3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Aftermarket NAV units

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket NAV units

Hey there,, I know that this has been done before, but there is allways new stuff out. I had a salesperson trying to sell me the pioneer unit, avic something or other. Anybody ever use this one? Is there better? Also is there wireless cameras available, and if so any that can reach to the back of my 5er, it is 37' long

thanks

Kevin
Old 04-02-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have one yet, but I just ordered the Pioneer AVIC-D3. It was a great price I just could not pass up. It should be here Thursday, I will post some info on it as soon as I get it setup. The Z1/Z2 are also pretty popular, but for $1,000 more or so I couldn't justify it. I've also heard the voice activation is not very good on those units.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 PM

I don't think in dash units have caught up to stand alone units in terms of function, performance, or price yet. And the displays are located way over in the center of the dash. I prefer one at my fingertips and within easy view, especially with a backup camera. But in dash units are cool and work if a clean OEM type install is what you like.

Last I checked 9 months ago, there was a wide variety of wireless camera ranges, but none that would reach the back of a 5er, reliably. Many don't even reach the back bumper reliably. I suggest you try one from a place with a generous return policy. They also seemed to be susceptible to weather conditions. But there may be something newer by now.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

The AVIC-Z1 is great. It uses a hard drive to store the nav data, phone numbers, and 10 gigs of music ripped from CD's (it will auto-record your CD's and store them). You can get an optional BU cam from Pioneer.

I've tried the wireless camera route and they just don't work properly 100% of the time. In most cases the signal isn't as clear as a wired cam and they don't reach very far in range. You still have to run power wires for the wireless cams anyway, so it's not that much more work to run another wire to the cab and always have a perfect image.

You can get a brand new Z1 for a lot less than retail on Amazon or Ebay. If your cell phone is Bluetooth capable the optional BT module is a must have IMO.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Garmin 2700 or something similar if you just want something to look pretty get the Avic or I think even better is the Eclipse models (they will let you input information while moving the Avic will NOT). I have had them all.

And I went back to the Garmins... function for function they are hands down the best nav unit on the market. But they don't play movies or do the BU stuff.

My brother also tried an indash unit so the could control his Ipod and connect it too play movies on some other screens in his truck but said while he liked those features he is going to sell it and get what I have since the maps on most are just not that good or clear.

I have traveled to every state and never had a problem even in the boonies with the 2 Garmins I have owned, can't say that about the Pioneer and Eclipse units I have had...
Old 04-02-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by essgeetee
I don't have one yet, but I just ordered the Pioneer AVIC-D3. It was a great price I just could not pass up. It should be here Thursday, I will post some info on it as soon as I get it setup. The Z1/Z2 are also pretty popular, but for $1,000 more or so I couldn't justify it. I've also heard the voice activation is not very good on those units.
We must have ordered at the same time becuse mines coming in Wed or Thus (where you get yours? I got mine from Crutchfield with the free back up camara). From the reviews and other forums I have read the AVID-D3 is one of the best in its price range and thats why I went with it. Want to try to get it installed before I leave for Easter this weekend, would be nice to lesson to the Ipod and have the Nav going on the way to the ranch but it all depends on how much modifying I have to do to get it to fit. Will post pics when its all in and working
JW
Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subspd
I think even better is the Eclipse models (they will let you input information while moving the Avic will NOT). I have had them all.
The AVIC-Z1 WILL allow you to input address info while moving.

You must of changed head units quite a few times in the past 5 years cause there sure are a lot of them out there.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by subspd
And I went back to the Garmins... function for function they are hands down the best nav unit on the market. But they don't play movies or do the BU stuff. .
Just for clarification, Garmin makes a wide variety of units and at least the 7200 model has a video input so it will display a back up camera or video from most any source on its 7 inch display (bigger than the radio replacement units I think). It also has a MP3 player, XM radio input and other do dads. Has a SD card slot so you can dump music there or store it on the built in flash. Bring it inside connect to your PC via USB and load up your favorite POIs, music, videos or routes. It will not open cans or bottles, however.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by JWillms81
We must have ordered at the same time becuse mines coming in Wed or Thus (where you get yours? I got mine from Crutchfield with the free back up camara). From the reviews and other forums I have read the AVID-D3 is one of the best in its price range and thats why I went with it. Want to try to get it installed before I leave for Easter this weekend, would be nice to lesson to the Ipod and have the Nav going on the way to the ranch but it all depends on how much modifying I have to do to get it to fit. Will post pics when its all in and working
JW
Yep, same here! I see you live nearby... If you're having an installer do yours let me know where & how much. Haven't decided where I'm getting mine done at.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
The AVIC-Z1 WILL allow you to input address info while moving.

You must of changed head units quite a few times in the past 5 years cause there sure are a lot of them out there.

Last one I had would not the Eclipse you could ground the emergency brake sensor out and it would let you enter anything you wanted not the Avic. But the new ones may be different this was 2005. I actually have tried all of the ones you can get at Best Buy or Circuit City.

In my buisness it means sink or swim... And nothing has been better than the Garmins I have had (3 total).

And as a side note DO NOT get a Tom Tom if you want to get anywhere it didn't even have my house in it and I live in San Antonio...
Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

The Pioneer does everything I need it to...and then some. As much as I love my Z1 though, Garmin is definitely the best when it comes to GPS. Can't deny that.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 AM

For those wondering, there IS a "bypass" modification for the most AVIC units (D3 for sure) that will let you use any function while driving. Just grounding out the parking brake no longer works, the units have gyro sensors in them that can detect if you're moving. You'd be surprised how easy the new mod is.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by essgeetee
For those wondering, there IS a "bypass" modification for the most AVIC units (D3 for sure) that will let you use any function while driving. Just grounding out the parking brake no longer works, the units have gyro sensors in them that can detect if you're moving. You'd be surprised how easy the new mod is.

Care to share? Im going to try my hardest to get it in before this weekend when I get it and would like to get the bypass then so Im not jacking with it later.
Thanks
JW
Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JWillms81
Care to share? Im going to try my hardest to get it in before this weekend when I get it and would like to get the bypass then so Im not jacking with it later.
Thanks
JW
The bypass procedure varies from unit to unit. You can find instructions on how to bypass all the models at avic411.com.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM

I assume you lose the uconnect mirror functionality with all the aftermarket setups? And hi, I'm a new owner of an 07 2500 megacab 6.7.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket NAV units