3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

any ST owners? Is it tolerable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any ST owners? Is it tolerable?

mymaur has got me thinking about trading in my 03 2500 4x2 which is pretty much loaded for an 03 3500 4x2 dually ST. It does have cruise control, tilt, carpet, trailer tow mirrors (not power), am/fm/cd radio, tow hooks, trailer tow group, but no trip computer, no power seat, no storage in the center arm rest, no under-middle seat storage.

For the most part I don't need luxuries, but I'm wondering for ST owners (if there even are any) if you think the lack of features is a big pain in the butt. I use all of these, but I feel like they're not something I HAVE to have.

Power mirrors seem like they would be nice, but the fact is that once they're adjusted, I don't move them much.

The one thing that concerns me that I don't consider a "convenience" but a requirement, is the adjustibility of the driver seat height. I'm about 6'2 and I don't want to be staring at the sun visor (if it even comes with one haha!)

Finally, if I trade in, do I pay full taxes? Or do I pay taxes on SALE PRICE minus TRADE IN price? I've never done a trade in before.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:02 PM

Re:any ST owners? Is it tolerable?

does the ST have power windows? something to think about. my ST dakota DID NOT have them, and the truck is too big to lean over to open the passenger side window.

as far as trade ins, you only pay taxes on the difference between the trade in value, and the price of the new truck
Old 10-08-2003, 06:52 PM

As far as taxe goes, you should only pay tax against what the actual sale price is. In other words, after all the rebates, negotiating etc what ever your bottom line figure is, thats what you pay tax against. In South Carolina, the max vehicle tax is $300. Regardless of how much the vehicle cost. Bad thing is annual personal property tax. UGH!!!

I drove an ST for a day last year and the only complaint I had about the seat was the lack of lumbar. I am also 6'2" and the seat height was fine, back and forth adjust was fine, tilt whell was great. But, no lumbar bothered me. If you have no back problems then the ST is perfect.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:03 PM

I have been driving my ST for 2 months and haven't really missed any of the luxuries. The STs are actually quite comfortable as the seats are the same style as the SLT and most come with cruise. I have crank windows and manual locks. It is a far reach across the cab to lock/unlock the passenger door but I don't think much about it. I live on a farm and all the carpet is just a dirt trap for me. My truck did come with the carpet in the floor but I would have prefered vinyl. My previous truck was an SLT and I was always thinking about all the dirt, hay, mud, "ETC." I was tracking/wearing in the cab. Now when I get in the carpet in the floor is the only concern and I have some heavy floor mats for that.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:29 PM

I think I missed the compelling reason to trade the 2500 SLT in for the ST 3500 dooley? Hopefully you won't take a bath in the deal and lose those luxuries too.

I'd only buy an ST if it was a work truck and you didn't mind it getting beat up and able to hose out if necessary. For a "personal truck", & something to cruise in, I'd settle for nothing less than an SLT.

I took a friend for a spin in an ST when I was looking; and lets just say she was underwhelmed. Put her in an SLT and she was smiles again.

I don't have the power seats, so I don't know what I'm missing there, but I do know for a fact that I'd miss those power mirrors in a heartbeat.

Then again, thats me and my payments - SLT. Get what you want, not what anyone else would get.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:35 AM

Before I bought my SLT, I test drove an ST. I just couldn't justify paying over 30K for a vehicle with no carpet, power locks, or power windows. Now if it was a work truck and was going to get beat up at a job site, that would be a different story.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:47 AM

I have the ST, it has been great, the only thing I miss is not having power windows, everything else is fine. The seats are pretty comfortable, I have taken some long rides, 8 hours + with no conplaints. The rubber floor is perfect for me, easy to clean can't hurt it, I am the only one who drives my truck so once the mirrors and seat are set they do not have to be changed. I am going to add power locks when I install an alarm, it's pretty easy you can purchase generic solanoids for less than $100 for all four, using the key is sometimes a hassle with kids.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:11 PM

I looked at an ST when I bought my '03. I liked it alot. After taking a beating on trading an ST a few years ago, the SLT sure helps at trade in time. I would have bought the ST but my dealer cut me a great deal on the SLT with all the goodies. The $2500 difference in price will sure help at trade in time. I would buy an ST for the rigth price.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:17 PM

I would look into putting power locks in also, the rest I don't really care too much about. I would probably break it anyway. I'm pretty rough on vehicles haha.

It will be a work truck but it'll also be my personal vehicle!!

And I won't be taking a bath here. I'm looking to be getting cash back (or to make both the dealer and I happy: put it towards an exhaust brake and power locks).
Old 10-09-2003, 06:34 PM
db

I was looking at trading my 03' for a duelly also - but the duelly did not have the power mirrors or the towing mirrors. I was also down grading from a laramie to a SLT .
As we were talking back and forth one of the deal makers was to take and swap the mirrors from mine (wich were power towing) to the other.
You may consider some swapping other items too.

The deal, once it was all said & done, was to much one sided (for them) so ended up walkin'.

db
Old 10-09-2003, 06:39 PM

Seems those who actually own STs are giving you good reviews.
I commute 100 miles round trip 3 times a week in my ST and I don't miss the SLT trim of previous trucks I have owned. The power locks are a functional addition and if you add those you will be in great shape.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:44 PM

Thanks all for the input. I'll be talking to my dealer in the next few days/weeks and we'll see what happens!!

BTW, Can I add MOPAR keyless entry or only aftermarket? I am very happy with the new mopar keyless entry (as opposed to on my 98 Jeep where you have to be 5 feet away!!!). I can lock my truck from inside my house which is really nice.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:34 PM

I recently helped my brother buy a 2500 ST Hemi. The only exterior cosmetic difference is the black grill and cheap wheels. My dealer sells the chrome grill for $185.00. Get a set of nice wheels and you can't distinguish it from an SLT. My brother is the kind of guy who doesn't care about power windows, seats, etc. Heck, he upgraded from a 72 F-250!! So the ST is just fine for him. Me, I like power everything. When you spend 30K on a truck, why not go a little more and get all the goodies....you'll only live once.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:18 PM

Haha with the dually, I think they have to give you the same chrome steel wheels as the SLT? Not positive though. This one also comes with the chrome grille!
Old 10-11-2003, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without knowing what you expect out of your truck it's a tough call. I've had mine for over four months now, it has almost 10k miles, and the only hassle is having to lean waaaay over to unlock the passenger door. With winter coming on I expect that heated mirors would come in handy sometimes. I worried a bit initially about having a stripped down model, but the family loves it and finds it much more comfortable on long trips than either Taurus. Maybe it's just because we're ignorant though as it's our 1st truck :^)

I chose the truck carefully as I wanted to have to only buy one and have it last. Put another way, if you were going to bet as much as these things cost on whether or not it will last 500k miles, how would you bet ? I think that the Cummins is the best bet, as is a manual tranny. I'm also guessing that Dodge can't scrimp much on the engine and drivetrain as the truck has to perform well over time, and that cost pressures will force them to cut costs on the doodads instead. Friends with other Dodge vehicles have had to replace stuff like power window motors, power door locks and such, well within warranty. They've said that it was covered by warranty, but I replied that the factory warranty only covers about 1/14 of the miles that I expect out of it, and the less crap that can break the better.

Things that I do like about the ST (lack of) options are the rubber mats, now I believe that carpet in a vehicle is a stupid idea, the black grill, and most of all the (lack of) cost, which was well under 30k. Things that I wanted aren't available, such as a slectable locker on the rear axle, locking hubs on the rear axle, and Michelin commercial M&S tires.