3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

another hitch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another b&w hitch question

i am looking at an b&w turnover hitch and emailed a business about it and his site says if you have a short bed to get a Colibert slider hitch it works with b&w turnover anyone heard of this? also i see the 5er companion by b&w has 3 adjustments front to back and up and down wouldnt this be like a slider type hitch to give you more room front to back? never had a gn or a fifth wheel any info would be great.
i would like to stay with one company of possible, b&w seems to be what guys recommend!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 PM

email just received from where i was going to buy hitch from
"The Companion is not meant for short bed trucks unless you have an extended pin box or 5th Airborne Sidewinder or some other accommodation. The Companion has some adjustment but not enough."

i thought some of you guys with a mega cab had the 5th companion
Old 04-17-2008, 03:29 PM

I'd imagine if the have an extended pin box this set-up would work. Hopefully someone that owns one of these set-ups will let you know how they make it work...
Old 04-17-2008, 03:34 PM

Are you trying to get a 5er or just want the gooseneck ball? The slider on a 5er lets you slide the pin back when in a tight spot and needing to turn sharp if the front of the trailer is really wide and would hit the cab corner. Puts all of the hitch weight way in the rear where you normally wouldn't go down the road with it. Once straightened out, you move the pin forward. That's the way I understand it anyway. I only have the turnover ball mounted in my shortbox and pull a gooseneck horse trailer.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:46 PM

trying to get best of both worlds a clean bed would be sweet, soon i will have a 5er but my buddy has goosenecks which i can borrow to pull tractors and stuff , just turnign the ball over seems great, or sliding in the b&w companion for a 5th, but short box seems to be a concern when you ask dealers about getting one
just trying to understand ive never touched a 5er ever, so i understand it the companion will work unless turning sharp ,or its a really wide trailer in front right.
what do you have snoyes
Old 04-18-2008, 05:12 PM

You might have got more responses to this if you posted it in the Towing and Hauling RV topic. Mine is a quad cab, maybe with your's being a Mega Cab, there's a difference in bed length. I have a standard B&W turnover ball and have no problems with my rounded nose gooseneck horse trailer. I watch the cab corners when turning sharp in parking lots. Very happy with it and don't wish I had the slider (not for my application anyway). Installed myself in about 2hours time. Most dealers will install them for $100. Since I had to buy the 4" hole saw for about $40, I probably would have better off paying for the installer to do it but I was pinchin pennies at the time.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:16 PM

The Pull-Rite SuperGlide has an optional under-the-bed mounting kit. You can remove the hitch and have a clean bed like the B&W.

The advantage is that it is an automatic slider so you don't have to remember to get out and slide the hitch. It is a little pricey though.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:53 PM

I had a B&W with 5th wheel companion in my 03 quad cab short box. I adjusted it to give max front to back clearance. Knocked out the rear window anyway so don't try it. Changed it out to a Superglide which leaves the bed flat and usable when not towing. FYI
Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 PM

I need to know if i can drill the frame of 2006 megacab for a 5th wheel hitch . I asked two hitch companys today if they would install my hitch and said only with a no drill kit . Something to due with the metal.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Not sure, but I think it has more to do with liability and modifications to the frame. Especially in a collision, if there are injuries, it could be attributed to mods that made the truck behave structurally different than what it was tested or designed for. If you trade in your vehicle, (at least in some states), there is a form you have to sign saying you have not made any mods to the frame.