3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Airdam on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Airdam on or off?

Since my airdam was damage a while back from being loaded on a rollback wrecker I decided today to remove it. Last night on ebay I saw a 3rd gen 2wd without the airdam and it didn't look bad. So I whipped out the 10mm socket and went to work. Now I can slide up under the truck without having to suck my chest in.
So anyone else done this and any ill effects, mainly cooling?

MikeyB
Old 10-16-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I have a 2nd gen but I folded up the front air dam. Now when I go off road, mud doesnt get caked to the radiator, intercooler, and condenser. I dont know if the 3rd gens are a hard plastic or a softer rubber like mine. I havent noticed any different temps or other ill effects.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Banned

I have a 2nd gen and when I removed my OEM bumper and air dam and put my Ranchand bumper on I lost 1 MPG, the Ranchand is heavier but I contribute the MPG loss to the lack of an air dam, So I guess what I am saying is that if off road is your forta than it will be good but if its a highway or towing truck like mine than the airdam neeeds to stay on, I personally feel the added deer proctetor of the Ranchand is worth it to me.

Cheers, Kevin
Old 10-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Kevin,
Interesting that you lost about 1mpg when replacing the bumper/airdam. Hard to believe that little airdam helps the aerodynamics of the truck that much, but anything is possible. When my dad replaced the front bumper with a Road Armor on his Super Duty 4x4 dually he didn't see a change in fuel economy.

MikeyB
Old 10-16-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a 4x4 definitely looks better without it. I doubt on 4x4 with any lift it has any real affect on fuel economy. I guess it could protect the lower part of the coolers. If I had a front skid plate I would remove mine.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:21 PM
J&L

MikeyB
the air dam is a towing aid. Its function is to create low pressure under the engine for proper air flow through the radiator and out the bottom in the engine compartment at highway speeds when towing heavy.Probably not a big deal for hotroders/off roaders.....JIM
Old 10-16-2005, 08:42 PM

Sorry for being stupid here, the air dam is that piece of plastic that fits underneath the front bumper correct.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
Sorry for being stupid here, the air dam is that piece of plastic that fits underneath the front bumper correct.
That is correct.

MikeyB
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 AM

took mine off a couple weeks ago. looks better without it, but I might put it back on for winter time to keep road spray from spraying the underneath of the engine department. I did not notice any differance without it. Looks better without it though.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was actually hoping to extend the airdam. It does help cooling, but it also helps aerodynamics quite a bit. Air will take the path of least resistance.

I have a 4x4, and with the higher ride height (and my levelled front end), I find that the air dam needs to be even bigger. Extending the air dam creates a high pressure area in front of it, which helps to "steer" air around the sides of the truck (and also pushes it lower underneath) instead of hitting the axles and all that stuff underneath the truck.

Those of you who understand aerodynamics, stagnation points and pressure zones, etc can see how this would be the case.

H
Old 10-17-2005, 09:40 AM

mxdiesel,
I have to agree. The trucks do look better without the airdam. Has more of a streamline nose and appears less chunky.
Since mine is a low riding 2wd don't know how much effect will have on the fuel economy. Plus, will be doing some offroading this weekend at the deer lease and need all the clearance I can get.

MikeyB
Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 PM

like J&l said it helps remove hot underhood air when towing heavy by causing a low pressure area behind it.
Jim O
Old 10-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Banned

Somebody post a pic of what it looks like without. Mine is cracked and the tires are rubbing it slightly, I just thought it would look crappy if I took it off.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:26 AM

Here's a pic of a truck on ebay without the airdam. Apparently this one was ripped off since the mounting studs are still on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...81354169QQrdZ1

MikeyB
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned

Hmmm... anybody have a pic of a sport model with the air dam removed?

Quick Reply: Airdam on or off?