3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Air Con Temps at the Vents?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Con Temps at the Vents?

Well summers comin and my Air Conditioning took a dump on me. Actually I dont think it ever worked correctly but never had much use for it to know for sure. Anyway, what are the specs for the temp. at the vents with the varying fan speeds? That way I know what to look for when I pick it up at the dealership.

Joe
Old 03-24-2006, 01:52 PM

Vent temps are going to vary depending upon:

1. What you have the system set on outside air or recirculation mode (rec. mode will be colder by a 1-4 degrees)
2. Upon the outside ambient temp. (lower outside temp.= lower vent temp)
3. Fan speed (lower speeds will give lower temp. by a degree or two.
4. How fast you are traveling. Lower temp. when moving as a larger volume of air is passing through the A/C condenser thus making the system more efficient.

Having worked on the A/C systems of many makes and model vehicles the vent temps will be mid 30's say 34-37 degrees on med speed in recirculation mode for a good working system on a moderatly hot day. Say 95-100 degrees low humidity when driving down the road at 30+ mph. A very hot 108 degree day with high humidity will be lucky to see mid 40's temps.

Keeping the bugs off the condenser is great maintenance.

Some cars have a larger more efficient evaporator core that will allow for faster interior cool down times.

The best way to cool down your hot heat soaked vehicle that has been sitting in the sun. Is to crack the rear windows down 1-2" set the fan on high with the system in the fresh air mode. This will purge your hot 130+ degree cab of the hot air. After a mile or so roll up windows and switch to recirculation mode.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:57 PM

if you are going to check it yourself use an A/C thermometer in the center vent on medium speed recirculation mode traveling 30+ mph and wait for it to stabiize. Do not let the tech use an infared point and shoot temp gun on the vent grills. It is a good trick to show you a colder temp. reading. Our shop techs would use two A/C thermometers to get an accurate reading of vent temps before turning in performance test paperwork.