3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Air conditioning not working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I have the same issue on my truck. When you first get in the vehicle the temps are very different. Easily feel it by hand. I don’t drive my truck that often since I have a company truck but this weekend I went to Statesboro in it (25 min. drive) it did the same thing as everyone else when I first got going. When I got to Statesboro (4 lane blacktop) temps on the passenger side were coming down. I now it takes me 10 min. to get the truck up to operating temp. Only then should the electric mechanical fan clutch be activated. (Improve A/C performance). In Nissan’s they installed an additional electric fan on vehicles with mechanical fan clutches. It would come on as soon as the A/C was turned on to aid in the A/C performance. Even on electric fan only cars the fan would come on when the A/C was turned on. Unfortunately we do not have any room in our vehicles to install a pusher fan or puller fan inside the fan shroud. (Durango’s are like this). I am guessing here on my formulation of what is going on. I would need to install a gauge set and have an OBDII tool to prove my hypothesis. Before I could even come to a conclusion I would first need to do a health check of the entire A/C system. My 04 1500 dodge did not have this issue. Number one because the condenser had it’s own electric fan. It would run every time you turned the A/C on period. It was also on the driver’s side, only, away from the radiator. That was on the passenger side. I know that they would be using the same blend doors and evaporator system. To much money to have different systems for the same basic body style trucks with just different engine, transmission and springs.

Just a reminder. I am not a Tech anymore. I finished my degree and working as a SR. RF Engineer for a regional Wireless carrier. The area's that I exceeded in when I was a tech were, electrical, A/C, Control systems, Driveablity issues, cronnic Check Engine light on(they turned out to be mostly broke wires in wiring harness), I also did everything else. The things you will do to put yourself through College. Loved the work, Hated the PAY!!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03/04s had a memo to relocate the fin temp sensor because of freeze up.Its in a differant location on the evaporator on 05s and up.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't done the measurements but my guess one of these should fit if wanting a pusher fan for when the A/C is on.
http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page18.html

MikeyB
Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=Shanevrr]FYI when i charge a system i go by superheat or air discharge temp.

What is the Superheat?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll put my gauges on my truck this weekend and see what is going on. My system is not freezing up it just lacks on performance. I have never really looked at my vent design but it is funny how the passenger vents are not as cold as the driver's side. I even have a few fans that I may be able to install if they will fit.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:29 PM

Ac

I have a 06 that is doing the same thing . Cooler on the drivers side than on the passenger side . If anyone finds anything out , let us know .
Old 07-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Call D.C. and lodge a complaint.Tell them you want a file opened on it and its on 03 through 06 issue.SAME ISSUE since the 3Gs conception.Its NOT a dealer issue.Its a DESIGN issue.I called last Monday.Told THEM NOT to pass (the buck off)this off on the dealer etc.1-800-992-1997
Old 07-19-2006, 08:44 PM

Well, whether the low pressure switch is bad or the freon is low or the fin temp sensor is causing the vaporator to freeze up, I want it fixed. I know I will be calling the DC 800 number tomorrow. Hopefully DC resolves the issue and issues a recall.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 AM

Never have seen a post on a 3g with a bad low psi switch.Low freon,freeze over and poor ac cooling,right vent issues.Bet they won't issue a recall but IF enough OPEN a file.I got the impression the guy I talked to had heard it before.I mentioned diesel WEB sites,Rv sites,trailer sites all had same AC complaints about these trucks.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Shanevrr
kwpatton / low pressure switch could be bad, causing compressor to never shut off. then evap will freez up.

Shanevrr / Have you seen a post on a 3Gen having a low pressure switch gone bad?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by kwpatton
Shanevrr / Have you seen a post on a 3Gen having a low pressure switch gone bad?
nope, but you never know what it could be. its just mechanical switch that can be defective or wear out premuturaly. could be anything. there is only a couple things i can think of based on info you gave though.

kwpatton///superheat is basicly the suction line temp coming out of evaporator or firewall. i will charge to get that line temp as low as posible, when the temp bottoms out and starts going back up then thats how know that i have a proper charge. i use i thermocouple to check line temp when charging.

i just had my ac done on my 05 and they did not put enough gas in, i had to fix myself. caused by deer damage to my condensor, insurance claim.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 AM

Shanevrr///superheat is basicly the suction line temp coming out of evaporator or firewall. i will charge to get that line temp as low as posible, when the temp bottoms out and starts going back up then thats how know that i have a proper charge. i use i thermocouple to check line temp when charging.

Excuse my ignorance but why would the line temp start to go back up?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kwpatton
Shanevrr///superheat is basicly the suction line temp coming out of evaporator or firewall. i will charge to get that line temp as low as posible, when the temp bottoms out and starts going back up then thats how know that i have a proper charge. i use i thermocouple to check line temp when charging.

Excuse my ignorance but why would the line temp start to go back up?
no problem, when it starts going up then you are over charging. pressure equals temp. you can go by air temp coming out your vent too but you need to get inside cold first.

i only do this when i have problems and the charge doesnt seem to be right.

i have been doing commercial, auto, and residential refrigeration for about 10years. you learn a few tricks along the way.

i lot of equipment i work on does not have specs for charge so i have to charge by superheat or subcooling temps and autos work about the same way.

subcooling is the discharge temp compaired to the ambient temp. specs vary depending on gas type.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:13 PM

I agree with the super heat method. although I called it the "gee the low side isnt cold and the pressure is too low" But I wonder if they have speced the low 134a charge because there compressors are not holding up like I have been told by many poeple with 3 gen dodges. For D.C. to say the temp diffference is normal is
Old 07-29-2006, 12:03 AM

Where is the evaporator and fin sensor located in the engine compartment? Is it that black canister near the passenger side firewall?

Quick Reply: Air conditioning not working!