3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Is all diesel fuel the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is all diesel fuel the same?

Trying to save some money here and there ant diesel by my house range from 2.35-2.18 a gallon and i want to know if all diesel fuel is the same. Im just so used to gasoline and all the different brands and additives. I know i will never run discount gas like Arco also know as BP on the east cost due to gumming up motor with deposits etc.

I just dont want to gum up the cummins with crap fuel but the only additive i know they add to diesel fuel is something in the winter to help cold starts. So other than that I assume that all diesel is the same.

-Chris
Old 05-02-2009, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Diesel is not all the same Sunoco sells a Premium diesel at some of its stations. You pay more for it. But you can feel the extra power and get better MPG. Even cummins put out a statement about CTD runing better on Premium Diesel
Old 05-02-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the majority of the diesel is the same, an example in Albuquerque new mexico 90% of all fuel comes in on a pipeline from Houston Texas, each dealer pulls his fuel from the same tank and ad's his additive to make it chevron or phillips 66 etc. when ulsd came out the feds wanted to have the refinery's add the lube to the diesel fuel to get a fixed mix. the lube was sticking to the pipe and when they would run jet fuel through the pipe it would contaminate the jet fuel. the fed's had to change the rules to have the distributor add the lube, i will make a guess that the alb. tank yard on south Broadway adds the lube as it enters the storage tanks and as each company fills his tanker truck they have an option to add something else. i live 200 miles south of Albuquerque and have my own tanks i use a large distributor and when i get ready for fuel they call around and which ever refinery is the cheapest that morning is where it comes from i get a full tanker load at a time and is delivered direct from refinery to me i get to see the ticket's where it comes from. not much bio or premium diesel in our state , in fact i have never seen any
Old 05-02-2009, 08:11 AM

I know a few guys that run tank truck it all comes from the same tanks then they add additives same for gas and fuel oil
Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 AM

My motors runs differently on different brands of diesel, as well as different days from the same station, sometimes I get a "ping" sometimes not. Cetane number indicates the quality of diesel fuel. Generally, diesel engines run well with a CN from 40 to 55. Diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 38-42 for regular diesel, and 42-45 for premium. Premium diesel may have additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.

There have been numerous threads on what is the best brand for the day, I'm not sure what the best is today, typically Hess has a decent diesel. Irvine has gone downhill.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 AM

More importantly, try to always buy from a place that sells large volumes so you know you're getting fresh diesel (Flying J, etc.)

I've seen some smaller places selling diesel where I doubt they get 2 deliveries of diesel a year.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Everything you wanted to know about Diesel but were afraid to ask

A good read for those who are genuinly (sp) interested in the Techy side of Diesel Fuel is the 116 page .pdf document titled "Diesel Fuels Technical Review", a Chevron document. It is full of good info and even has pics of the stick spray patterns and stick plungers (good vs bad).

Includes info on;
  • CHEMISTRY OF DIESEL FUEL INSTABILITY
  • Thermal Expansion
  • BIODIESEL FUEL
  • Component Fatty Acids of Some Vegetable and Seed Oils and Fats, and Some Animal Fats
  • ISSUES REGARDING THE USE OF BIODIESEL
  • Diesel Fuel and Biodiesel Fuel
  • Specifications and Test Methods
  • PREMIUM DIESEL
  • (enough of a list, if you get this far, go get the document)
Old 05-02-2009, 12:02 PM

Hmmm i never knew they added extra additives to diesel like they do with gas. Well i have a variety of options up by me Pilot truck stop i have bio around here and all the big chains cheveron shell etc. I guess i need to find out who has the best additives and price i guess. Is there a website or a thread that discusses what companys add what additives to there fuel?

I add 12 ounces of PS to every tank to combat the crappy ULSD we have to put in our trucks.

Premium diesel? Hmm I wonder if u can get that in CA
Thanks for the input guys keep it coming
Old 05-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Utah diesel.

For whatever reason,Utah's diesel seemed to foam up more than our Ca stuff. I just got back from southern Utah a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular scenery,polite residents and bookoo diesel everywhere! Lot's of wide open spaces.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LeonT
More importantly, try to always buy from a place that sells large volumes so you know you're getting fresh diesel (Flying J, etc.)

I've seen some smaller places selling diesel where I doubt they get 2 deliveries of diesel a year.
This is very true. I will drive about 10 miles out of my way to go the my nearest Flying J. I know the diesel is fresh and the truck seems to like it the best. I also have a few stations that turn over the diesel very slowly. Maybe a load every 2-3 months. I avoid them unless the price is way cheaper and that has only happened one time in the last 3 years!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I live where we had Chevron stations I stopped using their fuel when I found out there diesel has the lowest Copper Corrosion rating of 3 where Dodge/Cummins want it to be 2 or better thus it does not meet Cummins fuel spec's.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by DBLR
When I live where we had Chevron stations I stopped using their fuel when I found out there diesel has the lowest Copper Corrosion rating of 3 where Dodge/Cummins want it to be 2 or better thus it does not meet Cummins fuel spec's.
I looked all over the Cummins site and only found a mention of Copper with the use of Biodiesel. Do you have a source of your "2 or better" and can you post it please?
Natural rubber, butyl rubber and some types of nitrile rubber (depending on chemical composition, construction and application) may be particularly susceptible to degradation. Also, copper, bronze, brass, tin, lead and zinc can cause deposit formations. The use of these materials and coatings must be avoided for fuel tanks and fuel lines. Fuel fittings and connectors are acceptable due to the small surface area in contact with the fuel.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 PM

I add 12 ounces of PS to every tank to combat the crappy ULSD we have to put in our trucks.

You can quit buying PS if you run Biodiesel in your truck. No additive is near as good as Biodiesel. It is the same price as other diesel here. Good luck
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM

Whats PS?? Newbie here!!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 AM

Location: Columbia in the Communist State of Chicago (Illinois)
power service diesel additive.
http://www.powerservice.com/

Quick Reply: Is all diesel fuel the same?