3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Is all diesel fuel the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FMB
I looked all over the Cummins site and only found a mention of Copper with the use of Biodiesel. Do you have a source of your "2 or better" and can you post it please?
Natural rubber, butyl rubber and some types of nitrile rubber (depending on chemical composition, construction and application) may be particularly susceptible to degradation. Also, copper, bronze, brass, tin, lead and zinc can cause deposit formations. The use of these materials and coatings must be avoided for fuel tanks and fuel lines. Fuel fittings and connectors are acceptable due to the small surface area in contact with the fuel.
Will try to find a new place for copper info being Cummins has removed that info page online. Thou I do recall seeing it listed in a 2nd Dodge owners manual for a guy who had the VP/VE pump.

This is not the best place but it does show the copper limits for Cummins.
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
Old 05-10-2009, 10:46 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by DBLR
Will try to find a new place for copper info being Cummins has removed that info page online. Thou I do recall seeing it listed in a 2nd Dodge owners manual for a guy who had the VP/VE pump.
Good luck finding something. I received an email Friday from powermaster@cummins.com who responded to my ??? about their specs and Chevron specs and they stated "Copper Strip Corrosion not to exceed Number 3 rating after 3 hours at 50*C [122*F]".

I would be happy to share (forward) the email.

It seems by Cummins' email, Chevron Diesel is just dandy.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FMB,

I wonder why Cummins has now changed it being the link I used above shows that Cummins at time of that web page was made wanted the copper strip test to be rated 2 or better just like Dodge did in the 2nd gen owners manual. Maybe Chevron greased there palm with some green backs.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by DBLR
Maybe Chevron greased there palm with some green backs.
Not likely.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FMB
Not likely.
ditto...

I would like to add or suggest, that as well as finding a station that has a high turn over rate of fuel...it is just as important to find a station that CHANGES THE FUEL FILTERS pre entry to your tank.

I have a truck stop station that does high volume fuel...problem was that when I asked the attendent who refered me to the manager...a simple question, "SO I know you do a lot of volume in diesel fuel, but when do you change your pump filter" they BOTH HAD NO CLUE....

I have seen filters that have been dated when they are put on...and they say stuff like 01/2001....

needless to say..now that station is on top of changing their filters, they took my advice and change it based upon gallons pumped per filter.

NCA

PS..their response was actually, You know...I dont know, but your not the first person to ask that...I will look into it....lol
Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem around here is that you don't know what you're getting. I've seen ONE station that posts the cetane rating, a Mobile, and ALL of them have a sticker that says This Fuel May Contain Biodiesel. It gives a percent range. How useful, thanks.