3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Any one else had 13 waranty claims in 5 months?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess what? Check engine light is back on again!!!!!!!!!!
Same code as always!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm sure it's not related, but have you contacted Edge? Maybe it's a programming issue? Did it have Edge on it when you got it? Did it start after you put it on? Some trucks just don't like Mods.

Isn't there a cam mod? Maybe it was done wrong?
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
That really sucks and I hate to hear it.

I am actually going to need to go for my first time because I just noticed my right real axle seal is leaking. I am right at 34k miles
I've had my RR seal replaced twice in a year...have 38000 on it now.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:30 AM

14 Months and not one issue on my '07.

Sorry to hear your truck is making lemonade....It happens (in the Forest Gump sense)!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 AM

Rear axle seals seam to be an issue with these trucks, both are leaking on mine, and I have two friends that have 07's, and thiers are leaking as well.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:25 PM

Take the edge off and see if that fix's the problem.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 PM

It started doing this before I ever put the edge on it, so I don't think that it will make any difference to remove it.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When it comes down to lemon law they'll send out a zone rep. Used modded truck will not set the odds in your favor.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 PM

I am surprised you are finding a dealer willing to work on it at all, with the Edge on their. And I can't believe they sent you money. Wow, that actually is amazing to me. Took my Ford in and they refused to work on an oil leak because I had gauges...
Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM

My '06 had a bad upper radiator hose clamp that it went in for in the first week and then a water pump around 20k miles. My check engine light comes on periodically but mine won't spit out the codes on the dash. Engine light on again and if it stays on for another day or two then I'll take it in.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by tinkerin-w-stuf
My '06 had a bad upper radiator hose clamp that it went in for in the first week and then a water pump around 20k miles. My check engine light comes on periodically but mine won't spit out the codes on the dash. Engine light on again and if it stays on for another day or two then I'll take it in.
I noticed mine has stopped giving me codes with the 3-key sequence trick. It goes through the cycle like it's going to give a code but all it says is "done". I bought a cheap code scanner at Walmart and there are genuine codes being stored, no matter what the odometer says. Mine used to work and I kind of thought that one of the recent reflahses might have turned off this ability.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:54 PM

The dealers can't deny warranty coverage just because of mods. It's against federal law. The only wasy they can deny warranty coverage is the have to PROVE that a mod caused the problem the truck is in for. The Edge box cannot make a sensor puke-out, or any of the other things he has had his truck in for. That's why they aren't giving him any grief. Now take it in for a burnt piston and see what happens! Read below (long).

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The relevant legislation here, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c):
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if —

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

Specifically, the rules and regulations adopted by the FTC to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

That being said, if you choose to modify your car, and suddenly the fancy new electronic control boxes that you added to your car make it run rough, not start when cold, or buck like a bronco, the dealer can and will charge a diagnostic fee to find out what is wrong with your car. If it turns out that your modifications are the cause of the problem, the dealer has every right not only to charge you for the diagnosis and repair, but to also void the portion of the warranty that has been compromised by the use of those aftermarket parts. Likewise, a dealer may refuse to service your car if it is adorned with aftermarket parts to the extent that its technicians cannot reasonably be expected to diagnose what is wrong with your car. As an example, all cars manufactured after 1994 are equipped with OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) ports that dealers use to read engine diagnostic codes for everything from an engine vacuum leak to a malfunctioning emissions system. If your chosen modification has compromised the dealer service center's ability to scan for these codes (aftermarket ECUs generally do not support OBDII), then there is a strong probability that the dealer service center will refuse to work on your vehicle.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 PM

However they did replace his injector pump. I still think he's been doing well that the company has stood by him. As far as I've researched, this act was set-up when Ford starting requiring using their oil and oil filters or people would lose their warranties.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Below is from another web sight and was posted by a Dodge parts person about mods to Dodge trucks:
--------------------------------------------------------

This info went out to all dealers. It applies to 5.9's and 6.7's. 5.9's don't have to worry about the DPF part of this, but the rest is the same for the 5.9L. Dealers are supposed to be on the lookout for these issues. This post is to help keep you informed...
PURPOSE:
• To advise of the inclusion of Exhaust After treatment components in order to be compliant with EPA 2010 Diesel Emission requirements.
• To highlight the new vehicle limited Warranty Coverage associated with the installation of aftermarket add-on components to a 6.7L Diesel.
• To provide cause and effect information for aftermarket add-on components to a 6.7L Diesel engine.
TIMING:
Effective immediately.
ACTION:
The increased interest in aftermarket components and performance equipment, and its subsequent installation by vehicle owners, has resulted in repair situations that may jeopardize the warranty coverage of the vehicle. A reference sheet, included with this bulletin, has been developed to help identify common 6.7L Diesel add-on components and modifications and their potential effect on factory component failures. Please ensure that all service and parts personnel have reviewed this document and attached reference sheet and refer to it if they suspect a factory component failure may have resulted from a Diesel aftermarket add-on component or modification.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
The 2007 6.7L Cummins Diesel engine package includes a number of exhaust after treatment components which are required to meet the stringent 2010 EPA NoX and Particulate matter emissions. The system includes a Cooled EGR system, a sulfur oxide catalyst, nitrogen oxide catalyst, and a Diesel Particulate Filter. Installing any aftermarket add-on components to the engine system could render these systems inoperable, or cause severe damage to the components.

