3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Alternator Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Issues

Truck is a 2007 6.7 , all stock.

A year ago the alt went. All the lights on the dash went crazy and barely got it home before it shut down. Changed alt. Everything was fine, then the check gauges light came on. Changed batteries. All good.

About two weeks ago check gauges came on again. Thought it was loose cables. No. Voltage gauge goes down. Need to charge batteries. Take 1 year old alt off and have tested. It's bad. Diodes I think. Got a new alt. Not charging now. Get that alt tested, fine. Get batteries tested, fine.

Start to prod. There is no voltage coming from alt. Just battery voltage registers.

Read it might be ECM, but I don't have money to change it, so I am hoping it's something else but haven't found it yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you have a suggestion, please give a description on what to do. I can do most any thing, but may not know the procedure.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There used to be a separate voltage regulator that controlled the alternator. The it was moved in to the alternator, and created the one wire alternator. Then the ECU controlled the alternator, in an effort to increase fuel mileage. Now when the part of the board that controls the alternator goes bad, you have to buy a whole new ECU - which is sometimes near impossible.

LS motors are the same way - meaning that the ECU controls the alternator. But it's fairly easy to convert them to standard us, with no ECU interaction. I seem to recall reading about people doing the same thing to the Dodge part, because of your current problem.

If you do a google search on retrofitting a Dodge alternator, you might be able to find that information.