didn't bother me much as it was only noticeable, when the truck was at an idle.

Well after having several friends in my truck, they commented on that **** noise. So, I decided to take it into the dealer and have them hunt it down. Because the noise was only noticeable at idle, I was worried that I would be told it was normal for a diesel, heck they are supposed to rattle.

So I dropped it off early in the morning, expecting to come back after work and have a quiet truck once again. Well, later in the afternoon I got a call from my service manager and he says they finally found the rattle! It appears that the inlet to the heater, in the dash, was loose and was rattling. This made sense as when the engine was under a load, it would be putting more pressure on that line... I thanked him for finding it, and he told me no problem, the truck should be ready tommorrow! I had to leave it there overnight, they wouldn't have it all re-assembled before closing.

Well this morning I went and picked it up. Once again, it is nice and quiet on the inside. Feels like I just drove it off the lot again.

Not sure if anyone else has had this happen to them, or experiencing this noise, but thought you all might be interested.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:21 PM

Mine does it. But only on occasion and only in gear at a stop. If I put it in neutral it stops. Due to my pronounced fear of visiting the service dept. I just put up with it.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a nasty one that irritated the #### out of me. Started at about 800 miles. Took it to the dealer. When I picked it up, paperwork said "free-floated the dash." Whatever that means, it worked.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by mymaur
Mine does it. But only on occasion and only in gear at a stop. If I put it in neutral it stops. Due to my pronounced fear of visiting the service dept. I just put up with it.

I'll second that!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Chapter President

Well to help affirm your fears, the truck just aint the same.

The air conditioning is horrible now. It used to freeze me out, now it takes an hour to get cool inside the truck. Living in the land of 110 degree days, this won't cut it. The air on the drivers side blows at least 20 degrees cooler than the air on the passenger side.

So the truck is back in the shop to have this corrected, I sure hope they can make it the way it used to be, minus the rattle.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:01 PM

Have a "buzzing" sound at idle and when first accelerating. Dealer says this is covered under the 12,000 mile adjustment phase. Since Dodge is buying me out of the truck, I have not taken it back.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:36 AM

Mine just started rattling not to long ago....annoying as all get out but I guess I will live with it, wouldn't want the Dealer to screw something else up trying to fix it.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Banned

LOL seems like you guys need a support group called "afraid of dealers anonymous". Welcome to the world of flat rate and cost cutting.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use to have a rattle in the dash. But then it mysteriously stopped. The only thing I did that might have something to do with the rattle was tie wrapping the hydroboost lines together.

MikeyB
Old 06-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Chapter President

It appears there wasn't much of a problem with the air conditioning, rather they just didn't line up the vents correctly. After another day in the shop, and a slight adjustment to the alignment of the vents, everything seems to be fine and no rattles or noises.

I'm not afraid of the dealer, and they have done a good job taking care of me and my truck, I guess as long as you expect that to err is human, things just don't upset you as much.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:14 PM

Glad it's fixed, good to know the dealer will still help rather than just hinder.

enjoy your ride

Dennis