3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Annoying brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying brake squeak

It was time to do the brakes on the front, so I put on a set of Wagner Thermquiet pads. I had the rotors turned as well. The squeaking started. I put some Bendix brake spray on the back of the pads and that lasted about a 100 miles and it started squeaking again. So I went back and exchanged for the Bendix pads and I replaced the clips as well. And they still squeak the same way, when I lightly apply the brakes the squeaking starts.
Anyone have any ideas??
Old 08-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always used silicone on the back of the pads. Let it set for about 20 minutes and then install them. This has worked well for me over the years, I use it if the pads have anti squeal shims or not.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 PM

Welcome to the SQUEAK ZONE. I put on 2 pair of the THERMAL QUIET pads and have returned them because THEY SQUEAK
I now have OEM pads and THEY SQUEAK
I've got the dealer working on them now. They turned the rotors and now they SQUEAK and CLUNK ( I believe they didn't turn the rotors straight) I go back next week and have their EXPERT look at them. I'll bet it's the rotors and calipers that are the culprit. When they finally get it fixed I'll see about getting my money back for the turning of the rotors
Old 08-18-2004, 08:08 PM

The squeaking is due to a vibration problem. Having your rotors turned is truing them to the lathe that the shop used to turn the rotors on. I knew of one guy that used duct tape on the back of the pads to quiet them down. I have had good luck using "Performance Friction" carbon metallic pads. Wagner pads were the worst for me (i was in the brake biz for about 11 years) and I wouldn't sell them unless someone asked for them. IMHO "Performance Friction" or "Raybestos" are good pads but even at that theres no guarantee. Try some silicone (it lasts for a little while) on the back of the pads and clean all dust and crap off of the calipers, make sure you didn't get any grease or dirt on the rotors and replace the clips or hardware if you can. Hopefully it will cure that squeak, I know it can be frustrating. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2004, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I dont know about silicone on or even near the brakes. Seems like a band aid approach for a real problem with the design. I will check with the dealer but I am not real hopeful with them. I know when I had the OEM pads in that they were very soft and left a lot of brake dust.
I understand it is a vibration issuem, so I wonder if it how the caliper grips the back of the pads.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:59 AM

The silicone is sold by Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos etc. It is specifically for brake pads. You put it on the back side of the pad. The pads are held by clips, some are riveted to the steel pad backing and clip to the caliper and piston others are just loose and clip to the pad. Squealing is probably the number one complaint. You think yours are bad, you should here a big rig that has air disc brakes that squeal, very loud. The silicone will help but like you said is a bandaid and in my experience only lasts for a couple thousand miles at most. I just did a brake job on my wifes Tahoe and I thoroughly cleaned the sliding surfaces and any contact surfaces on the caliper. I also cleaned the rotors with brake clean and made sure I didn't touch the pad or rotor surface when installing. Then put the tires on and torqued them down in steps of about 30ft.lbs. Sounds tedious but I ain't got no squeaks.
E
Old 08-19-2004, 12:46 PM

I recently put on some very high metallic content pads and shoes on my'98 on advice from my cousin (a DC tech). I couldn't tell you the name right now, but it doesn't matter anyway. Even though the drums and rotors were turned, the brakes squeak slightly since they were installed. I spoke to my cousin about it and he said these pads and shoes will squeak occasionally due to their high metal content and there's no way to get around it. I haven't investigated further, or done anything about it since as I figure I'll live with the occasional squeak to have the stopping power of these brakes. Far better than factory or cheaper pads and shoes have ever been.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 PM

Just a thought, has anyone tried ceramic pads? I am not sure if they are even made for a 2003.