Refer to Section 3, What’s Not Covered, in the Vehicle Warranty Information Booklet for complete details regarding the installation and use of aftermarket components, highlights of which are listed
below:

TO: Dealer Principal, Service Mgr., Parts Mgr., and
Warranty Claims Administrator
SUBJECT: Warranty Coverage Guidelines Associated
With Aftermarket Add-on Components to the 6.7L
Cummins Diesel Engine Ram Truck

Warranty Bulletin.

Certain changes that you make to a vehicle do not, by themselves, void the warranties described in this booklet. Examples of some of these changes are:
• Installing non-Chrysler LLC (“Chrysler”) parts, components, or equipment (…Chrysler radio or speed control)
But your warranties do not cover any part that Chrysler did not supply or is not certified for use on your vehicle. Nor do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of such parts, components, equipment, materials, or additives. Performance or racing parts are considered to be non-Chrysler parts. Repairs or adjustments caused by their use are not covered under your warranties.

Racing Not Covered Your warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by racing, nor do they cover the repair of any effects that are found as the result of participating in a racing event.
Note: This would also include the sport of Truck Pulling.
If the vehicle is believed to be abused due to the installation of add-on component parts or racing activity, all information should be documented and presented to your District Manager for review and possible vehicle component restriction. If you sell and /or install Mopar Performance parts, refer to the Mopar Performance Catalog for specific warranty coverage regarding Mopar performance parts, some excerpts of which are listed below:

No Parts Warranty.

As referenced in all Mopar Performance Catalogs, Mopar Performance parts are sold “as is” unless otherwise noted. This means that the parts sold by Mopar Performance carry no warranty whatsoever...The addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicle’s warranty. However, added performance parts (parts not originally supplied on the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle’s warranty and any failure that they may cause is also not covered by the vehicle’s warranty.
Note: For information related to the 5.9L Diesel, refer to Warranty Bulletin D-05-28
Please ensure that all affected personnel are aware of this bulletin.

WARRANTY OPERATIONS
Typical MODIFICATIONS Found On Chrysler 6.7L Diesel Vehicles

Turbo Boost Controllers
Manual or Electronic which increase the amount of turbo boost allowed by the ECM.

Turbo Intercooler Sprayer
Manual or Electronic which provide a cooling mist of water spray on to the intercooler. This increases the cooling capability for compressed air, increases air density and produces more power.
High flow custom air intake systems
Custom air intake systems allow for maximum air flow which increases power but may reduce the filtering capabilities allowing more dirt to pass through.
High flow custom exhaust systems
Custom exhaust systems allow for maximum exhaust flow reducing backpressure and increasing power.

Over sized intercoolers
Higher cooling capability for compressed air increases air density and produces more power.

Oversized (higher boost) Turbo larger turbine
Provides more air and high pressure into the combustion chamber.
High performance Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control
Module (ECM) Greatly change engine calibration and performance.

Propane Kits
Liquid Propane Gas (LPG) systems add additional fuel to the combustion chamber which increases power.

Nitrous Oxide Kits
Nitrous Oxide (NO) systems add additional oxygen to the combustion chamber which increases power.
Oversized fuel injectors/fuel rails and regulators
Allowing for more fuel to be delivered into the combustion chambers increases power.

Diesel performance enhancing equipment.
This equipment causes the engine to make more power by increasing the amount of fuel and air available to the engine.

Typical FAILURES Caused By Aftermarket Modifications:
Burnt pistons Pistons, rings, and lands showing signs of overheating and burning. In many cases the pistons may be burnt down the side of the piston skirt. In Diesel engines this can be caused by performance enhancing devices adding more fuel to the engine resulting in much hotter combustion temperatures.

Burnt valves.
See Burnt Pistons Exhaust/Catalytic Converter Melt downs (melted catalyst bricks)/

Cracked manifolds See Burnt Pistons. Very high exhaust temperatures due to very rich fuel mix levels and unburned fuel entering the exhaust system.
Exhaust/Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) cracked

See Oversized fuel injectors/fuel rails and regulators. Very high soot generation due to very rich fuel mix levels and excessive unburned fuel entering the exhaust system.

Catalyst/Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) straight pipes
An exhaust pipe installed in place of the catalytic converters and the DPF. This causes the ECU to set codes and causes the system to be out of compliance for emissions.

Burnt or Blown fuel injectors
See Burnt Pistons. Fuel injector body cracks can result in raw fuel leaking into the crankcase diluting the oil.
Spun Rod, Main Bearings and Blown Head Gaskets
See Burnt Pistons. Also, caused by higher than acceptable turbo boost pressures; rods, mains and head gaskets can not handle the extreme pressure put on them by the increased power.

Diesel fuel injection pump.
Look for seizure or cracks in the pump.
Repeated overheating

All of the above.
Transmission, Clutch, Driveshaft or Axle Damage Diesel power enhancing devices can put excessive stress on transmission, clutch, driveshaft and/or axle components resulting in premature failure.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had nothing but issues with my 07 its been down since aug 07 going to court over it. It's got about 6 pages of warranty work. the only mod was a bullydog outlook monitor and they are trying to blame it. this is one reason why i dont do engine mods. the other is that it does hurt the injectors went thru 3 sets on the 03 before the turbo went and put the 12v in

Quick Reply: Any one else had 13 waranty claims in 5 months?