3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Another bad dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 06:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I had a alinement done locally that was to factory specs. Wear on the front was still not right IMO, so went by to talk about it. Tech put it on the rack and set it up with different caster. Also went ahead and tweeked the gearbox. Cost? $29.00 and a cup of coffee from across the street.

Ed
Old 12-11-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're paying to have the alignment done by a shop that knows what they're doing, as opposed to the dealership (yay...). If I have to go back again about this issue I'll make more noise. I'd love to see this guy fired (especially after admitting that he in $70,000 of debt from buying 3 of these trucks), but after all my dealings with this dealership I know they have this entitlement attitude. They feel people are rquired to buy vehicles from them and have them serviced there. Any wonder why people buy foreign cars?

At any rate, next time I go back there I'll make more noise.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took my 95 Stratus back to the dealer at 5000 miles when it had blown a main crankshaft seal. Got it back and the steering wheel was off almost a quarter turn. Fought with them for three weeks. Traded the car with 5040 miles on it on a Toyota Tacoma. That was the second mistake I made that year. Took a $5000 loss to get rid of that piece of crap after it had been in the shop five times in four months.
Bought this 99 3500 in January of 99 with 5.6 miles on it and it has not been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot. Took it to a front end shop in Petersburg when I put the third set of tires on it. Steering wheel was just off enough to annoy me. Charged me $40 and had the truck in the shop about three hours. It steers better now than it did new and the steering wheel is dead on center.
That's the problem with these hybrid trucks and whether you agree or disagree, there are very few dealers that know how to work on them correctly. I know, I've been driving them since they first came out in 89. Had an 89, a 92, a 95, and my current 99. In the early years, it was even worse cause Dodge didn't know anything about them and Cummins would not work on the smaller trucks.
Took my 99 out to Scheid in Terre Haute when I burnt up number six piston and they really turned it on for me out there. It has almost 400 HP and a little over 900 Ft/lbs of torque now. That was not warranty work though, it was all elective or corrective as this case would be. Forest City Diesel in St James, Mo. (his ad appears at the top of the page) is also very good at working on them but unfortunately, they can't do warranty work either.

I agree with what was stated earlier, go to the show room when it is full of customers and talk real loud like I do and you will get attention. It is unfortunate that you have to do this but that is the way it is at a lot of places. The most trouble free cars I ever drove in my life were, I'm ashamed to say it, Honda's. I drove them for about eight years and never had a problem with the cars or the dealers. Some I drove had well over 150000 miles on them. THe dealer would bend over backwards to help you out. And people wonder why you see so many Japanese vehicles on the road as well as other foreign makes. The one even offers a 10 year 100000 mile warranty. How many American manufacturers do you see offer that? Don't get me wrong, I quit buying overseas cars a long time ago and went back to all American, or as American as you can get with all the places they are built nowadays anyway. It must be easy to get a Five Star rating anymore and some of the five star places I've seen, I wouldn't take my wheelbarrow to.

Guess that's enough for now, I'm sure someone is seeing red already but hey, the truth hurts sometimes.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
Guess that's enough for now, I'm sure someone is seeing red already but hey, the truth hurts sometimes.
All sounded good to me. My other truck is a Lexus RX300 (Toyota). 45K miles not so much as a call to the dealer for service. But its a gasser!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took my truck to the place the dealer said knows how to do alignments. This shop actually did it right, quickly, and was very polite to me, and they're sending the bill to the dealer. I find it pretty sad that this independent shop was able to do the job much faster, better, and more politely than the dealership. Guess who doesn't get to service my truck anymore...