3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Any Dodge Techs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Dodge Techs?

I bought a bare bones 06 2500, 6 speed. It does not have the overhead console, no MGP, compass, etc.

I was wondering if any of you would know whether the wiring bundle for the overhead would have been installed anyway. ie can I go to a wrecking yard and get the overhead and just plug it in? If not what would I need to do in order to hook one up.

By the way the reason I bought this truck was the PRICE 25k for a brand new quad cab truck was too much to pass up. I traded my 03 Hemi and LOVE the Cummins.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Whalecap
Old 08-25-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Whalecap
I bought a bare bones 06 2500, 6 speed. It does not have the overhead console, no MGP, compass, etc.

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it. The MPG calculator is usually off by ±3 mpg anyway. I guess the temp indicator is nice, but who needs a compass? Spend your money on a GPS system instead if you think you're going to get lost.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwooden
IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it. The MPG calculator is usually off by ±3 mpg anyway. I guess the temp indicator is nice, but who needs a compass? Spend your money on a GPS system instead if you think you're going to get lost.
What he said. They are usually off anyhow. Spend your money on a engine upgrade, you'll get more for your dollar.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Lost?

Since I've spent many hours flying 747's to Asia the compass or a GPS (Well maybe sometimes isn't really too necessary however my 03 Dodge had the overhead readout and I miss it. I've got access to a wreck that has it and just wondered about what else it would need to make it work.

Thanks for the replies...

Whalecap
Old 08-25-2006, 09:31 PM

Man, I guess I got lucky. Until I changed to taller tires, my overhead was always within 1/2 mpg of hand calculation. Need to get the speedo recalibrated...
Old 08-26-2006, 08:57 AM

as far as i know they are not wired. It has a different ecm or something if I remember right, and are not compatable with ones not coming with it. This was discussed a few months back and if you do a search I'll bet you find it try " overhead wiring " in the search. I believe jbody responded with a correct answer.
Just a thought, since your a pilot, you could go to the westach website and order the " navigator kit " and line them gauges up along the headliner behind the rearview mirror all the way across. You could be the first to have a dodge ram with a altimeter for them big hills
Old 08-26-2006, 01:26 PM

I think the funny part is a 747 Pilot is worried about saving pennies! Just busting your chops as I am fixing the planes your flying!

LOL,

Joe
Old 08-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Skyharborcowboy...
I work at swa how bout you?
I see you live in stanfield, I'm in Maricopa...
Old 08-26-2006, 02:22 PM

I work for CO at Terminal 2. I have a few friends that work at SWA. One is a manager (Joe G.) I think and about 3 others are Mechanics.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Guys

Thanks for the info I'll do the search.

As for being a whale driver and not getting the options I'll tell you why and see if you agree.

OK my TRUCK is always "simple". The rest of the toys tend to be complicated but the TRUCK is not supposed to be.

That being said I was fairly happy with my 36k miles 03 Hemi quad cab with the various options I didn't care about.

In late May I'm reading the auto adds for the area and TEAM DODGE has a brand new 06 2WD, Quad cab with very "cheap 17" wheels, Diesel with a price of 25,900. I thought it can't be new.

So I drove over in my 03 and asked about the deal. The guy tells me its new with 6 miles on the odometer, but pretty stripped. Hmmmm....

So I asked to see it. It had VERY minimum equipment. Which was a Radio, AC, PS, PB, Cummins 325 HP. 6 speed, 373 read, 11.5 rear axle, and a receiver hitch. NO over head computer, no power windows, no power door locks.

So I asked how much for my very dirty 03 Quad Cab? That had to go to the sales manager. We talked, I drove the Diesel, boss drove the 03. After SEVERAL proposals I ended up with a 15.1K trade against 25.9K diesel with 6 miles on it. I asked why he was selling this truck for, what I thought, a very good price.

He said its off floor plan, there is a REBATE, and we want it sold. I was very suspicious so I asked him what his "fees" were on the deal. ie "out the door". He told me the typical stuff, ie tax, title, and some others. I said give me the actual number as it will be cash and the HEMI is "clear".

Anyway it turned out to be right at 1200 in sales tax and "stuff". So for 12,000 I got rid of the HEMI and got my Diesel with a 6 speed and 6 miles...

I took it. I put on an alarm with turbo timer and power door locks. I LOVE the truck because it is SIMPLE. Although I would like the overhead as I got used to it with the 03.

Also have any of you looked at the HEMI and how hard it would be to change the 16 spark plugs. THAT was the real reason The Diesel tows my race car trailer and boat about 3 times better than the gas truck that needed plugs
Don't know if the deal actually was as good and I thought but I AM happy with it. FWIW

Whalecap
Old 08-28-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Whalecap
Although I would like the overhead as I got used to it with the 03.

Shoulda' taken the overhead outta the '03 before you traded it

I didn't pay too much more than that ($28.5k, no dealer fees) for mine in Oct. of '03, new.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 AM

I don't know about retro fitting the over head but I do know that these work very well and you can use them in any vehicle. I'm just waiting to see them come out with one that you can program the ecm with. Look on e-bay for the older model since you seem like a frugal type. The original has all the features just a little bit bigger and around $60 cheaper. http://www.scangauge.com/
Old 08-29-2006, 08:22 AM

Thanks guys

Wrong color on the 03 plus I don't think they'd give me the same trade on the HEMI if it were missing.

The ScangaugeII looks like a really good way to go. Thanks for the heads up.

Whalecap
Old 09-02-2006, 03:04 PM

Quantum610

Thanks for the heads up on the ScangaugeII.

Much better than the overhead with many parameters to chose from. Initially its way off on mileage but its fully adjustable so I need to input fuel consumed a couple of times to get it to "learn".

Regards,

Whalecap
Old 09-03-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Incase you didn't notice, incompatable with 2004.4 and 05 Dodge Diesel trucks, wonder if the 06's are also incompatable and just not listed yet.

Quick Reply: Any Dodge Techs?