3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Amp Research Power Step

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp Research Power Step

Hi - I'm the proud owner of a new 05 2500 CTD - 1760 miles as of tonight. Just as I feared, hanging around this site has already given me the bug - I'll be picking up my H2 wheels/tires tomorrow. That being said, my lovely girlfriend informs me that I will never see her in a short skirt again until I install some running boards. I, personally, don't like the look of them. What are your opinions on the Amp Research Power Steps? They're pricey, to be sure, but I like the look and I like the amount of step they'll provide. How hard was the installation? Have they died on anyone? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:13 PM

Alright - no takers I guess. I'll just take a leap of faith and try it out. I'll post pictures of the install if anyone is interested.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:37 PM

I'm interested in those pic's and your opinion. I've got 295's on an otherwise stock truck. Not even a leveling kit. You'd think otherwise from all the whiners that ride in it. I may just put one on the passenger side
Old 03-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Awww come on... You are supposed to HELP the lady in. No steps or boards on my 95 and the wife rides in that . Now she's telling me my 03 needs bigger tires.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:05 PM

Yeah gatf4 ... you should really take the plunge and mod it out a little

Checkmate - I was busy calling her a wuss when I tried to jump in wearing a suit. That foot didn't really taste very good. I think I'll call AMP Research to see if I can get a copy of the installation instructions before I shell out $1200 ... I'm not a huge fan of doing major surgery (ie drilling) on my shiny new truck. Maybe gatf4 and I can start a support group to get over that fear ...
Old 03-09-2005, 02:03 PM

I got the power step on mine and like them, the dealer put mine on but they go on easyer then regular running boards.I would get them again and have not had any problem with them yet. They drop down low and make it easy to get in, maybe even in a short skirt.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:24 PM

I just ordered a set last week and there on a 6-8 week national back order. The salesmen said it should take anywhere from 4-6 hours to install. As far as butchering up the truck, the dash has to come apart, there’s a few wires to splice, and you have to shoot 4 rivets. Heres where i bought mine from, http://www.electricstep.com/eshop/pc...p?idCategory=3 they had the lowest price and the guy there was very informative, there’s also install instructions you can look at on there website. I'll let you know what I think of them in a few weeks.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:47 PM

Fantastic! Thank you sir. I'll be very interested to hear how it goes and possibly see some pictures.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:13 PM

I've got the steps and really like them. They give a much lower step hight than nerf bars and they leave the truck with a very clean look. I get tons of complements on them.

Bryan
Old 03-09-2005, 11:02 PM

I showed my wife that link. That was a mistake (price related "Have you lost your mind?" look). I guess I'll just keep a milk crate in the back.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by gatf4
I showed my wife that link. That was a mistake (price related "Have you lost your mind?" look). I guess I'll just keep a milk crate in the back.
Yeah, it's interesting how when you're dealing with a wife you shouldn't be spending any money, but when it's a girlfriend .... that's a whole different story.

Hmmm ... I should go by some more motorcycles soon ... maybe an old Alfa too.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:15 AM

The 1st issue of Diesel Power showcases a Dodge truck. The Amp Research step is on the truck.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 PM

I have them on mine. Bought them through the dealer and installed them myself. The parts guy said they charge 3 hours for installation so I figured 4-6 for myself having never seen them. I had them in in 3.5 and that was messing with the first bracket for 45 min. (slow learning curve) and another 45 min to re-route the harness when I put it in backwards. Getting to the wires behind the instrument cluster was difficult with my gauges sitting there and the instructions weren't really clear on witch of the three groups of wires back there was the right one, but I think I could do it in about 2 hours now. These were definately worth the money. If you can't find them through a dealer some aftermarket outlets like Stylin' Concepts and Performance Center are selling them for much less under the Bestop name (Jeep tops).
Old 10-04-2006, 03:01 PM

I know this is an old thread, but are you guys still happy with you AMP steps? Any issues pop up over that past year? I need to get steps on my truck before a burn a hole in my seat from sliding in and out all the time. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I know this is an old thread, but are you guys still happy with you AMP steps? Any issues pop up over that past year? I need to get steps on my truck before a burn a hole in my seat from sliding in and out all the time. Thanks!
Im kinda interested too(not the price though!)

But for now ill keep grabbin the gf's butt helping her get in

Quick Reply: Amp Research Power Step