3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Any tips for squeezing out a few more MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets see how many i can get looking for the turbo disengage button. hehe
Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 PM

Take the tailgate OFF. Good for at least 2 m.p.g. Proven by my own personal experience.
Instant increase in fuel mileage & FREE!!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by GMScott
Take the tailgate OFF. Good for at least 2 m.p.g. Proven by my own personal experience.
Instant increase in fuel mileage & FREE!!
Don't take it totally off, get the Wing kit and mount it horizontally to push the tail end down. That is good for getting you closer to the ground and at least 3 more MPG.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:04 PM

$6000 engine NOT!!!!

It's a $20,000 engine!

The injectors alone are nearly $5000!

CP
Old 05-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Best MPG to date. 54K on truck, highway 65-70 MPH, 22 MPG hand calculated, Quad race on High.

I have run 3 or 4 tanks on each setting and high seems to give the best MPG, not sure why bit I assume it is the timing?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:47 PM

Progressive shifting will help on economy. The only way I know to describe progressive shifting is shifting soon and not reving so high. I generally shift to the next higher gear where it will drop down to about 1500 rpms as long as its on flat ground or if I'm coasting downhill i'll shift to a gear where it'll drop down to 1400 rpms and let it coast upwards from there to keep it from lugging. On downshifting you'll let the engine slow down to below where it would lug if you accelerated then downshift. Treat the gas pedal like you've got an eggshell under your foot. As someone else suggested always be anticipating the people in front of you and red lights etc so your deceleration and such is gentle and not abrupt. At highways speeds 1650-1700 rpms is the sweet spot for economy on these engines. I can set the cruise on 65 mph in 6th over in mine and get 22 on the overhead pretty easy.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:18 AM

Cover the bed with a tonneau type cover or a shell. Good for 1-2 mpg.

FYI - myth busters has proven that running with the tailgate down or off actually decreases fuel mileage.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 AM

i was going to say teh same thing 2003Ram... mythbusters drove further with the tailgate up than with a truck that had no tailgate... its the confluence of air in the back that is designed to be there that you are distorting when removing the gate... the gate actually creates drag to create a force to help create a bubble... just FYI...

Originally Posted by University of Indiana
A closed tailgate sets up a bubble of air that slowly circulates in the bed of the truck. Air coming over the cab of the truck treats the bubble as a smooth cover over the bed, and passes over this "cover" without ramming into the tailgate.

Opening the tailgate breaks up this smooth bubble of air. The air then rushes over the cab, and quickly down into the bed. This creates a lot of turbulence, which results in more drag. So technically speaking, with the tailgate open the shape of the truck is not as aerodynamic as it is with the tailgate closed.

So, gas mileage is better with the tailgate closed. Actually you probably wouldn't notice much improvement at lower speeds, but at highway speeds of sixty miles-per-hour and above you should get slightly better mileage. Also, the truck is structurally stronger with the tailgate up, so that's two good reasons to keep it closed. Well, maybe a third would be to keep the trash you're hauling from spilling onto the road, but that's another story.
Source:http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/tailgate.html
Old 05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
wrm

lighter weight syn. oil (5-30)
Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 PM

Free Spin hubs = 2-4 MPG
for the G56 a GV over drive
Keep your stock tires.
Smarty

However it looks like lower gears are coming out for the AAM so that would be better then the $ for the GV unit! I probably would have done that instead, but do like the double overdrive

Smarty helps with better fuel management too.

Last 2 tanks averaged over 21 mpg.

My highway MPG is up considerably. From 17 (stock) to up to 22+ now. I bet 23 on the long flats. Sure beats 17 MPG at 65-70 ... I still go 70 and get 5 mpg more.

The G56 kicks butt around town too. Last 3 tanks all broke 20 mpg with shorts trips some light towing and both highway and around town.

Pre mods got me 16-18 average I like this 20-22 average a whole lot better.

I live on top of a large hill so any short 3 mile trips to the post office etc are using fuel big time. That is what kills my peak MPG #'s

On the flats I watch the over head start to climb on the highway. 23, 24, 25, 26 .. even 27!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The most effective thing is to slow down. And it's free!

Avoid hard acceleration from stops.

Steady throttle.

Coasting as you approach stops.

Don't run oversize and wider tires, or very aggressive tread.

Removing the tail gate was mentioned but it has been shown that leaving it on is LESS drag.

Carry less excess weight.

Take efficient routes.

Avoid long warmups.

Advance the timing.

Free-spin hubs.

Take the econo car for short light trips.

These are all things we all already know. It's kinda funny that some of us will spend piles of money to make these trucks faster, higher, and put huge tires on. We'll drive them a mile or two empty to go to the store. We'll race a friend or try to get them to smoke. Then sweat the mileage.

Wetspirit
Old 05-22-2007, 02:52 PM

Then sweat the mileage.

NOT ME..............
Old 05-22-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Yah, me too, weird huh?

I wish it had one more gear, would like to be able to cruise at 65 at less than 2000 RPM, was thinkin of trying 315's on H2 wheels, think that would help on the highway?
I think that my milage went up slightly after I put on teh 315s, but my engine was still breaking in. I get about 22 mpg highway (65 - 70 MPH) in summer & 20 mpg highway in winter. My in town milage is about 17 - 18.

I drive for milage - no fun, shift well under 2000 rpm, no black smoke, etc.
Also, tires are at max pressure (50 psi).
Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at details on the 1/2 ton high performance Dodge as it was detailed at the factory for a higher top speed. There might be some things / ideas that can be used on our trucks.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be the first to embellish your truck with low drag dimples; a larger ball peen hammer should work fine.

Quick Reply: Any tips for squeezing out a few more MPG?