3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

another air conditioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another air conditioning problem

On my 06 dodge diesel this is the third summer I have owned it and its the third time the ac is out, last two times I took it to two different shops, 900.00 once, 1200.00 the second time, compressor once, compressor and orifice, the second time still went out in a year . Im not real impressed with the quality of work I can get done locally. My dad has charging and recovery unit that he picked up somewhere. we recharged it because the gas was low but after doing that the pressure was running up around 400 PSI. We shut it down and drained most of the gas out so I didnt ruin the pump. I think I need a new orifice or whatever its called and Im trying Im trying to figure out what other parts I need to change and if there is any tricks that my local mecanics dont know to get this thing to work reliably. I tried search and didnt see what I needed. thanks for any advice.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM

7th compressor on mine blend door done and finally found out the orfice tube came apart went to dryer and that was tearing up the compressors finally have cold air i think the thing was jacked up the day i got it , cant wait to trade this thing off
Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 AM

idacal,

I have an 06 and I have had two compressor clutches burn up on mine. When I checked the pressures, it was a little too high. I think it caused a lot of strain on the clutch. Anyway, this last time I replaced the compressor myself with a brand new unit(Halla). These supposedly are the exact unit that comes on the vehicle(even though they are imported). I purchased it through AC parts warehouse in Rockwall Tx. I paid around 350 or so with a new dryer, o-ring kit and PAG oil(included shipping next day).

I also went to the dealer and purchased the new AC line that holds the orifice tube. You want to get the one for a 2007 or newer. I can't remember the part# off the top of my head but I found it here somewhere. Maybe someone can post the part# again. It has a larger orifice tube and really helps bring the high side pressure down. It was fairly cheap too. I think around $25. After charging mine, I was reading around 225 lbs on the high side and 28 lbs on the low side. It cools pretty good now. I don't think it's perfect but it's definitely better than it ever has been before.

HTH.

David