3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Air conditioning question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air conditioning question

My problem is the transmission dipstick/ filler tube was contacting the low side A/C aluminum line going into the evaporator and rubbed a small pin hole in it. Is there any way to repair this or do I have to have the whole line replaced.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:26 PM
JKM

I doubt you will find a way to fix it, you could always try some JB weld if it's a small hole , but there is no guarantee it will stick , and stay stuck, you really have nothing to lose though , the part is no good as it sits.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:59 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
He's got more to lose because the system is now empty and must be re-charged. There is no good way to fix that hole. Just get a new line and be done with it. Experimenting is not worth it because each failure means another re-charge and another try.

John
Old 08-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Take the line to a shop that makes hydraulic lines and they can have it welded. Hose Man or your local equivalent.
Just make sure it is clean and no oil dripping out or they will charge you extra.
Any way it should be a lot cheaper than a new line.

Might check with Napa.
Jim
Old 08-05-2007, 08:25 PM

Thanks guys. On closer examination of this spot I found it not to be leaking from there. I let the system return to ambient temp for 2 hours about 95 degrees and put liquid detergent on the suspected area where the dipstick tube was rubbing and got no bubble activity. Jumped the gun with first post, sorry

The system did not leak completely down. as it was still cooling but freezes the evaporator coil and restricts ait flow after about 20 minutes. It also freezes the low side line in the engine compartment going into the evaporator coil. If I turn off the compressor for about 5 minutes the ice melts and the air flow returns with about 80 degree air temperature.

I had this same problem about two years ago, in 2005 and the dodge boys installed a new evaporator coil under warranty. It seems to be on a two year leak down cycle, very slow leak and now its out of warranty.

I haven't put gauges on it yet because mine won't fit on these hi/ lo side ports. Going to Habor Freight and around to look for new R_134 gauges tomorrow.

Anyways, maybe I should put some dye in and just recharge the system and look for the dye spot.
Any thoughts?

Had to make a trip from OKC to Guymon Oklahoma (540 miles round trip) yesterday in 95 degree heat, didn't know it was not cooling well when I started. The heat was bad enough but listning to the wife and her sister gripe and B____ really made it bad. LOL.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. Locate it first and fix it. Dye sounds great. At least it did not run out completely and require evacuating.

John